GTR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

To keep a long story short...

Had GTSS turbos on the car, and after the car wasnt driven for a year, due to me beeing abroad, the engine didnt run well at all. Bought a pair of 2860/5s, and [email protected] did the work. After the Turbos were fitted, the car was brought to Redline Tuning for mapping.

Specs on the engine (important bits):

Tomei 2.8
2860/5s
Tomei cams Type B
LinkG4 + Knockblock
Sard 720CC
Bosch fuel pump

According to the mapper, the engine missfired at 1.6 bar, probably due to weak coils, so it is mapped at 1.5 bar. I bought the cheap coils as i thought that my old ones were bad, so i bought the cheap one to try it out. I realized that one of my old coils was giving up, so i left the new (cheap) coils in there. Might have been a stupd decision looking back on it. Might still go for some standard coils instead.

Also, the ignition timing is conservative, so as far as i understand, it is possible to drive in lower grade fuel as well (4 deg light).

What do you guys think? Not the most power out of 5s i have seen, but for a resoanably conservative map, having 300lbft of torque at 3000rpm, 400lbft at 4000rpm, and over 500lbft at 4500rpm.

What do you guys think?

Cheers

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To be honest, i dont know. This is the only graph i have. If i speak to Redline again, ill ask them. (or if you guys read this, i wouldnt mind you guys post it on here)

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
I'd say there's a monumental problem with that... ....

The driver ;)

Gunther - the extra power will help make up for deficiencies elsewhere... Ie you and your driving:)

Guaranteed, you're going to go quicker than anything else on the straight then you'll hold everyone up everywhere else. You'll love it:)

An even bigger track day menace than you used to be...

·
Registered
593 Posts
I am running 2860-5's on my 2.6 with forged internals and HKS cams, split fire coils, and I get about the same power. Except my plots looked much smoother than those.

I was running 1.6bar though, but I would have expected more from a 2.8 but as you say it is a conservative map. The plot just looks a little bit jagged, like the power is not consistently smooth but that could be a feature of the dyno.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Maybe power shuffling between front & rear wheels?? A lot of people use the smoothing feature to make graph look better.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Yes it might just be smoothing, I just took another look at my plot and you can see the oscillations of the power uniformly as the closed loop boost control works.
Maybe this is a difference between the link and the syvecs.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I dont know why it looks that way, but someone here might be able to say why?

Spoke to Ron today, and he said the engine is very nice to drive, so if he says its good, i trust him! And a quopte from Ron "500lbft is always nice" :)

·
Registered
247 Posts
Hello. Do you run with map sensor inside? Thats the problem, inside sensor run outside of the map at ~1.5bar.

Where are you from exactly? Do you some times in germany?
Are you in the german skyline forum?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sam, i couldnt agree more, lol!

Yes, the car has a mapsensor, but there are 2,5bar mapsensors (hence 1,5bar boost max as you mentioned), and there are 5bar sensors (i think) which i have.So i would be fine to run 4bar of boost until the sensor becomes a problem! I guess i will have other problems before the sensor becomes one!

And yes, i live in germany now since mid year... (Hamburg)

Whereabout are you from?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Maybe power shuffling between front & rear wheels?? A lot of people use the smoothing feature to make graph look better.
Mark.. what you find generally on the dyno dynamics, especially with the newer software (W7) which doesn't have graph smoothing built in like the older software running ton W98 with the manual hand controller, is that if the car straps start to loosen a bit mid tune toooo much then you will see this effect of the car shifting the torque/power between the front and rear. Therefore you get this effect and output on the graph(s)

Once you adjust the bed mid tune or clamp down a couple clicks on the straps its fine.. You can (if your bothered) adjust and play with the bed length.

What you should do is lengthen the bed slightly so the rear is sitting 5/10 percent more on the front roller. That will usually eliminated it on the GTR(s) and then you get a smoother output shown as a result. It will also never shuffle that much low down, only from and after peak torque when your at full boost and the engine is pulling HARD.

it can be eliminated thought if you know how :)

Also you should have been given a little more info than that fella in terms of print outs

Generally speaking you should receive

HP vs TQ (horsepower vs torque)
WHP vs BOOST vs AFR
or if they want to make it really clear if your new to the dyno setup thang

then

HP vs afr
HP vs Boost
HP vs Tractive Effort
HP vs torque
whp vs boost vs afr

Also, looking at the graph is in it Shootout Mode :(

What ambient temp was the test done in?,
what was the inlet temp?
what gear was the engine tested in?
what was the tyre pressures? std?

power seems ok though of those turbos? but what would be nice is to see the engines boost curve?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the comment!

The only data i have is the graph posted above.

Ill ask if i can get some more data....

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
You need to get every piece of data you can when on dyno. You have paid for the time so are entitled for every print out combination (its only sheets of paper) and all associated info.

Turbo's should easily take 1.6Bar unless you are running poor octane, 100 is good for at least 1.7bar, because every 0.1bar is worth between 25-30ATW horses.

500FtLbs is good, but if you can get more for no greater cost than better mapping, why not? 550 is even better!

The map looks like a bit of a hole between 4500 and 5500, although if he was running really conservative on timing you will be throwing power away. What number did he give you? Low 20's?

What's that big hole just before 7000? Also why is it dropping off so quick? What was injector cycle like (which is why you need AFR graph!) and fuel pressure - with Bosch (044?) you can turn the FP up to 'inflate' your injector size if need be.

Have you an uprated I/C fitted?

LinkG4 is good.

DaveG

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey DaveG!

I have asked for some additional info now. Lets see if i get any...

The reason wyh its not mapped at higher boost is that the engine started misfiring at 1.6 bar of boost due to the coils beeing shite, lol. i put in new "cheap" coils to see if that was my problem (see my initial post).

Agreed, usually more is better, but it currently produces (as an guestimate looking at the graph) about 525-530lbft of torque which i think is awesome. Especially on non agressive map.

Not sure if what you mean with a hole, or do you mean the "wobble" in the curve, ie that it hasnt been smoothened out?

I have no clue about the thing at just before 7000, but the revlimit was originally set at 7250 if i remember corectly, and it hasnt changed since then i think. So the graph doesnt even go to the revlimit. But i guess that there is no point going to the revlimnit if the power drops of.

Yes, its an uprated i/c, but i couldnt tell you which one i have :)

I know, i lot of guesses and thinks there....

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hey DaveG!

I have asked for some additional info now. Lets see if i get any...

I have no clue about the thing at just before 7000, but the revlimit was originally set at 7250 if i remember corectly, and it hasnt changed since then i think. So the graph doesnt even go to the revlimit.

The graph not showing until the 7200rpm mark is due to the tach ratio not being setup correctly as per the tacho/rpm being pick up on the ECU. So therefore the shift in peak torque/power on your data graph WILL be marginally different.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The dyno is correct...

Physics tells us that the HP and TQ should cross at 5252 revs, so HP=TORQUE X RPM / 5252. This is the case as you can see above.

But i just noted that the engine produces

525hp
525lbft
@5250rpm

:smokin:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts