GTR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know the best place to buy a set of Eagle rod's for RB26, i can't find a competative supplier in the UK? Can anyone help??

·
Registered
6,560 Posts
If you get stuck I can get some to you quickly and at a good price, PM me if your interested.

Rob

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
....Are these not regarded as cheap China rods?

·
Registered
6,560 Posts
Alot of people would say so but if thats what he wants I can get them.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers for the input. These are for a friend who's starting a 500-600bhp build and he seems set on changing the rods (but doesn't have a huge budget), so doing some digging for him as he's not on here. Thanks Rob, i am passing all the info to him to make the decision.

·
Registered
97 Posts
....Are these not regarded as cheap China rods?
I think in this case it all depends on what you want to achieve.
Cause Eagles have although made in china proven to be up to the job.
We know Quit a few cars running these rods +700bhp and being used
on the track without any issue's, all depends on how the engine was build.

As far as i know i was never into the chinese production market. But.. . I KNOW for shure as i know it from the scource that quit a few of the BIG brands or just made in china. I am not saying that chines products or typicaly better or as good quality as other Rob. But i can understand why people want to invest only that money in a engine and not extreme priced parts if they wont touch a 1000 bhp anyway.

I dare to say that good ballanced and weighted parts from EAGLE,WISECO,SPOOL will do the job up to a certain level as good as any other brand. and up to 750 bhp i would see any problem either.. how many of us or realy touching 750 bhp....realy.. my point..
Why would a car freak with a tied budget and a dream invest more than he can afford while another brand will give him the same thing for half the price.

I DEFO not recomment these parts for extreme builds, I don't use them either
on serious projects.
Nevertheless on a street/hobby track car who will be pushing not more then 600bhp... they wont be any problem at all if the engine is build properly. and you will be safer, stronger then when you would use Stock parts... sometimes even cheaper. ;-)

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
I like these Japanese-made rods, from this company called "Nissan". They just need ARP rod bolts and they're good to go.

IMHO, Eagle is going a step down from stock. And hearing about other Japanese branded rods being made in China...if I do a stroker, it's Nismo or more probably, American-made rods, the kind that are forged in one piece then cracked.

·
Registered
8,548 Posts
American-made rods, the kind that are forged in one piece then cracked.
Thats called sintering.

While I agree that most things coming out of China are crap I think folks forget about the other stuff. By that I mean stuff that is designed and specced in say UK, USA and then farmed out for manufacture in China due to labour costs etc.

TT

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I don't think that those upcoming cracked Rods are sintered. smarts use cracked Rods btw as Standard.

I think the best on the Eagle Rods are the ARP bolts, and I'm with others on this, for most People they will do the Job just fine. Personal Choice I think.

I'd use Wössner Pistons and Rods, as I like to support my locals. But they're quite pricey and not anyone wants to spend that much.

Marc

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
well, that is true. Just because it's made by Chinese doesn't mean it inherently sucks. I used to work as a designer at The North Face, and met someone who started in on how crappy Chinese work was, bordering on outright racism, and how much quality had declined ever since TNF had started farming out around 90% of their sewing work to China (the guy was asian, and I would have actually guessed him to BE chinese, although it's hard to tell). So...since my workshop was next door to the production rooms, I snapped a pic of the "Made in USA" North Face product and showed the guy. It featured rows of sewing machines manned by....Chinese women.

It really all depends on the supply chain and how much the parent company is involved. The North Face has all their backpacks made in Korea - very little involvement. The prototypes were sewn up in the workshop I was in (I was in prototyping but with tents), then the fabric patterns sent to Korea, then they'd ship us back the finished product. But the Chinese-made stuff, all the gore-tex jackets, and most tents...not only were the fabric patterns sent, but also the fabric itself and even the thread and other stuff like seam-sealing tape.

So it really just boils down to a matter of trust. I don't know how Eagle rods are made, but I know how American rods are. As for Eagle, JUN, HKS, maybe even Nismo? Are they just sending specifications to a Chinese foundry? Or are they actually making the billets from high-grade Japanese steel, then sending them to China to be forged?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Yes a lot of people run Eagle HD rods in +1000bhp cars. nissan stock rod won't do this.

I use Pauter rods in my Race engines and they haven't failed on me up to now. But for Street cars up to 600 ( RB's ) i used EAGLE before and they did the job to. never had a failed engine on them either.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
I was told that Eagle rods are made in the same factory that also make the Tomei ones.

The fake Tomei ones maybe....

Eagles are fine for lets say 600-700hp,more important is how the engine is build...

Having something wrong there with the bearings mean your going to have a failure(which most would blame on the cheap eagle rods instead of their own work)

·
Registered
97 Posts
accualy i saw a pic ones from an Eagle set of pistons with One Tomei rod in the same box?

Is there anybody who can show me a failed RB26 Eagle rod.. with prove it was the ROD?

I have done some research and not many rods brakes engines because of THE ROD failing 99.9 percent is bearings that spun.

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
I once asked the same question - about the stock rods. No documented rod failures. Rod bolts, yes. Bearings, plenty of times. But never the stock rod snapped or bent. Has happened on other cars (I've personally seen and touched a 997 Turbo rod that bent IN HALF from engine knock). Lots of searching, plenty of cases of other rods failing spectacularly - but no Nissan stock rods.

I have stock rods in a six figure engine. Nothing was overlooked. That was a very thought out, conscious decision that was obviously not influenced by budget.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts