GTR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Administrator
31,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know a car forum isn't the place to ask, but the diverse range of members might provide me with some direction, previously not found on the relevant passports sites etc.

I was born in Australia. Lived in the uk from 6 weeks old.

I've always been under the impression i could apply for dual nationality. But wonder what benefits and disadvantages this might have?

I think it means i can move to Australia at any point, and work Visa free??!!?!

Does it mean i have to queue at immigration when entering the uk?

and is there any other burden when it comes to taxation, or insurances etc, considering im not a full uk passport holder?

I honestly don't understand :( and I need to get my first passport for my Nurburgring trip in September.

mook

·
Registered
627 Posts
I have two close friends who are Australian born and moved to England as Kids, I think they forfeit their right for dual nationality by not applying for it at an early enough age, although i am really not sure, it was something along those lines. You will qualify for a full English passport either way, no queing at immigration :) If you want me to find out about the dual passport business I can contact my friends and get back to you Mook.

·
Administrator
31,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you wouldn't mind asking, that would be great.

I've never had a passport in my own name, having only travelled abroad under the age of 16.

ive looked on the Australian commisions website, and it does mention dual citizenship by birth, but doesn't offer any clear cut advice.

thanks for replying

mook

·
Hawaii-5-0
1,817 Posts
Best people to ask is the Foreign Office and the Australian Consulate, the rules regarding dual citizenship - especially with Commonwealth countries - can be pretty complicated. My gut feeling would be if you haven't applied for it yet, you probably can't.

But you could still play for the Socceroos :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts