GTR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 64 Reg R35 has a Linney Flex Fuel Kit, uprated/compatible pumps and injectors, colder plugs and uprated coil packs. Currently I have been buying drums of VP X85 as the less aggressive E85 race fuel and putting Lucas/VP/Ethanol Shield in with it. Does anyone have a "cheap" supply of E85 in Berkshire/Surrey/Hampshire? I am also open to less than 85% blends. I certainly cannot find a pump anywhere nearby?

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
My 64 Reg R35 has a Linney Flex Fuel Kit, uprated/compatible pumps and injectors, colder plugs and uprated coil packs. Currently I have been buying drums of VP X85 as the less aggressive E85 race fuel and putting Lucas/VP/Ethanol Shield in with it. Does anyone have a "cheap" supply of E85 in Berkshire/Surrey/Hampshire? I am also open to less than 85% blends. I certainly cannot find a pump anywhere nearby?
There is no pump E85 in the UK, If its a cost thing you should have mapped on 20% Methanol not E85 using the flex fuel sensor! I think Methanol is still under £350 for 100 gallons delivered.

·
Premium Member
5,709 Posts
Meth is a really agrressive fuel and will require a different map and potentialy different fuel components.

Ethanol is not so aggressive and provides decent power gains with far less issues. Providing you have an aftermarket fuel pump that's ethanol compliment and enough inector capacity you will have a great time.

Check out www.birchperformance.co.uk

They can supply you what you need 👍

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have water-methanol injection too. I did wonder about adding 10 - 20% meth directly to the petrol tank and thought the flex fuel sensor would pick up the proportion of meth (similar to ethanol) and send the data to the fuel management part of the ECU.

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think the nearest E85 pump to me is in Calais. The continentals and the Irish have easy access.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Meth is a really agrressive fuel and will require a different map and potentialy different fuel components.

Ethanol is not so aggressive and provides decent power gains with far less issues. Providing you have an aftermarket fuel pump that's ethanol compliment and enough inector capacity you will have a great time.

Check out www.birchperformance.co.uk

They can supply you what you need 👍
Methanol at 20% will not degrade the fuel system, the map will be different yes but the flex fuel works the same way, we were doing this 7-8 years ago with Ryan G on t 911 turbos, picking up 100+ hp on a 600 hp petrol car, 99% pure Methanol medical grade is dirt cheap on Ebay like I said £350 for 100 gallons delivered, Ben Linney is mapping a lot of cars on this small % of meth, advantage is a 20 litre can full in the boot in a car that already has a full tank of mix gives over 400 mile range running E85 on the road is madness at a cost per hp sense, Id happily run 20% meth in mine but somehow I think pump fuel will be too much for the road.
20% meth or E85 no difference as long as car is mapped for it, same additives preserve the fuel system as you are using.

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks like my Ecutek needs a remap to the latest version (mine is early 2018). I can then take advice from you tuning experts on the best options. I have a large tank of methanol in my garage for the WMI.

·
Premium Member
5,709 Posts
You'd be bonkers to buy a bulk package of meth if you're an occasional user. Alchohol fuels lose octane at a fairly rapid rate compared to a petroleum race fuel.

I have mixed views on the bulk meths tbh. Naturally they are illegal to run as there is no fuel duty paid but also despite being certified as pure they more often than not are less than pure due to logistics and fluid transfer practices which introduce other chemicals Into the mix. The purity certificate is generally issued at thr point the fuel is first dispensed.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Well your not running 'meth' as a fuel per say are you? its an additive, so you are no more breaking the law than by adding octane booster which you also sell, but ive never seen VOSA dip a petrol car its only diesels !!!. As for it going 'off' 2 points 1) if it does go 'off' a little the flex fuel will compensate for that as you well know, but also with a display in the car you would also know and could counter by adding a small % more, the flex fuel will only allow a map for the % of eth or meth in the tank, hence if you use e100 at pod and are on half a tank of that and fill up with petrol on way home you will be on say E50 or less and the made will change accordingly so there no worries there, as for not buying in bulk well it seems Phil wants to drive all the time on an Eth or Meth mix and it will only deteriorate after opening so I dont think it will hang around long!!
So simple maths says that £175 of meth will give similar results to approx £1000 of E85 bought in tins!!! Hmm
So its interesting to note that the E85 in tins must have fuel duty paid on it, or does it, import and fuel duty are I believe 2 separate things.

My advice to help your wallet give Ben Linney a call and discuss it with him, he is the only GTR mapper I know of in this country who does regularly map on these small % of Meth cars, and BTW your injector duty cycle will be lower on 20% meth than E85;)

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Just confirmed, tinned E85 has no duty paid therefore both ETH and 100% meth would be technically illegal on the road.
Every fuel goes 'off' the speed with which Shell goes off would shock you, difference is the flex fuel tune allows for that and calibrates accordingly, your road based map cannot re calibrate enough and hence sometimes you will get a flashing MIL with dodgy fuel batches.

·
Premium Member
5,709 Posts
Haha I like the idea of classifying meth and ethanol the same as additives 😂

As an aside, any ethanol and methanol I deal with has full road duty paid so is 100% legal to use on the road. Can't speak for others.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
But used an additive duty doesnt come into it, it works the same way with flex fuel as you well know and Ryan G mapped many cars on it as E85 for daily use is not a viable option, Ben Linney is also mapping cars on Meth % and making more power than E85 % dependant . If Phil wants to use a daily fuel to make far more power than pump then its a no brainer unless he wants to pay £240 a tank to get what 150 mile range.

·
Premium Member
5,709 Posts
I suspect there is a limit on the qty you can put in to class as an additive. Either way, I don't think there's much more to add to the convo. People can make their own choices about what's right for them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts