GTR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there an ecu on the market where you can do away with the standard air flow meters?
also are the manual boost controllers any good as a cheap way out of buying an expensive electronic one........

·
Registered
689 Posts
I have an Evo and on that with an AFM you cannot have above around 400BHP.

They are also very tempremental and go wrong alot, and can cause stalling with a VTA dump valve.

With a Map sensor it sits in the inlet manifold so what it reads is what the engine recieves no assumptions for recirculated air.

Thanks

Antony

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
`With a Map sensor it sits in the inlet manifold so what it reads is what the engine recieves no assumptions for recirculated air.`

Errm No.

With MAF sensors you directly measure mass air flow into the engine. With MAP you measure manifold pressure and the ECU calculates mass air flow based on its air path model. So much misinformation about MAP Vs MAF.

MAP based systems will not give you as repeatable AFR as MAF (I`m talking aftermarket ECU`s here, not OEM). Driveability can usually be optimized further over MAP as well.

Only real advantage of D-jetro on GTR is it saves the cost of two MAF upgrades when you saturate the std ones.......

·
Registered
689 Posts
`With a Map sensor it sits in the inlet manifold so what it reads is what the engine recieves no assumptions for recirculated air.`

Errm No.

With MAF sensors you directly measure mass air flow into the engine. With MAP you measure manifold pressure and the ECU calculates mass air flow based on its air path model. So much misinformation about MAP Vs MAF.

MAP based systems will not give you as repeatable AFR as MAF (I`m talking aftermarket ECU`s here, not OEM). Driveability can usually be optimized further over MAP as well.

Only real advantage of D-jetro on GTR is it saves the cost of two MAF upgrades when you saturate the std ones.......
Not sure with Skyline, but with the Evo the Maf is next to the filter and therefore does not read the air that is recirculated by the DV so if you use VTA there is less airflow than is expected, whereas a MAP sensor, as you said reads manifold pressure and works out airflow from that.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies,.,
and what do you think about having a manual boost controller or does the jetro do all of that as well

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thanks for the replies,.,
and what do you think about having a manual boost controller or does the jetro do all of that as well
Manual boost controllers can work very well if they're installed correctly and you don't mind a couple psi of overshoot. Manual boost controllers can't anticipate when when the wastegate actuator will need a bump, but the electronic ones can.

I'me currently running a manual one and have mounted it as close as possible to the turbos. It maintains steady boost with no creep at high rpms, but overshoots by 2 psi or so during hard first gear accelleration and when I'm at full boost on partial throttle (in any gear) and then drop the hammer.

I'm not a professional tuner, but my take is that a couple of psi over normal maximum boost for a fraction of a second is unlikely to hurt anything unless your tune doesn't know what to do with the extra air.

If you go with PFC, the boost control kit is nice because it enables the boost-related map compensation features and overboost protection. You can wire in a cheaper MAP sensor, but it's much cleaner just to plug in the one Apexi intended you to use.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,
Dan

·
Registered
264 Posts
haltech makes a plug in kit for the rb26dett for the e11v12 ecu, it is a verry good system for a good price. Plug in unit is around 855 quid. It is more accuratly mappable than the PFC,
But if you're aiming for 500 hp then the pfc will be perfect.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts