GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

As some of you may know the weekend just gone was set aside to carry out some changes to my Euro Spec GTR here in "Not so sunny" Scotland.

Firstly we did a standard run to get a nice baseline figure to show percentage improvement.

The dyno was a Dyno Dynamics unit and this dyno had tested another standard local GTR so we had another figure as a comparison.

This other GTR was tested a few weeks ago at 462 BHP which is at the bottom end of the quoted 460-480 bracket.

My car carried out it's standard run and achieved 479.6 BHP which i was very happy with as it was at the top end and within a whisker of the manufacturers quoted figure of 480 for the car.

The run was carried out in 4th gear.

Next we loaded up the Cobb Stage 2 map and carried out another run - this achieved 527 BHP.

A nice 47 BHP increase just from the Cobb Stage 2 and no hardware changes what so ever.

Lastly we took the car into the workshop and fitted a GTC full titanium Race Exhaust system from Ben which included the Y Pipe and we carried out another run.

The figure with hardware changes and Cobb Stage 2 were 533 BHP.

This was less than expected after deleting the 2 centre cats and changing the whole exhaust system but we are confident that with a custom tune this will give us a little bit more out of this set up. A live mapping session is planned for Saturday 15th August.

1 positive thing noted from the before and after of fitting the exhaust system was the throttle response.

To recap:

Standard Car - 479.6 BHP

Cobb Stage 2 Only - 527 BHP

Cobb Stage 2 + Full Titan Titanium race exhaust + Y Pipe - 533 BHP

Copies of Dyno sheets with the before and after overlayed will be posted ASAP - Numb nuts here forgot to bring them to work with him and they are sat in the car at the Airport (No use there i know, it was an early start this morning)

The second stage of seeing what difference the mods made was a trip to Crail Quarter Mile track on Sunday.

The car had been taken there previously and the best time was an 11.8 dead which was matched by a friends GTR running exactly the same time, it was impossible to alter this time regardless what we both did with the 3 magic buttons we tried RR Off RRR you name it.

Yesterday was better - the quickest run of the day was an 11.53 and the worst run of the day was an 11.86 - The 60ft times are still poor around the 1.9 mark even using the 2.5/3k launch.

The car performed well, never got beat all day and even managed to hold off a Porsche Turbo which ran an 11.9.

Link to Times - Crail Raceway Drag Strip Race Results

All Quarter Mile runs in my car were with 2 people and with a full to 3/4 tank of fuel, none of this draining the tank down and using wafer thin supermodels to drive the car to save weight.......yours truely and my passenger are 120 Kgs + EACH........;)

To follow are pictures of the exhaust and videos of the runs including the Dyno sheets.

Apologies for not having them to hand it was a hectic weekend i promise to post them ASAP.

Hopefully this process will help others decide which route they want to go down, from what i have experienced the Cobb is the best bang for your buck initially and even with everything standard should give a 10% or so improvement in BHP over stock. Great increase in torque figures as well but i can't remember them off the top of my head.

If you want to go down the Race Exhaust and Y Pipe route then it appears that a custom tune is essential to unlock the full potential of these hardware changes.

Regards

ScottyB

·
Registered
556 Posts
Did you check the AFR numbers while doing the dyno runs?

Was told that it could be running a bit lean with the Stage maps. That's why a number of my friends went with a custom tune.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Was told that it could be running a bit lean with the Stage maps. That's why a number of my friends went with a custom tune.
I will be honest Doggiehowser we did not.

The car is parked up all week now as i am overseas and back Friday night, the live mapping session is first thing Saturday morning so she will not be used between now and then.

The intention has always been just to get base line figures on the Dyno and to map the car in real life air flow and under proper road load etc.

As part of the live mapping process the AFR's will be looked at in detail, if the Standard map is running lean i will feed it back to Ben at GTC for him to investigate, but to be fair i know he is gathering loads of data as we speak and if he had seen signs of cars running lean then he would have told me.

Regards

ScottyB

·
Registered
3,684 Posts

what spec are these 35's ? if using down pipes for sure will do. But i'd be surprised if your friends are really finding shelf caned maps running lean on stock car show me the numbers / dyno

these cases are usually a tuner telling the client they need a custom map when they don't

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Scotty

Where did you go for the dyno time?
Duncan Stark at Hypertech in Bonnybridge.

He has a Dyno Dynamics set up.

Be careful about where you choose i have heard a few people now getting issues with the Dastek dynos in particular - because it is a slightly "longer" run on the Dastek e.g. takes longer to complete a few guys have been seeing Clutch Temp warning issues.

Nothing of the sort on the Dyno Dynamics.

Regards

ScottyB

·
Registered
302 Posts
I'd be looking for a dyno start of next month and had heard through the grape-vine about your clutch.

I was almost there too, so would probably have had the same story if I'd made it.

Could you pm me their details? Cheers

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Drag and Dyno for a new start

ScottyB, R1Mark,

New to this as i'm a late starter but have just got my Beast last two weeks and have already had Ben provide me my Ipod and have gone to Stage two 99Ron map. The CAP made a HUGH difference to my motor :D:D:D

Ben will also be SOON :D supplying a Ti Y pipe and full Ti Cat back system and would like to have your advice and perhaps guidance on getting into the 1/4 mile trials and also have the beast dyno'd after i have a custom map for the GTC Ti system hopefully courtesy of Ben. Never done any of this before you see as i was too busy getting the family up and out but now have the time and inclination for that late mid life crisis.

R1 Mark you might see my motor round Aberdeen just look for a Black, Black addition reg plate ends in MAD.

Drop me a PM if you guys can advise on Dyno contacts and where and when i can have a go at the 1/4 mile as i'd sure like to stop having to look for other SAFE locations:nervous::nervous: to allow me to put the beast into warp mode.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I thought Stage 2 gives you +70bhp............

"Stage 1 is for a stock vehicle or a vehicle with just a cat-back exhaust. Stage 2 is for a vehicle with high flow cats or cat delete and cat-back exhaust. Must use stock intake.

Stage 1 - 91 Oct - +55HP and +60TQ
Stage 1 - 93 Oct - +63HP and +70TQ
Stage 1 - 97 Ron - +63HP and +70TQ

Stage 2 - 91 Oct - +65HP and +80TQ
Stage 2 - 93 Oct - +70HP and +90TQ
Stage 2 - 97 Ron - +70HP and +90TQ"

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
I thought Stage 2 gives you +70bhp............

"Stage 1 is for a stock vehicle or a vehicle with just a cat-back exhaust. Stage 2 is for a vehicle with high flow cats or cat delete and cat-back exhaust. Must use stock intake.

Stage 1 - 91 Oct - +55HP and +60TQ
Stage 1 - 93 Oct - +63HP and +70TQ
Stage 1 - 97 Ron - +63HP and +70TQ

Stage 2 - 91 Oct - +65HP and +80TQ
Stage 2 - 93 Oct - +70HP and +90TQ
Stage 2 - 97 Ron - +70HP and +90TQ"

well tbh every dyno is different as is every 35. line 10 stock 35's up on dyno and they will all read different. The above was done on Cobb's mustang dyno, and is as a guide. You can see my dyno results in other ap thread.

·
Registered
97 Posts
well tbh every dyno is different as is every 35. line 10 stock 35's up on dyno and they will all read different. The above was done on Cobb's mustang dyno, and is as a guide. You can see my dyno results in other ap thread.
Ah cool, I know every Dyno is different.....

Can't wait to get my Y-pipe and COBB fitted...

Great product....

·
Premium Member
7,635 Posts
and service dont forget......

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Dyno Sheet attached.

Standard run - 479.4 - BHP
Stage 1 COBB - 527.9 - BHP
Stage 2 COBB - 528.8 - BHP
Full Ti Exhaust and Y Pipe and Stage 2 COBB - 533.2 - BHP

Torque Figures:

Standard was 485 ft Lb

After Mods was 555 ft Lb

Regards

ScottyB

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,635 Posts
Scotty, did you get a chance to dyno the EDM 99RON map that Ben has put together?

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Dyno Sheet attached.

Standard run - 479.4 - BHP
Stage 1 COBB - 527.9 - BHP
Stage 2 COBB - 528.8 - BHP
Full Ti Exhaust and Y Pipe and Stage 2 COBB - 533.2 - BHP

Torque Figures:

Standard was 485 ft Lb

After Mods was 555 ft Lb

Regards

ScottyB
2 observations:

1 - Torque is 100lb/ft greater in the mid range - WOW!
2 - Why is the Stage 2 not giving any increase over Stage 1?

D

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Scotty, did you get a chance to dyno the EDM 99RON map that Ben has put together?
Hi CC,

Hopefully Ben will correct me if i am wrong but i believe the map we used was the EDM 99 Ron - I might have incorrectly refered to it as the Stage 2 map.

The map has been left installed on the car and when i get home on Friday i will check the Cobb to see what the current map is and confirm for you.

Regards

ScottyB

1 - 20 of 31 Posts