GTR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My thoughts and following on from this thread
http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/461409-step-change-handling-comfort-settings-launch-control-performance-read.html

TLDR
I love it. You should try it and you'll buy it.

Background

I have 59 plate Black Black Edition which i've owned since new. It's currently at Stage 4 (ish) initially on COBB now on Ecutek. I've done the rear camera, auto-folding mirrors, 4 light conversion, litchfield suspension, alcon bbk mods as well as sound deadening and a Focal Sound system. I'm sure other things i've forgotten.

I have only done 24000 miles to date and that's mostly because i don't use it as a DD because i drive 6 miles to work past 6 schools and all the associated spead bumps. My estate has large road wide humps, and where i work is a pretty rough area, which has the large road humps to stop joy-riders, which i scrape over if i go faster than 5mph. And if i straddle 2, to avoid the scraping it's a pretty uncomfortable experience.

Last year on the way to Le Man i decided that i would try the Litchfield suspension as i was getting to the point that i was going to sell the car. As i wasn't enjoying it like i wanted to. Put it down to age and the declining roads.

Aside: Up here in Scotland we only have 1 track - Knockhill - and for me (others more accomplished drivers will disagree) it was too small a track for the GTR when i went up, so besides the X5 i used as a DD i bought a 306 gti 6 which i was planning to use up at Knockill to get my Cat B license etc. So the GTR was falling further and further down the pecking order.

I got the Litchfield suspension fitted and found out i needed new brakes at Litchfields a few days before Le Mans 2015 while there and that's how i ended up with the BBK (that's all they had in stock and i had to pick up a passenger the next day to go to Le Mans)

So i did notice an improvement but it wasn't what i was expecting. Again i was reaching for Comfort setting every trip but it was still not good enough for me to really use it as a DD. So much so that the service i had in the last year showed i only covered 2000 miles. And with the OH moving in, and hating the car and refusing to go in it or drive it, i thought about selling it. But the main issues were that i'd spent a lot of money on the brakes only a year ago and i didn't know what i would replace it with. Eg i use it as a GT more than an R so the fact i can get golf clubs in is a big plus

Note the DSC sport controller remembers the setting you picked

Then a few weeks back Hugh posted a thread about this DSC controller. I won't pretend to have read it all or understood it, but i decided that since he was going to Knockhill i would too. So I met up with him and Derek at Knockhill and went for a drive, and it was a huge difference. For me the Litchfield setup was a 10% improvement on the road (can't comment about the track) but this felt more comfortable than my X5, i'd say it was more like 100%. It's that good in my opinion

Note i still use run flats because i get half a dozen nails in my tyres a year. I think its from avoiding the speed humps on my way to work. In fact I'd had a nail removed last week and Nobles noted another in the other rear that i hadn't noticed! So switching to non-rfts isn't an option for me.

So there and then i asked Hugh to fit it. And i drove back to Glasgow from Knockhill and i couldn't believe i was driving a GTR. It was like driving in a comfortable family saloon. But in race mode the familiar jiggle was back. I told myself i wouldn't post until i'd tried it out properly but i did have to make a brief comment - it was that good. Take the length of this post as how bad my journalism/English skills are but also how highly i regard it.

So i've now had the system fitted for 10 days. In this time Hugh has softened the front and stiffened the rear over 2 updates. This is because i have the Litchfield suspension and Hugh has stock. And the Litchfield is softer - and it was too soft at the rear! Can you believe that? Too soft in a GTR!! It's not perfect for me, it's getting there. I've been using my car to work daily. And it's great. It feels comfortable. And it's brilliant how it adjusts when you're up to motorway speeds. I've still got a few tweaks i'd like. But they will come with software updates. eg currently the speed sensitivity starts above 50mph. I would like it to stiffen from 10mph. And if that happens i can then remove the floaty feeling at 40mph which is there because i want it soft enough at 10mph to go over the pot holes and bumps to work.

Also note the front stiffens when you brake hard. It's a weird feeling at first. In fact the whole thing takes some getting used to after 7 years with the rock hard GTR suspension.

The best is the cornering / g sensor. This is where we've stiffened things up for the Litchfield suspension, so that the car rolls less into a corner or when pulling g's on the motorway i.e the outside stiffens up. It's been raining a lot up here so i haven't been able to test out properly but i'm pretty happy with the adjustments Hugh has made for me to date.

The litchfield suspension is softer than the stock suspension so the settings Hugh had worked on needed tweaked for me, but with the software it's pretty easy to do. And there's a logging function too. Again i'd like to do this in dry warm conditions or on a track to get my suspension dialled in, in comfort, normal and race modes.

Sorry i should have mentioned earlier - you retain the 3 settings. The only difference is down of no light/comfort. Middle is normal and green light. And race is still red and up. But i'm driving around in comfort most of the time so no light suits me, and i don't feel the need to switch as i get the stiffness of normal when i need it, i.e at speed and cornering. It's just that i'd like it to be more linear at speed from 10mph. But that will come.

I paid £1080 fitted for my set up. I had never met hugh prior to getting the DSC system and i stand nothing to gain from endorsing the product.

I could go on and on, but i think the only way anyone will be convinced will be to try it.

I'm in Glasgow and i'm happy to meet up with anyone who wants to see for themselves.

Any questions, i'm happy to answer the best i can.

This is a real game changer of a mod. I'm keeping and loving the car now.

It's the best £1000 you'll spend on your car. And i think the track guys will love it even more than i do.

I'd happily swap my Litchfield suspension back to stock if anyone wants to swap + cash – it's that good.

:wavey:

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
I'm hoping Hugh will be at Silverstone this week so that I can experience it and see if it's for me.

Thanks for the very encouraging write up.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
misters3,

Great to hear your first hand experience with the DSC Sport suspension controller.

The charachtersitics of the car are so improved it is hard for most people to imagine how good it can be compared to the standard set-up.

You are a bit more centraly located than me in Glasgow, so appreciate the offer to let others experience your car.

It will be later tomorrow before I will know if I can come down to Siverstone, It's a 1000mile round trip for me, so would need to fly down rather than drive, but would be keen to meet up if at all possible.

Thanks

Hugh

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay tonight I got the other half in the GTR for only the third time, rather than X5, as concession for being dragged along to see Bridget Jones.

She approved. Said apart from the seat being uncomfortable the car was actually better than the X5 over the speed bumps and nice on the motorway. She said the seating position was better for her than the mustang we had in Florida in the summer. She felt that the mustang left the passenger staring at the dashboard.

I did a blind test on the way back (the showing she wanted to go to was sold out!! Result!!). Well as blind as you can with the red light on and she noticed it was not comfortable any more. I put it back to the bottom / most comfortable setting and she said that she could tell the difference. And most importantly she didn't mind going in it now, if we weren't taking the dogs. Although I'll have to hold my tongue about losing weight for the huggy seat! :)

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Gents,

Am sorry to say I cannot get away from Aberdeen to demo the DSC Sport system at Silverstone tomorrow.

Hopefully I can get down to a location that is convenient for some of you in the near future, or work with one of you to fit the system on a trial basis to experience the difference first hand.

Thanks

Hugh

1 - 8 of 8 Posts