GTR Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys I'm after some help if possible as there seems to be literally 100's of ecu options out there and I can't choose between them!

First of I have a R32 Gtr, running a holset single turbo, power fc (with afms) and all the supporting mods, currently running a nice 400whp at 1.2 bar.

The car is only used for fast road use and maybe at some point the odd track day.

I'm going to be taking the car off the road this winter to carryout some upgrades, a general tidy up and refresh.

Now I'm planning on dropping in some type b cams and possibly going down the precision turbo route, as the bottom end is stock I won't be running huge power/boost.

Now here's where I'm struggling, I want to ditch the apexi ecu in favour of something more modern and with a map sensor.

Link and haltech both offer reasonably priced "plug in" ecus with built in map sensors, but the built in map sensors only go upto 1.5bar which will be fine all the time I'm running the stock bottom end/modest figures, but I do have a spare engine in the garage that I plan on forging at some point and really getting the most of of the turbo setup (of course other supporting mods will be done)

At that point though if I did have a plug in ecu already installed I'd have to look at replacing it again in favour of something with a larger map sensor which isn't really very vist efficient.

So can you upgrade the internal map sensors? Or can you wire in an external one?

If no to the above am I better off going for a complete standalone ecu? If so are they difficult to wire in? (I'm a mercedes diagnostic technician so I can read wiring diagrams and can cut and solder to a good standard).

Does anyone have any suggestions as the vast range of ecus out there makes it difficult to decide lol.

Sorry for the essay, any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers graham

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Really? Are they quite readily available? Would that be an internal one or a larger external one?

·
Registered
241 Posts
emtron ecu have a very good reputation.
think mark shead madevelopments has started fitting them to quite a few evo's, not sure on gtr's give him a call his mobile is on google if you google madevelopments.

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
The off the shelf Link G4+ plug in ECU now has a 4.0 Bar MAP sensor built in.

·
Premium Member
3,662 Posts
Hi

Go for a ViPec-I88 Or a Link-G4+ Both have 4-Bar and are plug and play we have both in stock but we only have 1-Vipec-I88 Left both great ECUs

Regards Mgt

Hi guys I'm after some help if possible as there seems to be literally 100's of ecu options out there and I can't choose between them!

First of I have a R32 Gtr, running a holset single turbo, power fc (with afms) and all the supporting mods, currently running a nice 400whp at 1.2 bar.

The car is only used for fast road use and maybe at some point the odd track day.

I'm going to be taking the car off the road this winter to carryout some upgrades, a general tidy up and refresh.

Now I'm planning on dropping in some type b cams and possibly going down the precision turbo route, as the bottom end is stock I won't be running huge power/boost.

Now here's where I'm struggling, I want to ditch the apexi ecu in favour of something more modern and with a map sensor.

Link and haltech both offer reasonably priced "plug in" ecus with built in map sensors, but the built in map sensors only go upto 1.5bar which will be fine all the time I'm running the stock bottom end/modest figures, but I do have a spare engine in the garage that I plan on forging at some point and really getting the most of of the turbo setup (of course other supporting mods will be done)

At that point though if I did have a plug in ecu already installed I'd have to look at replacing it again in favour of something with a larger map sensor which isn't really very vist efficient.

So can you upgrade the internal map sensors? Or can you wire in an external one?

If no to the above am I better off going for a complete standalone ecu? If so are they difficult to wire in? (I'm a mercedes diagnostic technician so I can read wiring diagrams and can cut and solder to a good standard).

Does anyone have any suggestions as the vast range of ecus out there makes it difficult to decide lol.

Sorry for the essay, any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers graham

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
According to the link website it's only the G4 storm with the 4bar map sensor, is this not the case then?

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
According to the link website it's only the G4 storm with the 4bar map sensor, is this not the case then?
I work right next door to where they are made....I can 100% confirm the G4+ plug in for the R32/33/34 skyline/GTR has a 4bar MAP sensor built in.

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,203 Posts
Really? Are they quite readily available? Would that be an internal one or a larger external one?
Apparently so. At some point I will get my internal MAP sensor upgraded. I forget the price quoted but it wasn't massive. If you're buying new then it sounds like you get it already.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
All sounds pretty good then, I think the link G4+ might be a good shout!

Apparently so. At some point I will get my internal MAP sensor upgraded. I forget the price quoted but it wasn't massive. If you're buying new then it sounds like you get it already.

Who/where will you be getting yours done mate?

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,203 Posts
All sounds pretty good then, I think the link G4+ might be a good shout!

Who/where will you be getting yours done mate?
Most likely Abbey. They have done the mapping so far.

FWIW my feelings on the ECUs are stock -> Nistune -> Link/Vipec -> Syvecs. You choose how much cash you want to spend.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts