GTR Forum banner

21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
The pump E85 mix can vary throughout the year, might cause tuning issues from batch to batch.

Why not make it yourself, just mix ethanol and fuel? think a licence is required though for storing/owning 100% ethanol

·
Registered
4,821 Posts
SUNOCO (anglo american fuels) sell drums (big and small) of E85R (E85)....

We used it a bit in 2011/12 and used Morrisions E85 a lot in 2010 when it was fairly widespread in the UK. Its a major pain it the arse that they withdrew it.

The GTR was mapped to run a few different mixes...

650bhp on V Power - 1.7bar
675bhp on 25% E85 75% V Power - 1.7bar
700bhp on 50% E85 50% V Power - 1.7bar

Mapping was done with the morrisions fuel.. the Sunoco was better.

We had more to go on those maps, the torque was much better, and most gains were just through ignition advance rather than more boost.

One issue we did have was with fuel lines.... Some started to break down and needed replaced after 2 years of mixed E85 use. The problem lines were at the swirl pot so would have had constant fuel sitting there for long periods.

Injectors were getting towards 100% duty too on the 50% mix... so you'd def need to look into fueling upgrades if you wanted to run it full time in large mixes. I think a rough rule of thumb is if using E85, you would need 150% of the amount of fuel injected

Also smells nice :lol:

·
Registered
9,091 Posts
Yep, 50% more fuel consumption, but it isn't 2/3rds the price.

If you get it then ctek is a huge advantage due to true flex fuel support which detects the mix ration accordingly an adjusts the map automatically.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
The pump E85 mix can vary throughout the year, might cause tuning issues from batch to batch.

Why not make it yourself, just mix ethanol and fuel? think a licence is required though for storing/owning 100% ethanol
You also need a license from HMRC and you also need to use a specific Ethanol for mixing with fuel or again the tax man comith.

You can get an E85 test kit to check quality in the USA for about $15 so I think I'll either try to mix it or purchase on the continent in bulk

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
SUNOCO (anglo american fuels) sell drums (big and small) of E85R (E85)....

We used it a bit in 2011/12 and used Morrisions E85 a lot in 2010 when it was fairly widespread in the UK. Its a major pain it the arse that they withdrew it.

The GTR was mapped to run a few different mixes...

650bhp on V Power - 1.7bar
675bhp on 25% E85 75% V Power - 1.7bar
700bhp on 50% E85 50% V Power - 1.7bar

Mapping was done with the morrisions fuel.. the Sunoco was better.

We had more to go on those maps, the torque was much better, and most gains were just through ignition advance rather than more boost.

One issue we did have was with fuel lines.... Some started to break down and needed replaced after 2 years of mixed E85 use. The problem lines were at the swirl pot so would have had constant fuel sitting there for long periods.

Injectors were getting towards 100% duty too on the 50% mix... so you'd def need to look into fueling upgrades if you wanted to run it full time in large mixes. I think a rough rule of thumb is if using E85, you would need 150% of the amount of fuel injected

Also smells nice :lol:
Smells real nice Adam .I've got 50 litres in the Garage and regularly go out for a sniff......what a sado:chuckle:

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Ok folks I'm getting a quote next week for 1000 liters E85 (5 x 200 liter drums )

Any interest if the price is right in a group buy????

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I'm interested, price dependent, and how well it stores.

I'd probably only need a couple of drums a year.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Yep, 50% more fuel consumption, but it isn't 2/3rds the price.

If you get it then ctek is a huge advantage due to true flex fuel support which detects the mix ration accordingly an adjusts the map automatically.
Our engine uses 14% more E85 than Race Fuel and about 20-25% more than Pump Fuel,

We currently use Sunoco, smells lovely :smokin:

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I'll keep you all posted but if I cant make it work then I'm moving to Methanol as i have the pumps ready for it

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Do you prefer E85 to something like VP Import John?
Race fuel from VP is great but if you are willing to seriously upgrade your fuel system then E85 is better if you have also the bigger turbo's and can hold higher boost and or course more timing

E85 is you have all this is great but Methanol would be better but more upgrades needed

3,665 Posts
really better get 2 sets of injectors in Jeff's then.

I would check that thou John as I have asked Jeff about that before and I am sure he said not in the JDS street series.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
To run E85 in a stock turbo R35 you need ID1000s ( or similar ) and uprated fuel pumps. This is a fairl easy conversion. You also need a 99 RON and E85 map on the fly so if you run out you can switch back to pump gas. Ben has mapped a lot of these in the US so he can advise better than I. I personally buy 25 litre drums from AngloAmerican Fuel company. It Sunoco I think. If your drag racing 25 litres should be enough for a days racing. Beware e85 doesn't store well and is hydroscopic. This means it absorbs water and can rust your fuel system if left over a period with no activity. I always use sealed tins and then use it all up. In the US they also use in R35 for I circuit racing. I know my car drives very differently on E85. It's a lot more responsive..... I'm sold on E85 I just wish we could buy it on the pumps

21 - 40 of 77 Posts