GTR Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much benefit is it to drill the std oil returns? How much are people opening them out by? Had a chat with my engine builder who did agree it was a good idea.

Thoughts and views needed.

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
Well this has been debated big time, coupled with catch can arrangements and which side of the sump / crank case to feed back into. There is lots of (very detailed) info on this on syklines australia that I would recomend you spend some time reading.

The consensus is that it is worth drilling the oil return channels and also enlarging the collector channel - if you hold the gasket up against it you can see there is lots of room to enlarge. use a dremmel for this and a drill, followed by a reamer for the oil drain.

The other modification is to drill an additional external oil return from the head, which is in the middle at the back of the engine. Fit a larger drain / pipe down to the sump which further assists head drainage / avoidance of oil starvation.

When I thought I would get another GTR, I was initially thinking I would get an R32 and embark on doing those mods myself. In the end I went for the R35 which like when I had my R32 GTR years ago, I was scared to touch it as it was too 'special'.

Hope that helps?

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
i drilled my head and block out to 10mm same size as the hole in the cometic headgasket.. no issues on track. but i h ave the head drain, air/oil seperator and a 5 section oil catch can?. i bought a 2 foot long10mm drill and drilled them by hand lol..

·
Registered
9,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, just doing some more research into this before I commit to drilling the block.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts