GTR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there:wavey:

I've been hunting around for an R33 gtr for a while now and one has come up thats a bit too good to pass up.....

Mint car but has a Drifting diff on it....which I understand is a 2-way diff....

Now my question is can I use this on the road?
Not for drifting of course.....i've been told you can drive it but you get a knock when going round corners normally?
is this right and does it make it impossible to drive?

many thanks

Steve

·
Premium Member
3,840 Posts
The standard GT-R diff in the 32 and non-V-Spec 33's is a 2 way. R34 non-V-Spec is a helical diff.

It will be fine to drive but the clunking on tight low speed corners can be irritating.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Yea, i have a friend with an RS13 with a Nismo 2-Way LSD and the clunking sound in the low speed tight corners can get annoying intially but after it all we got used to it. And his car is roughly bone stock at the moment & his daily driver, so yea its "streetable".

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks very much gents, just what I needed to know :bowdown1: :bowdown1:

Going to look at it on Saturday :nervous:

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
also driving a drift-spec R32 GTS at the moment. The LSD clunking does really affect drivability - you just get these popping noises when maneuvering in slow tight spots like in a parking garage. The main problem is that the car is two inches off the road - way too low for the street. I'd raise it but it's not my car, only a loaner while my GTR gets healed.

·
Banned
7,219 Posts
depends how much comfort you expect.

i happily drive drift cars round with welded diffs round as daily drivers, but others call that terrible, dangerous, all kinds of crap.

a 2way wouldnt bother me in the slightest.

PS, a 2way diff dont make a car a drift car by a long shot ;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not too sure how converted this car is....it's just come off the boat and i've been told it's a mint drift car with a single turbo conversion etc.....
I'm only buying it as a bit of fun and investment as it's going so cheap, it be rude not to :flame:

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
A 2 way diff gives limited lock when accelerating or decelerating. It's used to give better drive out of corners and more control on the limit. Doesn't make a drift car, but is the most important part of one.

2 way diffs should have their oil changed regularly, as the clutches give off small metal particles in hard use. I change my diff oil on the drift AE86 after every drift practice day since the diff gets really hot and takes a lot of abuse on the track. Oil comes out grey every time.

Not looking after them, means the diff and bearings can wear prematurely.

Miguel.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts