GTR Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From a scan of recent posts and listening to a few youtube videos it seems that fitting a Milltek Y Pipe improves and increases the sound of the GTR, which i think is needed! I know that it may well invalidate the warranty (but is unlikely to actually cause any damage as it doesnt add any horsepower). But this is an acceptable risk in my view. My concern is if it significantly increase noise levels when you are cruising along the motorway at say 85 and just want to listen to the sound system or make telephone calls. Can anyone advise? Is the noise a bit worse, much worse? Hardly noticeable, unbearable?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Welcome to the Forum :clap:

You do get a bit of a drone at about 2500rpm, but it doesn't intrude enough to bother you when you are trying to hold a conversation or make a call etc.

Anyway, just put your foot down and its the last thing on your mind :D

·
Registered
968 Posts
Yes agree, some drone at 2500-3000 rpm, easy sortable by shifting 1 gear lower. No issue at all. Sounds great. And surely you will void your warrantee with the Cobb AP anyway....

·
Registered
93 Posts
My HPC tells me that when you fit a Y Pipe they have to remove a heat shield which prevents heat getting to the gearbox. Is this true? I have never read this before?!

·
Registered
376 Posts
Hi Rellom - I'm in the same position as you, considering a y-pipe - one of my concerns, aside from warranty, was that it would make the overfuelling problem worse as I've not quite got the bottle to get one of these accessport devices...

When 'making progress' the rate at which the fuel needle drops is quite astonishing! :)

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
some of you guy's oem y-pipe will be looking like this by now

Crispy Rice, that doesn't make any sense.

Bazza, yes its true just adding a y-pipe will result in poorer fuel economy. Its not really recommend to change anything on the car without also making the necessary ecu calipration adjustments.

Although still not exactly warranty friendly, we can make you a stage 0 with no boost increase. Improved fuel eco, reduce the flat spot.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Thanks for the feedback Ben - going to have some thinking time about the y-pipe, I don't really want the fuel economy to get much worse as its my daily driver so the Stage 0 is an interesting idea. Then again if I'm going to kiss goodbye to my warranty by playing with the ECU I may as well do it in style and get some more performance out of it....sounds like a slippery slope!

·
Registered
968 Posts
Thanks for the feedback Ben - going to have some thinking time about the y-pipe, I don't really want the fuel economy to get much worse as its my daily driver so the Stage 0 is an interesting idea. Then again if I'm going to kiss goodbye to my warranty by playing with the ECU I may as well do it in style and get some more performance out of it....sounds like a slippery slope!
Welcome to the dark side. Spot on. Enjoy!

·
Registered
634 Posts
Don't forget that adding a Y Pipe dumps a CAT which runs hot holds heat. So there is a benefit like the fact that your cup holders stop acting like cup warmers.

Kp

·
Through the Night
4,267 Posts
Just fit a y- pipe and you might as well get the correct map done on the access port ,as you said any tinkering with the ECU or fitting a Cobb is automatic no warranty any way. fact.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I've just had a y-pipe fitted by my HPC with no mention of "better not do that"....... Your warranty blah blah...... They actually stock the y-pipe.

So I'm not worried at all, just want to hear the new vocals.... While saving up for my cobb.

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts
Personally I don't like the drone of the Y pipe.
So I'm going for a full Milltek exhaust system from Litchfields to bring the noise down a little and make it likely I won't break the sound limit at track days.

Problem is, around here traffic in all lanes of every main road seems to do 60 to 70mph. I have to listen to it droning away. So when not using the car for a bit of fun the noise annoys me.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Personally I don't like the drone of the Y pipe.
So I'm going for a full Milltek exhaust system from Litchfields to bring the noise down a little and make it likely I won't break the sound limit at track days.

Problem is, around here traffic in all lanes of every main road seems to do 60 to 70mph. I have to listen to it droning away. So when not using the car for a bit of fun the noise annoys me.
Check out the new 102mm system form GTC, its a four inch system but lots quieter than the old 90mm race version. It is also slightly heavier, but its worth it due the engineering, stunning peice of kit.

I do agree though, an exhaust that is too intrusive can ruin the driving pleasure.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts