GTR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys,

As a lot of you know I am selling my car.
I am thinking about an R32 GTR but I have never driven one.

Could someone enlighten me as to how they drive compared to the R33 GTR V-spec ?

I have heard good things about them so I would like to hear it from the horses mouth so to speak.

I would have thought that the shorter wheel base would make for a completely different automotive experience.
Any input welcomed.

/Steve

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Just wondering...

Steve,

Just out of interest, whats making you want to loose the R33 in favour of an R32?

Cheers,

Dan

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There are a number of factors.

1. I always wanted an R32 but they (in my eyes) are not a sleek as a 33 so I went for the 33 a few years ago.

2. I want a bit more power than I have in my current 33.

3. Cost. I can have an R32 set up with plenty of mods for less cash than the R33 as it sits on my drive.

4. Job security, I currently have a 20k ish car sitting on my drive that I use twice a week if I am lucky. This money is probably better diverted into some pure fun. Particularly as I work for Ericsson, and in the last 2 years they have downsized their workforce by some 50% . Makes sense to me to get the expensive car off of the drive and get something different.

5. Above statement into consideration, getting the expensive car off of the drive. What does this leave me with options wise ?
I want a car that goes like or better than my car. I want it to be reliable and handle well. I want to have less money tied up in it for job reasons. the only choice is an R32 as I see it. I couldn't imagine my world without the fun/fear combination that the skyline provides.

6. I plan to have a stripped out interior, roll cage etc.. inside, body kit vents and scoops(tastefully done) on the outside.
My car has only just done 20k miles inside it is mint outside it is good. I couldn't be responsible for defacing the nicest car I have ever owned by putting those mods into it. Plus with all of the money tied into it I couldn't afford to do the way I wanted to.

So after several seconds of judging against the competition I made a really easy decision. Do up an R32 GTR that way I retain the adrenaline and performance, and I gain 10k in the bank.
a win win situation.

But what are they like to drive ?

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Damn good reasons that man! Wish I could give you a huge write-up on driving an R32, but I've still only been a few miles in mine :rolleyes: and more to the point its only a GTS4, not a GT-R...

Try speaking to Abbey, Marks personal choice of car is an R32 V-Spec, and I'm sure he's driven a plethora of other R33, and R34 models to boot...

I hear that the R32 is a little more "seat-of-the-pants", kinda "will we get there alive" kinda car :D Hopefully I'll confirm it soon enough, I do have plans to extract semi-GT-R power from my RB20DET, but when finances allow. Got quite a lot planned for next year, just a matter of getting my car on the road then I can kickstart a few things into action :D

Good luck Steve, maybe someone here would let you drive their R32??

Cheers,

Dan

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes that could be the way to go.
I should have a word with Malc he lives dan sarf.

I'll have to have a word with some people.

GTR power from an RB20, that is a fair project, does it involve putting in a rb26 by any chance ?

/Steve

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Not as daunting as it sounds ... when I say RB26 power, I mean factory RB26 power from an RB20, I'm not talking 600Hp here :D

Its about 210 factory (stop that sniggering at the back!) and already has an induction kit and mines VX-Rom, first phase of whoosh, pair of GT-R Steel-internal turbos on, front-mounted intercooler ... See what that releases, then look at perhaps the fuelling side of things.

Thing is, the GTS4 has a lower final drive than the GT-R (so I'm told) and if my sources are correct, a 260Hp GTS4 can whup a standard R32 GT-R hands down. Obviously the big lug of 2.6 torque isnt going to be there, but it should make a fair street car :D

Cheers,

Dan

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
Steve,

I've driven an R32 mate, but alas i cannot compare it to an R33 - because i haven't driven a 33 !!!

All i can say is that i REALLY liked the R32....very impressive machine.

Daz

·
Registered
426 Posts
Response for DanOh

On the subject of extracting power from an R32 GTS-t, I have just purchased some video's from High Performance Imports, these are of Jap motors in Japan Drag Racing & Drifting, but filmed and narrated by Aussies. On one tape there is an R32 GTS-T with a large single turbo running a 10.02 1/4 mile !!!!!

They also do a monthly magazine which seems very Skyline biased, also called High Performance Imports. To find out more go to www.hot4s.com and click on "other mags" which will take you to HPI
For those of you that know me I think I have just experienced the ultimate xmas present.....the wife has just bought me an R32 GTR with 440BHP!!!!!!!!!
Guess I will have too re-think my list for her now!!!!!!!!

Kev

·
Registered
12 Posts
To answer the initial question of driving differences between R32GTR ans R33GTR V-Spec.

The R32 is a twitchy car in comparrison. I found that in sweeping corners the 33 Vspec was far more settled and was less prone to getting upset by mid corner bumps, camber changes etc.

The braking performance of the 33 is far superior.

As a point to point long distance car I have no doubt at all that the ss Vspec is capable of chewing up the miles with far less stress to the driver and doesnt give that "on the edge" feel when being pushed hard.

Were it not for the fact that I have poured twice as much into the R32 in mods as what I paid for it I would be into an R33 V Spec in a flash.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I was talking to Mark from Abbey before I bought my R32. He probably the best source for comparisons between the r32 and r33 because he owns both of them. I think he uses the r32 and the wife has the r33.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Thank ya kev!

Kev,

Thanks for that link dude! I heard there are a few guys on SDU with some flame-spitting kicka$$ RB20DET's... Will have to investigate :D

Cheers,

Dan

·
Registered
167 Posts
Hi Steve

Are u going to the Grasshopper Meet on the 21st ??

The 33 V-Spec is a very stable ride and you don't really get the feeling you are driving the car (IMHO). I have driven both and the my 32 Non-Vspec is a completely different drive to the 33.

I can not comment on how the 33 gets with more horses, I have not driven a tuned one, just one with exhaust and air filters.

My 32 certainly keeps you on ya toes.... But I like that, you feel part of it, getting the back end to step out is very easy but you can push and push and push all you like. The ride is completely different, as you say the car is shorter, lighter and has different suspension.

I think the feel you get makes you respect the power you've got so you go too mad and loose it completly.

IMHO i think that the 32 is more responsive on turn in and you get proper feel through the curves.

The 33 gives you more confidence from the first time you sit in it, in the 32 you have to build your confidence by getting to know the car and how far you can push it.

You never know mate I might let you have a drive.;)

Malc

1 - 13 of 13 Posts