GTR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In normal driving mode in the manual setting, does anyone find the downchanges using the paddles not as responsive as you feel they should be? For example, approaching a roundabout at 40 in 4 gear, I often find I'm pulling on the down selector three times in order to engage 2nd gear.

·
R35 Section manager
10,644 Posts
Do you normally use the car in semi auto and then sometimes in manual?

Often the first change from Semi auto to manual an extra pull is required. This shouldn't be all of the time though

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do drive in both. I've not noticed whether it occurs on the first downchange after switching or whether it's all the time. I'll check on my next drive. Nice one

·
Registered
106 Posts
Back in the day the GTR box was really quick. I had some time out from ownership and tried BMW and Porsche PDK which were a lot faster, and more intelligent.

I'm back in another GTR and the gear changes feel lethargic in comparison. I have all the latest software updates.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know exactly what you mean. Even on my old BMW 335d, the downchanges were instant with the paddles. I hope it is just the first downchange after switching between auto & man.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
I know exactly what you mean. Even on my old BMW 335d, the downchanges were instant with the paddles. I hope it is just the first downchange after switching between auto & man.
No it's not unfortunately. If you're in N downchanges are slow, and if you pull the paddle too close to the last pull it won't change down, so you pull again and there's your 3.

The good news is, if you put transmission into R it transforms downchanges.

Try it the same as you always do tomorrow, first in N, then in R, Each pull will change down, guaranteed :)

·
Registered
2,354 Posts

Often the first change from Semi auto to manual an extra pull is required. This shouldn't be all of the time though
It is all the time if you're in Auto, the first pull just changes from Auto to Manual.

·
R35 Section manager
10,644 Posts

It is all the time if you're in Auto, the first pull just changes from Auto to Manual.

Yes I meant it shouldn't be doing that everytime the gears are changed.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
No it's not unfortunately. If you're in N downchanges are slow, and if you pull the paddle too close to the last pull it won't change down, so you pull again and there's your 3.

The good news is, if you put transmission into R it transforms downchanges.

Try it the same as you always do tomorrow, first in N, then in R, Each pull will change down, guaranteed :)

This is very sound advice, I always drive in R now as N is so lethargic.

The GTR gearbox is still incredibly quick when your pushing it in R mode, it's not very comfortable with pottering around.

I guess a combination of being old tech and also bear in mind it can take 600lbft+ stock which very few DCT's can do even today, its like a heavy clutch pedal on a high torque manual - that extra engineering in one aspect appears to come at the expense of a little refinement around town.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Race mode does improve things slightly but you still have to pause between downchanges on the paddle shift before it will accept the next lower gear.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Race mode does improve things slightly but you still have to pause between downchanges on the paddle shift before it will accept the next lower gear.
You shouldn't have to pause, it will downchange on every pull. Cruising at 40 in 4th, pull the down paddle twice (double downshift) in R mode and you should be instantly in 2nd at around 4000 rpm.

But when off throttle and braking it reacts less sharply but still super quick.

R mode downchanges at 100mph and braking hard are fantastic, but unfortunately the car isn't capable of braking quick enough to fully apppreciate 4 or 5 rapid downchanges.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Im pretty sure I have double downshifts on mine and in R mode its instant on the first change, if I double tap it then the moment revs are right it will do the 2nd downshift on its own.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Yeah, some tuners advertise gearbox software to get double downshifts, but as far I know it's standard on stock cars in R mode. My mate has a stock 09 car with a 2011 new gearbox that doubles down as standard. All mine have doubled down as stock.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts