GTR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a NISMO exhaust fitted since when I bought the car

Now as some of you may know, at high speeds, say above 100-120, I get smoke appearing from the ashtray.

Now the whole transmission tunnel gets very hot, and I mean hot, you can't keep your fingers on it for more than a "few" seconds.

Also I've checked the oil in the gearbox and drained and refilled it, checked the gear rubber boot, which is also fine.

So what I wanted to know is if the std. car or even if some of you have a downpipe heat shield.

My car has all the other heat shields, i.e. rear box, centre box, catalyst, but nothing on the downpipes.

Should there be one.

Many thanks

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Have you had your cam timing and ignition and fuel settings checked.

It is possible that it is fuel burning in the downpipes that is the source of the heat.

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well there doesn't seem to be any symptoms.

No excessive black smoke. etc. Also the car seems to run fine.

And also took out the spark plugs the other day to check their condition, and they were fine along with the colour on them. The engine was burning fine.

Thanks for the suggestion anyway.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
The air / fuel mixture may be fine, just burning in your exhaust through bad cam timing or retarded ignition.

Your check on the plugs is not conclusive.

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can I follow the ignition timing on the sticker in the engine bay.

Will that be ok???

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
That is a good start, should be 18° / 20° at idle.

Worst scenario is your cambelt has jumped a tooth and that is the cause of your problem. If it has jumped one, it may jump another and soon the valves will be touching your pistons.

Only a suggestion, but get it checked by one of the tuners that do this for a living.

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Solved the problem of the smoke.

This was the gear gaitor but the second one that mounts onto the gearbox itself.

Cheers for your help anyway

1 - 7 of 7 Posts