Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
had a great day at elvington today, only a few cars, but all top
spec. also some very fast bikes!
superb blast down the 2 mile runway, thanks to john and rob for the
passenger rides

we had a two up 13.5s 1/4 in johns 300zx, and a 155mph top speed run,
and we also saw 160+mph on clock of Robs supra , which was a genuine 156mph at 1.5miles into headwind!

some times from today

ians skyline (NOT SURE WHAT SPEC)
12.9s 1/4
158mph top speed at 1.5miles

willy(!)
Audi Rs4 estate- awesome ESTATE car
13.04s 108mph 1/4 mile and 157.8mph top

robs supra vvti turbo
13.05s 111mph then did a 12.8s 1/4
158mph

jons 300zx 13.12s 111mph
156.3mph

tims skyline R33 std
13.8s 1/4
150ish top speed?

subaru Sti 265bhp
13.7s 1/4 and 136mph top speed at 1.5miles

suzuki hyabusu 1360 turbo
10.3s 137mph 1/4 mile
186.7mph at 1.5miles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fireblade
10.8s 1/4 and 166mph

honda blackbird
10.4s 131mph 1/4 mile
168mph

many thanks to all who came, those who didnt missed a superb day
some footage was shot for a promo video, and also captured a massive spin in a skyline, on incar camera, will be on net soon!

next event there
sunday 28th july-email for a place
£30 per car/bike for head to head drag runs only, all day.
(no top speed )
rgds

·
Registered
666 Posts
Glen,
Is that because you only need half that in order to reach your limit, or is it that you will need to stop halfway and get some snaps taken?:D

Seriously though I imagine timing at 1.5 miles allows plenty of time to slow down, but may restrict top speed, and your concern is probably related to obtaining a true top speed?

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Top Speed

Yeah thats the point Jed. I only done one before, that was the Revs Top Speed Challenge at Alconbury, and was dissapointed with the distance.

It goes back to the old discussion that it shouldn't be sold as a top speed challenge if you don't reach your Top Speed.

It seemed to me that the Alconbury one was for 206's, XR2's, RST's, R5's etc.,

Ah well we'll see :D .

glen

·
Registered
234 Posts
Top day

Chris
Thanks for organising a really good day - as you said, a top bunch of people and just great having so much space to play in. And weren't the bikers a good bunch? None of that 'we're quicker than you' stuff, just good chat about how we wished that we were going the other way with the wind behind us, rather than into the teeth of the gale. God knows what that suzuki would have done with a tailwind.
Sorry i had to head off a bit early, but thanks again.
Question for any of the skyline owners - Tim and I both had big spins after the downpour: in each case the car wouldn't start up again for a minute or so after stalling. That was not a great minute and I just wondered whether anyone knew whether it is someting that happens automatically. We were both in 34s.
Sammy

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Watcha Sammy

Glad to hear you had a good day.

Stalling, yeah mine cut out after a spin at Kemble but I managed to restart it quick as I was worried about the Turbo :eek: .

Hows life back 'up North' then :) . Looking forward to le Mans.

glen

·
Registered
234 Posts
Up Norf

Hello Glen
Life's just grand up north now that i've found another soul up here with the good taste to invest in Bayside Blue:smokin:
Thanks for the comments re cut out - mine just wouldn't fire up at all. I think that it wanted me to leave it well alone.
Le Mans is going to be great but sadly my mate Guy won't be driving cos Bentley are only running one car this year, being the Audi want to invest all their effort in making sure they get a 1-2.
Do you know if there is any particular place where all the skylines convene? I go in the campsite by the airfield and i haven't seen a skyline yet
:(
As for elvington - great place and look forward to seeing big bruisers punch it out in august - chris was saying that all of the vipers entered have been tuned!

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Site by the airfield

Oh don't remind me. Last year I was so lucky to get out of their at about 3am as it was a complete bog. My car was covered in mud, all up the arches. Was my first time as well :D .

I think a few of the guys are going sammy so keep an eye on here.

Nice to see you've got a double :) .

Keep well.

glen

·
Registered
234 Posts
"a reasonably good run"

praise indeed from the forum thread king:D
yes - thanks for the advice dirk, it was really helpful. I stuck with it pretty close but since my balls are made of alloy rather than titanium i was probably dropping the clutch at 5k rather than 6k. It worked well enough though and as a beginner i was dead chuffed. disappointed not to crack 160 though. I can feel a financial haemorrhage coming on:eek:

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Glen/rest

the top ten shootout will have the speed traps at 1/2 mile for the drag runs head to head, and at approx 1.5miles for the top speed. we could push it to around 1.7miles, but that is very limiting the braking and we want it to be safe!!! no one had any probs yesterday braking at that distance.
when paul w did his 243mph there he used the same runway and managed to slide off on one run into the grass at the end under massive braking!

we would normally run a flying start for the proper "top speed only" events, but that wont be poss for the top ten shootout ,as the cars queing to run will be where the flyers would normally start. i think 1.5miles will be sufficient for a genuine speed comparison, as all the cars going are quality! dont forget we are not billing it as "top speed only", its a combined affair with timed drag runs, top speed trap plus a handling course that is also timed.
i accept its not a genuine top speed reading at that point for some of the ultimate cars, but without yesterdays headwind 160-170mph is on the cards very easily, and some will crack 170-180 i reckon on the day.
the hyabusa did 187mph yesterday in that distance, Stus skyline R32 cracked 166mph last time on a shorter distance than yesterday.

the revs day at alconbury was done on 1.1miles and although i agree too many smaller power cars ran there, the supras and skylines there still cracked 160 and 170mph.
(176mph was best supra)

i will be organising a "top speed" only event at elvington at some point, using the full runway, and with flying starts, where you will be at 60+mph before triggering the clock. due to the safety aspect of the run up that will have to be a seperate event on its own.

the usuable runway at elvington is longer than bruntingthorpe, flatter, smoother, and has no cars/vans parked at the end BTW!!

and finally, the queues will be minimal in comparison, as 3 cars at a time will be ready to run , 2 on the main runway and one on the circuit!
regards
chris

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
for the top ten shootout in august i have reserved about 10places for exceptional cars, so anyone can email me direct.
we had a guy with a 270bhp elise turbo apply, which should be nice!

as for open events at elvington, next date is Sunday 28th july, but i believe we can only run drag runs at this one, head to head.
if enough interest, i can see if we can run top speed runs, but would need a confirmed 15 cars minimum.

otherwise it will be 1/4 mile head to head drag runs, using start lights as per santa pod, and will be cheaper as its drag only, being £30 per car on the day.
you can race against cars or sports bikes, as its a combined day!

email me direct to confirm if attending please
cheers
chris

1 - 16 of 16 Posts