Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Were going up to test a new machine..... Anyone else want to come:

1. Andrew - FD3S
2. Emily - S14
3. Karl - Support Team
4. Brad - Support Team

Should be fun :D We will use all three tracks including the D1 Course if its open.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nah mate, i just want to go somewhere to try out my FD and give Emily some basic Lessons. As you know Ebisu is the only "pay and play" course... Plus should be dead on a Monday :D

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like it will be a good day! Just need The guys to get my new steering rack fitted pronto!:

1. Andrew - FD3S
2. Emily - S14
3. Karl - Support Team
4. Brad - Support Team
5. Dino - AE86
6. Miguel - AE87
7. Film Crew (3?)

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The mad Irish clan may also make it!

1. Andrew - FD3S
2. Emily - S14
3. Karl - Support Team
4. Brad - Support Team
5. Dino - AE86
6. Miguel - AE87
7. Film Crew (3?)
8. Mad Irishman x 7 (!)

·
Registered
341 Posts
Powervehicles said:
The mad Irish clan may also make it!

1. Andrew - FD3S
2. Emily - S14
3. Karl - Support Team
4. Brad - Support Team
5. Dino - AE86
6. Miguel - AE87
7. Film Crew (3?)
8. Mad Irishmen x 7 (!)
Im 1 of those Irishmen (6 men and 1 lady actually),we are definate,apart from 4 hours of train journey :bawling:

The film crew are Darryl,Nick and 2 others from Treble 2 who film D1GB,amongst other things,looking foward to meeting everyone

Andy,bring a 4 door or do a quick 3S-GTE/manual conversion on a Toyota Comfort Taxicab :)

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Yeah, good to see you guys there. Had it not been for the social aspect, it would have been a long trip for nothing! Hope you got decent pics of the pink AE86, Dino. I spoke with Techno Pro Spirits about the problems we were having with it - Spring rates are probably wrong. Front should be 6 or 7kg, rear 4 or 5km. Feels a lot harder than that, so they're set for grip. Also the diff may not be locking properly...It's okay, first time driving it. We'll develop it into a pukka drift weapon soon enough!

Was good to use my AE86. Mapping's spot on and works well with the new N2 racing manifold from KMS. Strong power and good torque.

Shame about all that rain!!! - Tracks were lethal when part wet, with understeer and oversteer depending on what slippery parts of the track the tyres went on. Got better later, as the rain got more heavy, but my AE86 was out of action.

MY clutch on the AE86 gave up after drifting for too long.... To much clutch kicking in 2nd gear. Made some nasty noises at the biting point....but didn't slip once engaged. Probably the friction material fallen off...

Shame, as we then discovered there were better tracks to go on, such as the Touge circuit, or the longer 2km curcuits :(

Nursed it back home with Allen in his AE86 and the others in my Pajero, down the highway to Kuki interchange in Saitama just synchronising the gears and not using the clutch at all - Starting the car in 1st gear to get it off the line....

Techno Pro Spirits met me at the highway exit with their transporter. They've promised the car will have a new TRD clutch plate by Friday, ready to go to Nikko on Saturday for their trackday. Excellent service from those dudes!

Should be fun mixing it with all the other AE86's & stuff there. Hopefully the track will be dry, or I'm staying at home and sitting that one out!

Miguel.

·
Registered
9,546 Posts
Newera said:
Yeah, good to see you guys there. Had it not been for the social aspect, it would have been a long trip for nothing! Hope you got decent pics of the pink AE86, Dino. I spoke with Techno Pro Spirits about the problems we were having with it - Spring rates are probably wrong. Front should be 6 or 7kg, rear 4 or 5km. Feels a lot harder than that, so they're set for grip. Also the diff may not be locking properly...It's okay, first time driving it. We'll develop it into a pukka drift weapon soon enough!

Was good to use my AE86. Mapping's spot on and works well with the new N2 racing manifold from KMS. Strong power and good torque.

Shame about all that rain!!! - Tracks were lethal when part wet, with understeer and oversteer depending on what slippery parts of the track the tyres went on. Got better later, as the rain got more heavy, but my AE86 was out of action.

MY clutch on the AE86 gave up after drifting for too long.... To much clutch kicking in 2nd gear. Made some nasty noises at the biting point....but didn't slip once engaged. Probably the friction material fallen off...

Shame, as we then discovered there were better tracks to go on, such as the Touge circuit, or the longer 2km curcuits :(

Nursed it back home with Allen in his AE86 and the others in my Pajero, down the highway to Kuki interchange in Saitama just synchronising the gears and not using the clutch at all - Starting the car in 1st gear to get it off the line....

Techno Pro Spirits met me at the highway exit with their transporter. They've promised the car will have a new TRD clutch plate by Friday, ready to go to Nikko on Saturday for their trackday. Excellent service from those dudes!

Should be fun mixing it with all the other AE86's & stuff there. Hopefully the track will be dry, or I'm staying at home and sitting that one out!

Miguel.
I was actually enjoying the car in it's grip set up, did more laps when you left. Adding more negative camber certainly improved on the understeer side, allowing more speed on entry and more power on exit. Phenomenal grip in the wet, really impressed with it. But the car is all over the place. All the geometry needs to be set straight as well as the issue with the right side rear rubbing more than the left (still does it even after the wheel change). Diff doesn't lock soon/fast enough and like you said both the damper & spring rates are way to aggressive for a drift car. Engine runs a bit too rich low down and hates half-throttle. Probably a bit more torque can be tuned in with the PFC and cam adjustments. It's all there...just needs a bit of work & time to set up right. I'm sure Allen will love it when sorted.

Lesson learned from the day....I need a beaten up S14 to practice with as I can't drift worth sh1t:D LOL

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
DCD said:
I was actually enjoying the car in it's grip set up, did more laps when you left. Adding more negative camber certainly improved on the understeer side, allowing more speed on entry and more power on exit. Phenomenal grip in the wet, really impressed with it. But the car is all over the place. All the geometry needs to be set straight as well as the issue with the right side rear rubbing more than the left (still does it even after the wheel change). Diff doesn't lock soon/fast enough and like you said both the damper & spring rates are way to aggressive for a drift car. Engine runs a bit too rich low down and hates half-throttle. Probably a bit more torque can be tuned in with the PFC and cam adjustments. It's all there...just needs a bit of work & time to set up right. I'm sure Allen will love it when sorted.

Lesson learned from the day....I need a beaten up S14 to practice with as I can't drift worth sh1t:D LOL
Like you say Dino - It's all there. Just needs setting up (Plus a new diff!)
It'll have to get new springs - and a suspension & geometry re-setting. The steering is way too heavy even without PAS.
I suspect it's not been well mapped if the suspension's so far out too. Plus it used more fuel than mine on the trip up (mine runs more power!) so it's probably rich. Spark plugs will tell.

Maybe a trip to Run Free or Techno Pro Spirits will be on the cards :D :D

I couldn't drift it properly either - so don't be so hard on yourself!
Maybe try my AE86 next time, it's properly set up...

As for getting an S14. Stop talking about it and just do it ferchrisakes!!
You really need to :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:

Hope you can make another dirft day in the dry. No photos, just fun. We're doing a TPS trackday on Saturday (weather permitting) if you're not busy behind the lenz elsewhere (Will give you a drive in my AE86 if you come :D :p :thumbsup: ).

1 - 20 of 25 Posts