1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK just a wee question
I found this
Single vehicle approval test fees : Directgov - Motoring

& wonder if anyone knows if it's possible to make an E Certificate by doing an SVA test
Basically, I got my R33 GTS-t (I know that it doesn't need an SVA test in the 1st place coz' it's from '94) & would like to import it in France (no comments on this... especially you gtrlux :chuckle: lol ) as I might get a job there soon
Only easy way to get it registered without a french equivalent of the SVA test is to have an E certificate
I don't think this is possible coz' the Skyline was never officially sold in Europe, but worth asking if anyone knows how to make an E certificate
pls, pls tell me you know how to, i don't want to sell me baby :bowdown1:

thanks guys

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
243 Posts
I´m not a 100% sure on this one, but it´s worth a try...

If You are a UK citizen, and, move to another EU country, You have the right to bring the car with You, and register it in the country You´re moving to....

That´s how it works here in Denmark.... And I´m pretty sure, it´s the same rules all over EU....

Example...:

You live in the UK, You have a R33 GT-S registered in Your name... This car has no "E" certificate "EC" typeapproval or whatever people call it....

You now wish to move to Denmark, for an example....

Normally a Skyline could not be approved by the Danish "SVA system", but because You are the registered owner in the UK, and now wishes to move to Denmark, the car will be approved under some special rules... Only thing You need to change, are the headlights, due to the asymetric light....

Hope this helps.....:)

·
Premium Member
4,447 Posts
You may well be able to drive the car for some time before you need to register it. That certainly is the case if someone in the eec comes into the uk and presumably its the same the other way round.
So unless its a permanent move or you actually want to register it in france (why?) you should be ok for up to a year on the gb plates.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd like to register it in France coz' I'm French & will at some point move back permanently in France & will have to register it in France
Kim's idea is good, I'll need to have a look in that, just in case

RSVFour, I can't find an insurer that would insure me if I drive in France for over 3 months per year :(

·
Registered
694 Posts
RSVFour, I can't find an insurer that would insure me if I drive in France for over 3 months per year :(
If I were you mate I would double check the small print and question your insurance company on this as I had the same problem when I moved from England to here in Sweden last May.

I was told from a contact in the insurance market that "basicially all insurance policys have changed as part of the EU now and although companies say that that they will not cover you for more than three months, the fact is that all policies have to by law cover you for the minimum insurance level required for the country the car will be used in after the three month period"

I was also told that although you should tell your company when you take the car abroad, no company can actually check up on this (I have no idea if this is correct though)

In summary then, with most companies they will give you full coverage for three months (some may extend this for a fee (surprise surprise)) after which they say you are not insured which is not the case as your cover would then go the minimum amount required for the country you are in to make it legal to drive.

The above information is what I was told (so don't quote me on the above!)when I spent ages looking at my insurance options when I moved last year.

Now my car is in storage and will be registered here in Sweden in the spring along the lines of what kim hansen posted above which is a result for me !

I hope this helps.

Shaun.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I'd like to register it in France coz' I'm French & will at some point move back permanently in France & will have to register it in France
Kim's idea is good, I'll need to have a look in that, just in case

Just found out, it´s the same rule if You move to Sweden.... So my guess is, it´s the same all over EU......

Now, if You´re smart and have the cash, You buy one more Skyline, register it in Your name, bring it to France, and then sell it.... And you´ll be a rich man....:chuckle:

I Think there´s a few users on this forum from France, and I seem to recall, that a Skyline, under normal circumstances, could´nt be approved/registered in France.... Therefore such a car should fetch quite a price over there...

Just a thought......:rolleyes:

·
Registered
243 Posts
If I were you mate I would double check the small print and question your insurance company on this as I had the same problem when I moved from England to here in Sweden last May.

I was told from a contact in the insurance market that "basicially all insurance policys have changed as part of the EU now and although companies say that that they will not cover you for more than three months, the fact is that all policies have to by law cover you for the minimum insurance level required for the country the car will be used in after the three month period"

I was also told that although you should tell your company when you take the car abroad, no company can actually check up on this (I have no idea if this is correct though)

In summary then, with most companies they will give you full coverage for three months (some may extend this for a fee (surprise surprise)) after which they say you are not insured which is not the case as your cover would then go the minimum amount required for the country you are in to make it legal to drive.

The above information is what I was told (so don't quote me on the above!)when I spent ages looking at my insurance options when I moved last year.

Now my car is in storage and will be registered here in Sweden in the spring along the lines of what kim hansen posted above which is a result for me !

I hope this helps.

Shaun.
There You go.... You beat me to it.....:bowdown1:

Welcome to sunny Scandinavia.......:cool:

·
Registered
694 Posts
Just found out, it´s the same rule if You move to Sweden.... So my guess is, it´s the same all over EU......
Yep the name of the procedure here is Sweden is called 'flyttgods' or 'removable goods' in English.

One major advantage as well is my emissions level with flyttgods as it has to be below either 7.5% or 5.5% (the guy from Vägverket (Swedish DVLA) wasn't sure which level applied to me) which for a de catted R33 GT-R is a result !!

And thanks for the welcome Kim :D

Shaun.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Welcome to sunny Scandinavia.......:cool:
You guys are lucky you got sun & at least play proper hockey :chuckles:

I'll check for the insurance thanks
But Kim just realized, I'm French citizen (living in the UK) & not UK citizen so I don't think it'll work for me :(
I also spoke to EvolutionVI who could maybe help in the near future *fingers crossed*

·
Registered
243 Posts
You guys are lucky you got sun & at least play proper hockey :chuckles:

I'll check for the insurance thanks
But Kim just realized, I'm French citizen (living in the UK) & not UK citizen so I don't think it'll work for me :(
I also spoke to EvolutionVI who could maybe help in the near future *fingers crossed*
Well, don´t give up yet.....:)

If I, as a Danish citizen moved to the UK, and lived there for AT LEAST 6 or 12 months....(Not 100% sure if it´s 6 or 12 months..) And had a car registered in my name in the UK... I would be able to bring the car with me, back to Denmark, and have it registered/approved under the same rules as mentioned in the above posts.... Even though I´m a Danish citizen....

And as Shaun says, the car will be approved under these special circumstances called "Flytgods"

Again, this is Danish rules, but as You can see, it´s the same in Sweden, so my guess is, the same rules aply all over EU.....

There´s still hope.....:chuckle:

·
Registered
456 Posts
If you're considering importing as "removable goods".
Be sure to do alot of research first. Chances are it can't be done as france have alot of their own rules when it comes to vehicle import.

You could try contacting Kent at jap-City (www.japcity.com).
He used to live in the UK but is now living in France.

He brought a Skyline R33GTR with him when he moved, but I don't think he got it registered there. He could know if it's possible or not though.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Yakozan, I'll e-mail him
:D

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK wee update, spoke to Kent who told me that he sold his GTR to a Swedish customer as he gave trying to register the Skyline in France
He's getting an RX7 instead (as it's possible to register them)
Suggested to keep the car reg in the UK & drive it there
He said that in theory you could register a car in any EU country using the export document on the car registration paper doc but as us bloody french never want to do it the same way, it doesn't work in france
Basically the car's never been sold in France so it's not in the system & they can't register, so it has to go through an extensive French SVA equivalent test which cost ~£4,500 & doesn't even guarantee the registration
But in the near future the French system should be updated & should be able to register the car using the export section of the car reg. doc

So far, my solutions are:
- wait for this change in the French administration (it'll happen when hell freezes over lol)
- see if EVOLUTIONVI manage to get his car reg. in Germany & help
- sell the GTS-t & get a RX-7 which can be registered in France lol

I hate my country... :runaway: :bawling:

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah, i guess that's why I left France in the 1st place... sucks being French lol :(

·
Registered
194 Posts
does anybody have a link that points to these 'rules' online?

I refer of course to the "Flytgods" rules. . .

google throws up stuff in Sweish, and I need it in english :/

·
Registered
243 Posts

You could try and PM a Swedish guy on here called "Perra".... He´s a very nice guy, and very helpfull... Perhaps he can point You in the right direction...:shy:

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

I "know" (don't know him personally) a French guy who is in Spain & is in the process to get his car "SVA'd" in Spain apparently the 1st one, but any further Skyline in Spain will have issues with the headlight (as apparently they have to point right and not left but ALSO higher so kinda high right & not flat)

AND ME I'M STILL IN THE SAME $HIT!!!
I'm getting closer to get this bloody job in France & if I get it, what am I gonna do with my Skyline? :bawling:
Sell it & get an RX-7?
I wanna keep my Skyline :bawling: :bawling: :bawling:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts