GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've picked up my friends fresh import R32 GTR - I'm in Southampton he's in Coventry. I need to drive it up to Coventry at some point in the next few weeks and obviously its not registered so would be illegal to drive there, and as I dont have trade insurance I dont know how about getting insurance for 1 day so I'm thinking of just risking it and doing the drive without insurance as its only 2ish hrs worth it driving.

I've never done it before so I dont know what the risk of getting pulled over is, and if I did get pulled over what would happen? so I'm asking if its actually worth the risk or just find another means of getting the car there?

Thanks

·
Registered
341 Posts
I would imagine its not worth the risk, the thoughts of explaining to your mate how his car was impounded, not good!!
Surely the costs of transporting it wouldn't be any more than £200? Well worth it IMO

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol yea we've chatted about it and hes fine with me driving it up uninsured, hes done it before with quite a few fresh imports and has never been pulled over so he thinks I should be alright, especially if I drove late at night like 1am. What would be worst case scenario you think? a fine and some points in my licence?

·
Registered
451 Posts
. What would be worst case scenario you think? a fine and some points in my licence?
1 year ban probably then wont get insured when you try too. car prob be crushed and if you crash and hurt anybody prison. Dont be stupid and risk anybody lives doing something like that and get it transported or pay someone with traders to drive it to your home cant belive your even thinking of doing such a stupid thing :flame:

·
Registered
251 Posts
Im sure they would impound it for a bit till they got all the info on who owns it, and suspended your licence for 90 days, maybe more.

·
Premium Member
4,447 Posts
May I suggest this really is a pretty daft post.

No one is going to agree that you driving anywhere uninsured is anything other than irresponsible.
Especially in a car that isnt even legal , isnt motD and hasnt been driven before for any distance.

And its not even your car -

Tell your "mate" if he wants it driven illeagally to do it himself after all hes done it so many times before

get it transported Its going to cost a fair bit in petrol anyway

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
May I suggest this really is a pretty daft post.

No one is going to agree that you driving anywhere uninsured is anything other than irresponsible.
Especially in a car that isnt even legal , isnt motD and hasnt been driven before for any distance.

And its not even your car -

Tell your "mate" if he wants it driven illeagally to do it himself after all hes done it so many times before

get it transported Its going to cost a fair bit in petrol anyway
+1

PM me if you want it trailored, i might be able to help

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the replies, to be honest I only thought about doing it cause I didn't think it would be that big of a deal, but then again didn't know what the consequences would be. I though people did this all the time when picking up an unregistered imported car?

So what about if I got insurance? from what I've read its only legal to drive an unregistered car to a pre-booked MOT, but I've heard of people driving long distance without a pre-booked MOT and have been pulled over but they showed the police all the documents and insurance forms etc and they were free to go :nervous:

·
Premium Member
4,447 Posts
True ; it is perfectly legal to drive a car without an MOT to an MOT station for a pre booked MOT. Its the insurance that will be the problem .
Only cars with a reg no. can be insured so no insurance company will give you private insurance without a one . (thats how the insurance database records insurance)

I have trade plates and you pay per year for them which effectively taxes the car you are driving, You still need MOT and insurance . As above no MOT is fine as long as you are driving to a test center .
if you have trade plates the registration will be on your trade insurance so the car is insured and recorded on the police database.

you may be missing something - what reg no are you going to put on the car.

If you dont have trade plates you only have two options because you need an MOT before you can register the car and get a reg no and therefore insure the cart

1 No number plates
If you dont put any on a pull is almost a given as soon as a police cars sees you and when you are stopped you have no insurance so .........................real trouble

2 put a false number on - but if you get stopped .....................................real trouble for sure

hope this puts things in perspective for you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yea after reading all the hostile responses from the friendly guys over at skylineowners.com I think its definitely not worth driving it without insurance now.

So your saying that basically its fine to drive it with insurance, but not without plates? for normal insurance I know you can insure using the VIN number, although I don't know how about getting just 1 days worth of insurance.

My mates garage does have trade plates which they could post to me, if I put those on then I would be completely insured?

·
Premium Member
4,447 Posts
No what I am saying is it isnt ok to drive it without insurance and that if you dont have a number plate or trade plates you wont get far.

Trade plates dont insure anyone . They are insured like a car on a trade insurance policy and your name has to be on it.

But if your name is on the database as being insured to use the trade plates then its legal to drive ( as long as its to a prebooked MOT ;) )

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Don't do it!...

people who think like yourself and have a crash are the reason why us inoccent drivers who HAVE insurance goes up each year... Don't be selfish .. just get insurance :)

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Unless the loophole has now been closed

you do not need numberplates on an unregistered imported car to drive it on the road as long as it is booked in at a place that will be carring out convertion work to enable it to be uk registered

you are not supposed to display tradeplates on that car either, using them comes under misuse of tradeplates

i have been stopped in a car returning from Southampton docks to my workshop, Mr Plod wasn't very happy to say the least, even more so when i asked him to check up on the rules before issuing a ticket for no numberplates, he didn't i appealed the ticket and it was quashed

IT DOES NEED INSURANCE

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ah right ok, Well dont think my name will be on the database, I would just be putting the plates in the car and thats it.

Don't do it!...

people who think like yourself and have a crash are the reason why us inoccent drivers who HAVE insurance goes up each year... Don't be selfish .. just get insurance :)
Yea thats why I started this thread to find out more information, now I've been convinced to get insurance :cool:

Unless the loophole has now been closed

you do not need numberplates on an unregistered imported car to drive it on the road as long as it is booked in at a place that will be carring out convertion work to enable it to be uk registered

you are not supposed to display tradeplates on that car either, using them comes under misuse of tradeplates

i have been stopped in a car returning from Southampton docks to my workshop, Mr Plod wasn't very happy to say the least, even more so when i asked him to check up on the rules before issuing a ticket for no numberplates, he didn't i appealed the ticket and it was quashed

IT DOES NEED INSURANCE
yea and so far that garage can be any distance away? However it does say on the DVLA website that its legal to drive the car from the docks to first destination, whats to say the first destination isn't 140 miles away.

So how do you display the trade plates then? that sounds slightly ridiculous.

how much was the ticket? is that all that happened?

·
Registered
26,138 Posts
dont be a complete muppet

yourl get pulled at the dartford bridge without plates

just get a low loader, dont be a pikey

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
yea and so far that garage can be any distance away? However it does say on the DVLA website that its legal to drive the car from the docks to first destination, whats to say the first destination isn't 140 miles away.

So how do you display the trade plates then? that sounds slightly ridiculous.

how much was the ticket? is that all that happened?
you do not use trade plates

have with you-

all import paperwork
copy of insurance
driving licence
copy of pre booked appointment or letter confirming

make sure tyres have tread & lights work, any stock numbers written on the front screen are removed

i was issued with a fixed £30 fine , which was quashed when i wrote in and explaied why it had no numberplates, DVLA also told me using my tradeplates was not proper use of them

i have driven over 50 vehicles back from the docks like this (some years ago now and the rules may of changed) i was only ever stopped once

1 - 20 of 28 Posts