GTR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All :wavey:

Has anyone on here had experience tuning their GTR on E85? Im just about to go this route and would appreciate any thoughts / experience out in the community :squintdan

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Hi All :wavey:

Has anyone on here had experience tuning their GTR on E85? Im just about to go this route and would appreciate any thoughts / experience out in the community :squintdan
Lots of guys in the US run this set up mate but I think the scarcity of E85 over here, coupled with some of the issues associated with running E85 (fuel pumps, injectors etc.) put people off.

If it was available at the pumps, I would certainly go for it :cool:

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lots of guys in the US run this set up mate but I think the scarcity of E85 over here, coupled with some of the issues associated with running E85 (fuel pumps, injectors etc.) put people off.

If it was available at the pumps, I would certainly go for it :cool:
Only for racing not for the street :smokin:

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes I am aware of Jack Cecil (HP LOGIC) and have used his e tuning on my 2010 for 99 RON. The pumps are Bill's of Spray It Racing 270 Litre per hour units. I will probably use these and ID1000s. You can attach a 99 RON Map to a E85 Map so you can then toggle between the two on your boost / cruse control. This is great I think. You just need to fill up with racing E85 and toggle to the E85 Map.... Instantly more HP. So Im going to give this a go and put her on the dyno :chuckle:

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Get your results up when you do it then mate :thumbsup:

·
Registered
28 Posts
I run E85 and a lot of my GTR friends follow my lead and run E85 because it just makes more power and run clean. All of us got out E85 maps from Ben at GTC. I was able to run 0-60 mph in 2.50 s, 1/4 in [email protected] mph and 60-130 in 6.22 s all on nitto Invo street tires with 260 tread wear. I would recommend getting 1150 cc injectors as my log has touched 100% injector duty cycle in 40 deg F weather in my id1000s. As stated before, you will need fuel pumps. The physical property of E85 allow it to have 8% more energy at stochiometric vs gas. It uses 50% more volume at stochiometric vs gas.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'm running E85 in Finland, mapped by Ben. Availability is pretty good nowadays, but on road trips you still have to plan routes to keep filled with E85. It's not that convenient to empty your tank on trips when changing fuels. Otherwise can't complain. Makes great power and only costs 0,98 €/L :chuckle: And on track the engine seems to run cooler.

A few weeks ago I changed my downpipes to non-catted ones and that made ID1000s max out, so this weekend I have to upgrade fuel rails and fuel pressure regulator to bump up the fuel pressure and get IDC down from 100%. Even on lower boost the car is quite brutal, DPs really made a difference! Can't wait to have it mapped to full boost... :smokin:

·
Registered
28 Posts
You don't need to upgrade fuel rails. Bumping fuel pressure up 10 psi helped me some, but I am in Florida so it doesn't get too cold. Anything colder than 0 deg C, I would bump injectors to Sprayitracing 1150 cc or id2000 or equivalent if you plan on upgrade turbos later

·
Registered
91 Posts
Ben recommended to upgrade rails as well so I already bought those. At least I'll be set with proper fuel supply in future if I decide to upgrade turbos and get ID2000s. ;)
I was a bit hesitant to change to ID2000s because I read somewhere about problems with stable idle, that's why I went the fuel pressure regulator route. Anyway, when it gets close to 0 C I'll change to 98 octane because on E85 the car probably won't even start when it'll be like -20 C.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm running E85 in Finland, mapped by Ben. Availability is pretty good nowadays, but on road trips you still have to plan routes to keep filled with E85. It's not that convenient to empty your tank on trips when changing fuels. Otherwise can't complain. Makes great power and only costs 0,98 ***8364;/L :chuckle: And on track the engine seems to run cooler.
Exactly how empty does your fuel tank have to be in order to safely change from 98 oct map to E85, or vise versa? I mean if the fuel light blimps is that's enough? Or how have you proceed? I'm hugely interested of the E85 capabilityes, but if you really need to completly empty the fuel tank in order to safely switch between two fuel types, then its too much of a hassle.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Exactly how empty does your fuel tank have to be in order to safely change from 98 oct map to E85, or vise versa? I mean if the fuel light blimps is that's enough? Or how have you proceed? I'm hugely interested of the E85 capabilityes, but if you really need to completly empty the fuel tank in order to safely switch between two fuel types, then its too much of a hassle.
If you have an ecu with a flex fuel sensor you never have to think about it.
Just fill up with whatever is available :)

·
Registered
91 Posts
I always tried to get the tank as empty as possible, drive until the range shows -- instead of numbers. And didn't push the car hard on the first tank, especially when changing from regular fuel to E85. Not a convenient process, but it was good enough when changing fuel type just a few times a year.

Now that I'm getting my engine rebuilt I'll also install an ethanol sensor and change to Ecutek to get flex fuel capability. Stock engine with full bolt ons on E85 didn't last forever, a conrod gave up at track last summer. In the long run, I would recommend a forged engine for E85 if you're going the push the car hard.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts