GTR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone else having trouble getting the seat and the wheel in the right place?

I'm 6ft + a bit (fat arse), with long arms and legs. Getting the seat fairly well back means that reaching the steering wheel is uncomfortable, even with the wheel at full stretch on the adjuster. I reckon it could do with a spacer to bring the wheel an inch or two closer.

The seat won't go as low as I would like either. Feels like I'm sat on top of the car, even at the bottom of its adjustment. When I get in my GTO, which has a knackered drivers seat coz its 18 years old, I'm sat on the floor of the car almost, which is where I want to be.

Anybody else? Anything we can do?

·
Premium Member
7,635 Posts
Well I'm 6ft 1' and have no problem sorting out my position. I do like to be fairly upright although I never used to have the seat like that. It took several driving courses for me to realise my driving position was woeful.

The only time it's an issue is at the track with a helmet on, and then I just pop the back down a touch.

Also dont forget you are almost an inch taller in the morning after you get up, so better to adjust the seat when you've been walking around for a few hours.

And I'm not the slightest geezer either, around 16-17 stone, so if I can get a very good position, there is no reason why you cant.

(and I take it you've adjusted the reach as well as the up/down part of the wheel?)

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Im not tall.....but couldn´t find a good position to sit in the car,solution....simple:

pull out the stock seats with all its useless functions and replace them with 2 recaro polepositions....saves about 40 kilos of the cars weight....seatposition is perfect,you dont fall out of the seats in corners,more comfortable then the stock ones....only downside:the wife is moaning about the seatheating and missing adjustablility...but who cares about the wife....:chuckle:

·
Registered
690 Posts
I'm 6' 3" and spider legs and recently found the button on the right of the seat (yes I know I should read the manual) that raises the front of the seat in isolation. Has really made the seat comfortable for me as I now have some support above the knee.

Why does the paragraph read as though I shouldn't be having this conversation with blokes on a car forum!

·
Registered
690 Posts
Im not tall.....but couldn´t find a good position to sit in the car,solution....simple:

pull out the stock seats with all its useless functions and replace them with 2 recaro polepositions....saves about 40 kilos of the cars weight....seatposition is perfect,you dont fall out of the seats in corners,more comfortable then the stock ones....only downside:the wife is moaning about the seatheating and missing adjustablility...but who cares about the wife....:chuckle:
You are only saying that because you think she doesn't read your posts! :)

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I'm 6ft 1' and have no problem sorting out my position. I do like to be fairly upright although I never used to have the seat like that. It took several driving courses for me to realise my driving position was woeful.

The only time it's an issue is at the track with a helmet on, and then I just pop the back down a touch.

Also dont forget you are almost an inch taller in the morning after you get up, so better to adjust the seat when you've been walking around for a few hours.

And I'm not the slightest geezer either, around 16-17 stone, so if I can get a very good position, there is no reason why you cant.

(and I take it you've adjusted the reach as well as the up/down part of the wheel?)
Yeah, the reach is all the way out, but it could do with another couple of inches. (Couldn't we all! LOL).

Its not a good position for spirited driving. I need/like the touring car drivers position, but with less "sit up and beg". I can't get it thus far. My legs are too long.

:bawling:

Oh, and I'm 14st 4lbs with damp hair. Not good. Not good. :)

·
Premium Member
8,830 Posts
I am 7' 10" and I have no problems what so ever !

·
Registered
223 Posts
lol ^^

I would recommend this tip on how to acquire/ adjust the correct arm extension and back angle of the seat, with your shoulders back in the seat, extend your arm out over the steering wheel, calibrate so you wrists can rest on the top of the wheel, this will allow you enough play/ give to cross hands and basically much better control.

·
Premium Member
2,041 Posts

My HPC said that they saw this done on a car and that it as a result a load of the airbags had been disabled...any truth in that?

·
Registered
95 Posts
The only problem I ever had with GT-R driving position is too high brake pedal - not very comfortable for left foot braking (still better then many cars), but this is common with all road cars, apart from that i would say it's OK. But I am only average height (180cm).

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
My HPC said that they saw this done on a car and that it as a result a load of the airbags had been disabled...any truth in that?
My car has no faultcode in the airbagsystem,you just need to cheat it correctly:chuckle:

Even when it would have a faultcode somewhere in the airbagsystem,the remaining airbags would try to open in case if a accident happens....

·
Premium Member
7,635 Posts
Just needs teh correct resistor in line with the seat connector, or so I'm told

1 - 17 of 17 Posts