GTR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys!

Just joined the message board over here. In the last month or so I bought a 1996 R33 GT-R V-Spec from a nice chap in Glasgow. Actually, I found the car thanks to your awesome Website!

Onto my questions!

Part of the sales pitch when I bought my car was a dyno run.. :D at the local tuner.. AVA.

So... looking at the dyno chart that I was given, my skyline makes 332hp at 6500rpm where.

1. What I was wondering is, is that the max horespower for my car? I mean usually cars are run on dynos until the hp drops off past a certain RPM or until the car hits its rev limiter... the guys at AVA only took it to 6500... Is there more power in there somewhere? I figure (by extending the line on the dyno chart) that at around 7500rpm the car would make 360bhp (semi-optimistically). Correct or pure BS?

2. Also are AVA Dynos accurate? This question may be weird, but I don't have a chance to dyno the car again for a long time as it is now here in Cyprus and there are no dynos over here :-(

3. What is my expected HP at the wheels? The power mods that I am aware of include: ECU reprogrammed to 1 Bar, Janspeed 1-off exhaust/cat bypass 3" piping ?, Turbines changed to steel from the stock ceramic.

4. How much realistic HP Loss is there from the engine to the wheels? 15%? 20%? 30%?

5. What does a bone stock R33 GT-R V-Spec dyno at?

Sorry for rambling on, I am just really curious about those things, they have been on my mind for a while!

Thanks in advance,

Guy

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Welcome to the obsession.

Stock standard R33 skyline should dyno between 305-320 BHP.

if you have a look at the dyno results on the events page of this site you should be able to see at the wheels figures as well as the flywheel numbers.

As Guy says the I/C option should be looked at closely with the higher charge temp associated with your climate.

have fun

Steve

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Guy, Thanks for the reply.

I realise that having the dyno chart uploaded will be easier, so I will scan it an upload it this evening when I get home.

As far as I know, the dyno that AVA uses is manufactured by them. They also use custom software written for their rolling road.

As for a bigger intercooler, that's for sure. I am also considering some form of intercooler sprayer (water/alcohol/both) to keep it cool when the ambient heat gets insane in summer (not that I would drive a turbo car that too hard on a very hot day.. but Cyprus really isn't the coldest of places most of the year anyway..

Guy (GTuned)

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Steve,

Obsession, it sure is....

After all obsession got me to this whole new Level of vehicle.. the Skyline level.. It's kind of hard to go anywhere after this, after all, I really do consider this to be essentially the top level.

I might like some other cars, but I really would not have picked anything else.. (OK maybe the R34.. maybe... I do like the R33's looks though..)
As for mods... :) Well considering that I had changed just about every component of the engine of my previous car... all I can say is *ouch*, this is going to hurt!

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Please excuse the delay with the Dyno chart. My POS scanner is not working for some bizzare reason....

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
All of the dyno charts I have seen have more than one line on to indicate torque as well.

The power curve looks odd to me usually the first 3000 rpm are shallow with a sharper slope up to about 6800-7500 depending on the car, your dyno sheet seems to be missing the largest power section....

I may be talking crap as I don't have much eperience of this.
There are other dyno sheets on this website under the dyno day section and technical area. also try looking at http://www.tuningjapanese.co.uk this may have some more sheets on it too.

hope this helps.....

/Steve

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, see, that's what I meant when I thought my graph ended suspiciously fast.

The main problem is that they were using windows based software, and in the hurry of things I got handed two copies of the hp run instead of one of the hp and one of the torque.

I have videoclip of the run on their computers, but the refresh rate on my camera and on their monitor conflicted. So it has "black bars" running across the screen.

Anyway, a few days ago when MikeR33 posted his dyno run results, I checked out his 1Bar run and he made about 331.0 wheel hp @ 8380rpm , and since I make 332.3 wheel hp @ 6500rpm (it pretty much should flatten out at about 7000+rpm) I figure that we are about even power-wise at 1 Bar....

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Where the power curves flatten is dependant on cam timing and other internal factors and not just the pressure the turbo is putting out.

If you had the same mods then it would be safe to say that but if Mike is running big cams his power would probably come in later and last for longer.
your RPM difference is quite big so I'd be hesitant to quote that as an absolute number.

get her back on the dyno and ask the tester to hold the power down until the power levels or drops off, then you will know...

Have fun
/Steve

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
SteveC said:
Where the power curves flatten is dependant on cam timing and other internal factors and not just the pressure the turbo is putting out.

If you had the same mods then it would be safe to say that but if Mike is running big cams his power would probably come in later and last for longer.
/Steve
Well, mate check this out: We both are running at 1bar, have absoloutely stock engine internals, and are R33 GT-R V-Specs! So I would assume (with slight discrepancies between turbo sizing that we max out at around the same rpm...)

SteveC said:
... get her back on the dyno and ask the tester to hold the power down until the power levels or drops off, then you will know...
/Steve
...And this is precisely my problem! There are *no* dynos here. And there probably won't be for a long time!

That's why I am asking all these silly questions, sorry for the misunderstanding. However I greatly appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions.

From now on, my only real tests will be gtech/mstt style homemade 1/4 mile and 0-60 timing :(

Thanks for your patience,

Guy (GTuned)

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Hi Mate ,

IF you both have the same spec then you should theoretically have the same power maybe +/- 5%.
The clutch may make a difference if it is slipping you will lose a lot of power.

what is gtech/mstt style testing ??

enjoy....

/Steve

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about the lack of a dyno, in my opinion there are so many variables (and power at the engine figures from a wheel dyno can't be anything more than an estimate) it's most useful for seeing if your mods have made any difference. Quarter mile speeds should give you a fairly accurate indication of power.

Phil

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Steve:

I plan on getting a Gtech Pro ( http://www.gtechpro.com/ ) which measures performance specs to a reasonable accuracy (off by 0.1 ~ 0.2 of a second).

I also have a Blitz MSTT (Multi Speed Turbo Timer), which basically takes speed reading from the car's ECU and calculates your 1/4 mile and 0-60 times to a surprising accuracy too (also off by about 0.1 ~ 0.2 of a second). The accuracy of the latter has been verified by me personally at a professional dragstrip (I compared its readings vs the timeslips).
A'PEXi also released the new Rev/Speed Meter with capabilities to measure 1.4 mile and 0-60 times in a manner very similar to the GTech Pro. That's also an option for me.

Phil:
Looks like that's all the options I have left anyway! At least I know that the weight of my car is pretty much stock!

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Holy smoke!

This thing rocks! Puts the Gtech to shame, and really makes the Rev/Speed Meter look like a toy....

Wow...

Thanks Phil!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts