GTR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2 weeks ago I placed a deposit on a lovely R33 GTR, which had a private plate. I didn't want to spend £2k on the plate so the owner agreed to transfer the plate off the car over the counter so the sale could be completed quickly. The DVLA in luton refused to transfer the plate over the counter and said it would take up to five days for all the documentation to be returned.

In the meantime I've sold my car and the new owner wants it ASAP. Today the documents finally arrived, but the new reg plate and V5 were not issued as the DVLA need to arrange an inspection on the car. This has been scheduled for 14th March (after which time they'll reissue the V5 which takes 3 weeks :mad:). Now when I put a deposit on the car there were no others available... Now there are a couple. I can't really wait 1 month to get the car so I'm not sure what to do?

Has anyone else had to have their car inspected by the DVLA? Any suggestions or should I just look at some other cars?

Thanks,

Jon

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Plate

I have not heard of the DVLA inspecting a car because of a plate transfer, i have just put new plates on my car and all i had to do was to de-register the plate from one vehicle and register it to another, it took all of 5 days to be able to put my new plate on the R33...

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmm...

Having spoken to the DVLA myself now it appears that they can (and apparently do) inpect cars having their plates transfered at random. Really not sure what to do, the V5 will take approx 3 weeks after the inpection to be returned... Then I can buy the car :(

I know the guy who has bought my car won't wait that long though...

This is amazing... Can't find anything about inpections on their website either :mad:

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
when I bought my R33 it had a private plate...DVLA didnt inspect it and just transfered the plate over to the owner without anyone coming to look at the car.....but I am still waiting for the amended tax disc and MOT to show up:(

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have never heard of the DVLA inspecting a car for just a plate transfer before, maybe the guy at the DVLA just wants to see a skyline up close:)
Joking aside what a royal pain in the ass, i would be raising hell.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
DVLA

Can you not drive the car until the plate issue with the DVLA has been resolved, The guy you buy the car from still retains the ownership of the mark, or have you had to remove the tax disc... I know when I transfered mine I had to send all the paperwork but kept the disc on the car so i could drive it...

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
I had the same problem 2 years ago all I had to do was drive down to the dvla office in bournemouth they checked the obvious like chassis no, make, colour, etc then told me all was in order and posted the documents on a week or so later.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hmm, no valid tax, no v5 no current reg at the moment...

And the inpection isn't at the DVLA, but an alternate location. DVLA advised me not to buy the car/hand over money until the V5 is returned or I won't be insured :(

I'm not sure what to do, spoke to the buyer of my car and he can't wait 4 weeks (and nor can I really, as I'll have to put new tyres on the car and get a major service done...)

So I'm not quite sure what to do...

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Personally.. if it's Steve Bennett's old car you've bought/you're buying - I would continue to contest it with the DVLA, that car looks too good to pass up.

Just my slightly non-constructive 2p :(

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
...and if you're ever around the Trowbridge area during the week come and see me! :D I wouldn't mind seeing it and saying "hi" :)

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Durzel,

I'll bring the skyline down your way when I eventually get it...

Just out of interest, where are you getting your car serviced? Let me know how you get on...

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The Owner has pulled out

Thanks to the DVLA I have lost the Skyline I really wanted :(

It appears the car is going to take 4-6 to re-register and the owner has decided he's not going to bother and sell the car to someone else with the reg plate :mad:

So if anyone has an nicely tuned R33 for sale drop me a mail [email protected]

Jon

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Really sorry to hear that mate :(

As far as servicing (not that it probably really matters now) after consultantion with Guy (the previous owner) I've since discovered it doesn't need one for another 3k miles at least. I'll probably put it in a bit before just to be sure tho anyway.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts