GTR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
so.. topic says it all.

theres a wealth of information on this website about how the RB can make insane numbers, but the driveability/reliability issue is scattered all over the place without any concrete amount of information.

at which point in the long list of aftermarket mods is driveability/reliability start to become an issue with the RB26? building an engine properly is of particular interest of course, but what are the shortcomings of aiming at a power level over the 550ish mark that the stock internals can take reliably?

i'm aware of the fact that higher capacity along with hundreds of hours of labor can get you practically anything, but im interested in the more "reasonable" and cost effective builds, in the order of forged and balanced std capacity internals

so how do some of these parts affect driveability,reliability, the sound, feel, emissions

ill start a short list and some of your can add more based on your experiences

cams (rough idle with bigger ones and power limitations with smaller ones?)
injectors (rough idle? fuel consumption? emissions?)
forged pistons/rods (piston slap? longetivity?)
twin/triple plate cluthes (heavy clutch pedal? hard to drive in stop/go traffic?)
6/8pot brakes (brake feel?)
valve springs/guides (??)
various stage headwork(emissions?)
race bearings (??)

feel free to add anything that changed the characteristics of your car and at what power level it was needed

thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
injectors (rough idle? fuel consumption? emissions?)

I run 1000cc injectors and do 8km pr liter of fuel on the highway if you keep off boost. I guess it depends alot on how that map is ( running 680bhp )

twin/triple plate cluthes (heavy clutch pedal? hard to drive in stop/go traffic?)

Have R3C OS Giken tripple plate and it is not really hard to push down, it take a a few days to get used too and it is very good to drive even in the city.
Drove about 1100km in one go in the car with ½ the time in roadwork on the german motorway, stop and go all the time, 9 hours straight. So overall a good clutch.

·
Registered
2 Posts
well i cant speak for the rb 26 but i have a rb25 with

750 cc injectors
a gtk 550 turbonetics turbo
a twin plate exedy clutch
jun manifold
front mount intercooler
dejetro apexi power fc
running 1.5 bar of boost

completly stock internals

making 520 bhp @ 7,800 and 420 ft/lb of torque

have been running this for 2 years now about 25000 miles

runs as good as gold. no rough idle fuel consump is 28 mpg on motorway under boost not sure buy probably about 18 mpg lol
clutch is only a little heavier than stock. it seems a safe power for stock internals. o and i use the car for drifting aswell as road use so it is driven hard.
only issue is emmisions because the cat had to be removed.

·
Registered
202 Posts
as above running twin plate exedy and hks kai tubby, car is easily driven, not much power low down till you hit 4 .5 k revs, also sard 800cc injectors, runs fine easy to drive

1 - 4 of 4 Posts