GTR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone any experience with mapping there car to e85 fule? what sort of performance increase have they seen

·
Registered
968 Posts
Very good question. Asked my HPC today, they claimed max 5 pct bio ethanol allowed but he seemed unsure.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My Audi S4 5 Cyl. was mapped on E85 - very good - only little Coldstart-Issues at Temps under 0° . Then ive mixed 10% Normal-Fuel in the Tank and everything runs fine..
I build my 32 with Focus on E85-Ability too - it has 110 Oktan , but you need approx 20% richer Mixture for run it safe...the Audi (mild Setup with Stock Turbo ~300hp) runs like 30hp less on normal 98 Oktan Fuel...hows the Network of E85-Stations in UK ? Here in Germany only a few Places with E85 - thinking of buying a little Gas-Station (like the smal Diesel ones for Cunstruction Vehicles) and sell it @ my Shop..

·
Registered
4,821 Posts
we have a few maps on our skyline.

We gained about 20hp on 20% E85, but didnt see full gains (boost increase etc) as the car was getting strangled somewhere. Just over 500hp

For reference....

Standard FMIC, dirty air filter and 20% E85 - 500bhp
Standard FMIC, dirty air filter and VPower - 480bhp

We have now changed the FMIC and got new filters - getting 500hp on Vpower, and very little gains from E85 so just using it as an octane booster (use about 10% mix). The car seems to get strangled at 500hp.

I'm sure i have plots. I'll have a look.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Ive mapped a lot of cars in europe recently on E85.
As 98 dies off, E85 garage numbers continue to rise meaning more customers looking at E85 as a higher octane alternative.
I will be mapping my own car exclusively on E85 based on the results ive had over the last 6 months.

It has some down sides, much higher demand on the fuel system for starters.. For most people it means changing injectors as a minimum.

On the flip side ive pulled over 80hp purely from E85 on a 600hp car.

Rob

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Yeah Tweenie's results are much more consistant with what people on this side of the world seem to be getting. Guys are getting 10%+ more power by switching to E85 and tuning more aggressively to suit.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
It has some down sides, much higher demand on the fuel system for starters.. For most people it means changing injectors as a minimum.

Rob
Rob, based on your experience, how much more fuel do I need when running on E85? Is there a rule of thumb, ie. 20% bigger injectors then you'd normaly use?

Marc

·
Registered
14 Posts
@Stachi : yep - and a RB26 is in Progress - some nice Parts coming next Time - Mill runs all the Time.. ;)

BTT :
My Audi feeled "fresher" or "sharper" on E85 - looks like normal Fuel "dampened" the Combustion-Progress...
20% is a Number often heard - but i cant guarantee that...to be on the safe side always control via Lambda-Tool or AFR-related Gauge...
the Audi Valves didnt deliver the Amount that i need for E85 - so i changed them for way bigger ones and decrease Fuel-Pressure as it exceeds optimal AFR...
btw: Looked like the EGT cools down @ E85

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have had very good results with E85.
My S13 with a ca18det completly stock engine exept for an exhaust cam on the intake side and a GT2860R made 352hp at the hubs and almost 450Nm at the hubs on a peak boost of 1,55 and 1,3 bar on peak power.
A 100% identikal s13 exept for normal 98 fuel, and smaller injectors and a pressure of 1,33 al the way made 286Hp and just over 300Nm at the same day in the same dyno.
A S13 like this normaly makes 280-300hub horse power depending on condition of engine and setup so I got a good 15-20% increase in power just with E85, you will need a lot bigger injectors and fuel system but I cant se any downsides with E85 exept there is only 1 gas station in my town here in Norway that sells it..
So 286Hp and just over 300Nm on 98 and 352HP and just under 450Nm on E85 with basikcy same boost when maks power

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
@Stachi : yep - and a RB26 is in Progress - some nice Parts coming next Time - Mill runs all the Time.. ;)
I do milling all the time too :p But I have no true 5-Axis big enough for the RB26 Head.

Put me down for one if you get good numbers! Lets stay in touch about this!

Marc

·
Registered
14 Posts
I dont know the Quality-Standards on this - interesting to know what Tolerance are allowed bead on ISO 9001 or something...i never had Problems .
Ethanol is hygroscopic , normal Fuel not - an Amount of condensing Water can be in the Tank - when you switch to E85 the first hundreds of Km can be lumpy...

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I don't know how it goes in the UK, but here in Germany the fuel station guy is liable for the quality of the fuel. The big companys are all insured for such cases (a Mate had a high percentage of Diesel in his tank, but he filled up 95). So I wouldn't worry about that.

Marc

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
wow exelent response! we were running this fule in out fiesta st rally car as it was the rules for the fiesta challenge but the car came with the necessary ecu so i never got to know anything about it! I think once the pfc is installed i will have it mapped to e85 il keep you guys posted

1 - 17 of 17 Posts