GTR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Don't think so, looks more like a wastegate. But I'm not a mechanic.

The dump valve(s) on GT-Rs are located behind the bumper on the drivers side of the car.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Looks a lot like one but I thought the R33 ahd two somewhere down near the engine.
What kind on engine is that?
A wastegate connects to the exhaust side.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine's a GTS so it'll have one - single turbo. I thought it looked like a dump valve. My logic was that its connected to the air going into the engine as well as looped back to the turbo area.

I don't think I've got anything behind the bumper but I'll check again.

Could anyone send me a picture of their dump valve so I know what to look for?

Drew

·
Registered
961 Posts
its on the exshast side before the turbo !
its to bypass the turbo to stop it craming yet more air in!

iam not a mechanic but trying !

·
Registered
720 Posts
Andy: It is indeed the 'Dump valve', located on top of the engine above the spark plugs.

Durzel: You are confusing the dump valve with a wastegate - the wastegate is located on the side of the turbo, for purpose of regulating the amount of boost. The dump valves purpose is to leak off unwanted air when closing the throttle body (to stop turbo stall).

John: The R33 GTR uses two dump valves which are located in the drivers side wing. The R33 GTS uses only one dump valve.

Guss: Same confusion as Durzel.

Jason.

·
Registered
961 Posts
i you run out of go go juice,
what happens coz you need time for the engine to cool the turbos down with the oil , if the engine dies the oil stops
turbos sezie and die
or is there a saftey device ?

·
Registered
865 Posts
Won't kill the car if u run out of juice, but over a period of time you aren't doing the car/turbo any favours.

Most ppl with turbo cars are really that up on them as they just want a car, often see them turn them off without 1min idle say. If u watched Fast and furious they are all the worst ofenders for turning there cars off after ragging them, and they are mean't to fool ppl into thinking they know there stuff coz they can say NOS! lol

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cheers Jason for clearing that one up - I thought it made sense that that was what it was bearing in mind what it was connected to.

It should be fairly easy to change then?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts