GTR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,

Has anyone driven in Switzerland in March. Mrs Moff and I will be there as we are driving to Italy.

We are thinking about stopping for a night in the Alps somewhere, but wondered about snow and the like. I have Snow tyres, will these be enough, or is it a no go this time of year in a car ?

We are looking to Stay in Chur at www.hotelabc.ch

·
Registered
896 Posts
hello moff

I'm from switerland so maybe i can tell you. If you want to stay in chur you should have no problems with your winter tyres. Chur is a city and they will salt and maybe clean the roads. If you wanna drive over the julier (mountain pass) to st. moritz or italy it could be a problem. You can drive over it with winter tyres but when too much snow is on this mountain pass it's only allowed to drive there with snow chains.

If you drive to davos or lenzerheide -> no problem with winter tyres

Bout the hotel and chur. To be honest chur isn't a really nice city. If you have time drive 30 minutes longer to lenzerheide / valbella and there you find a very nice place. You see the snowy mountains and clear nights.

Let me know if i can give you more infos

Greetings

Andres

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Switzerland Driving!

Switzerland is awesome! I spent a month in Lauterbrunnen near Interlaken in the summer of this year. The roads out there were very good, but don't speed through the tunnels as i got caught!

Everything felt quite expensive out there, especially the services. As for the weather it was hot when i was there so can't really give any advice to you on that one!!

Here's a few snaps get you in the mood!:thumbsup:

My particular favourite!

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
i have driven through switzerland 4 or 5 times
it is absolutley beautiful in both winter and summer
zermat is a favourite of mine ...i drove into zermat in the skyline ...
nobody told me NO cars are allowed... only electric vehicles i wondered why all the people were waving at me ..i thought everybody seems very friendly.:nervous:

anyway managed to drive back down to tasch before the local plod spotted me ...:thumbsup:

back on topic i have driven in switzerland in november and only seen snow up in the mountain resorts the main roads were all clear

it's funny i expected to see snow as soon as i crossed the border from germany into switzerland ...i love snow you see...:thumbsup: but no such luck

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the advice guys..

I will have a look for lenzerheide and valbella.

We will be driving from Calais in the morning, so it will be a long drive on our first day

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
it is a long drive but i've done it in a van from zeebrugge at around 8am to switzerland by around 11.30pm at night

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it is a long drive but i've done it in a van from zeebrugge at around 8am to switzerland by around 11.30pm at night

Google maps sas its about 9 hours, and in a Stagea should be able to knock some hours off compared to a van you think ?

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Google maps sas its about 9 hours, and in a Stagea should be able to knock some hours off compared to a van you think ?
yes you'll be able to get there quicker than me
the van i had only did around 65mph or so ..

·
Premium Member
3,992 Posts
You should get an Autech and get there even quicker!!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
95 Posts
from calais you have about 6-7 hours to the swiss border in basel. then you have another 2 hours to chur. watch your speedo in switzerland ;) on this highways you will drive are a lot civil police cars

·
Registered
95 Posts
fill your gastank not on the highway, above the highway you get 98 octane for less than 1 pound/litre

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you for the input guys... The Travel agents are looking into lenzerheide :)

·
Premium Member
8,829 Posts
Just done (September 09) all the Alpine passes in Switerland, fantastic, but very expensive country !

·
Registered
95 Posts
i can't understand how people say it's expensive.. moste european countries are more expensive, my opinion. gas is one of the cheapest, highway use you get a "Vignette" for 40 CHF and you drive the whole year. You pay alot more if you drive one way in france or italy.trains are even cheaper as in the uk. hotels and restaurants in tourist places and luxury places are very expensive, i agree.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Can anyone recommend anywhere to stay in Lenzerheide. The travel agents are telling me that due to it being a ski resort, 1 night is unusual and we will be looking at over £200 for the night.

They are recommending Chur still at Hotel ABC which is £150 for the night inc breakfast.

·
Premium Member
8,829 Posts
Hey Moff

Think yourself lucky that your not staying at the Kepenski or the Grand at St Moritz !!! A burger and chips was £250-00 !!!

·
Premium Member
8,829 Posts
You'll have fun either way, just remember that the Switzerland police are as nice as pie and will even get an interpreter for you, but will still hit you with a huge fine if you are naughty! LOL

1 - 19 of 19 Posts