GTR Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys as above. :p

Any ideas how long it will take if I leave around 9.30 am on thursday. I need to be at airport latest at 3.00 pm. Never been to Glasgow before so would appreciate any info on the best route ,to avoid any traffic jams. Also any problems in parking the Gtr in the car parks at the airport? . Obviously have an idea on the route and , in addition will get the first chance to use co pilot on my i phone. Truthfully the route seems quite straight forward and prob dont need sat nav, but, nevertheless would appreciate any info. :thumbsup:

Thanks

Khalid.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hi Khalid,

I travel regularly from Glasgow to Manchester. Very easy route. Take the M61 from manchester which takes you on to the M6 which then carries on to the M74 & from there take the M8 to Glasgow airport.
It normally takes me about 2 & half hours but thats not sticking to the speed limit :D.
If you stick to the speed limits the Journey should take you no more than 3 hours but there are a few roadworks on the way up at the moment so allow a little extra time for that.

If the weather stays dry it'll be great drive up but try not to get carried away on the straights. Watch out when you get past Carlisle in Dumfries & Galloways as there's a lot of coppers about hiding & in unmarked cars :thumbsup:

Kal

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thats very generous of you. How long does it take to walk to the airport terminal?
Thanks for the offer will let you know if thats fine with you.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The drive should be OK but just beware when coming into Glasgow before Kingston Bridge it is a 50mph limit and usually there are Police patrol cars about. The parking at Glasgow Airport will be fine as it is secure and always busy and well used. I have never had a problem parking there.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Hi Khalid,

I travel regularly from Glasgow to Manchester. Very easy route. Take the M61 from manchester which takes you on to the M6 which then carries on to the M74 & from there take the M8 to Glasgow airport.
It normally takes me about 2 & half hours but thats not sticking to the speed limit :D.
If you stick to the speed limits the Journey should take you no more than 3 hours but there are a few roadworks on the way up at the moment so allow a little extra time for that.

If the weather stays dry it'll be great drive up but try not to get carried away on the straights. Watch out when you get past Carlisle in Dumfries & Galloways as there's a lot of coppers about hiding & in unmarked cars :thumbsup:

Kal
:thumbsup:
Or better still leave at 5am if the weathers good and take the long way round as there are some fantastic roads in south west Scotland. Used to travel around that part of the world on business but never had my own car and it was great.The road from Uddington on the M6 west to Cumnock (A70 from memory) is one of them. However they may have loads of cameras there now. So worth checking on Viamichelin or similar for the latest camera updates if you dont have them on Sat Nav.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
GTRAM thanks for the reply I think I would probably have done what you suggested if it was the summer and dry.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Professor Matt,

Again many thanks for your kind offer.

I am with a couple of other people ,one of whom I am giving a lift to the airport. I think we will be alright to park at the airport, however after your kind offer ,I think I should thank you personally. I wouldn't mind calling on you after the drop off for a few mins, If thats okay with you please pm me with details( btw this will be around 4.30 pm ish).
Regards,

Khalid.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hi Khalid

Pay special attention at M74 at Hamilton just before you take the M73 leading to the M8. Roadworks just started last night and are forecast to cause significant holdups. See local press clipping M74 roadworks will cause major traffic hold-ups - Hamilton Advertiser

Safe driving and as Kal says watch out for unmarked cars North of Dumfries up to Lesmahagow area. Known as Hazard County by the local traffic cops I'm led to believe. ;)

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi dwreid

Thanks for the advice much appreciated, just means I will have to leave earlier ,Was hoping to set off from Manchester around 9 to 9.30ish to avoid the morning traffic.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts