GTR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, might be a silly question. I know on the street, front wheel and rear wheel size should be same due to GTR being 4wd, but what about on a drag race? can I use wider rear wheel? something like front 17x8, rear 17x9 something like that?

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
I guess you could go wider on rear if you wished but has to be same circumference so you would have to drop a profile to increase the width and still have same circumference.

Tyres must have the same overall circumference front and rear or very close -otherwise the four wheel drive system will suffer as it won't be able to turn the wheels at the same speed which means something has to give - usually the clutch in the transfer box - not good.

for example: 275/35-18 and 275/40-17 275/50-15 are all just about close enough to use front or rear for drag.

Look up tyre size chart on google you'll see what I mean.

Generally speaking you need a taller sidewall, smaller diameter wheel for drag to allow some "give" when launching. Ludders uses 16" wheels, Andy barnes and Gary Passingham use 15" wheels. But these all require smaller diameter front discs.

I used a pair of 275/50-15 Nitto Drag Radials on a pair of 15x8 Work Meisters on the rear only last season but the rear calipers needed a bit of filing to get them to fit. Advan 15" wheels go straight on.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
820 Posts
Go as smaller rim as you can get over your brakes. R32 gtr rims are great with a set of MT's on them, but I know with ludders car he has r32 front brakes on them so he can get those wheels on.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts