GTR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Suggestions for a long-lived clutch? Obviously, this depends on the engine tune and driving style, but say, for a full stage 1 car (induction/exhaust, ECU, boost to 1 bar, etc), driven on the street without too much abuse? My mechanic told me that OEM clutch plates would last longer than going with a twin-plate and that up to 400hp or so I don't need to step up to a twin-plate. Uneducated gut instinct says that twice the plates and more money would equal longer life?

In a nutshell, is clutch life entirely based on driving style, or are some models/brands longer lived than others?

·
Registered
49 Posts
your mechanic is wrong. the clutches i recommend you use will be either os ginken or orc twin or supersingle. but, if you're going for over 400hp it's better to go twin instead of supersingle.

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
huracan0613 said:
your mechanic is wrong. the clutches i recommend you use will be either os ginken or orc twin or supersingle. but, if you're going for over 400hp it's better to go twin instead of supersingle.
so twin plates (given the same driving style) will last longer than the stock clutch? How does the OS Giken unit stack up against the Nismo twin plates?

btw, my mechanic has an OS Giken twin with burned out plates. Will replacing the plates in that be worth it (over buying a complete new unit), or is the thing junked and unusuable?

·
Registered
49 Posts
If you don't change your driving style yes, it will last longer than stock. NISMO(exedy) clutches are fine, just a little over priced IMO and they are stiffer than stock. If you want your car to be your daily driver you must stick to damper type clutches. If you get a non damper type it'll be alot stiffer and hard to drive.

When a clutch gets re-built the discs and pressure plate are replaced, the flywheel and middle plates are the same though. But, if you get the old parts re-surfaced and mate them with the new discs and pressure plate, the clutch will be like new again.

My recommendation will be to get the ORC twin plate damper type clutch. This clutch will hold up to 700hp with no problems and it's super light. This is what i have in my GT-R and I had it for over 2 years now and it still has over 3/4 of life left in it. But, whatever you decide to do don't get a carbon clutch. These clutches are a new unrefined technology and a few friends of mine have this type of clutch and they have had issues with them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts