GTR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Looking for a bit af advice here,

Most people seem to use HKS, AEM, Apexera/Apexi (whatever they were/are called)

Apart from Hugh Keir I haven't noticed many using MoTeC by the looks of things,

I have heard that they are very easy to use to map but are expensive.

Without starting a debate I have also heard that they are the best.

Also big power/drag cars seem to use them would they be it for purpose for a street/track day car?

Cheers

Sev

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
I think "magoo" on here uses a Motec

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
nigel f said:
Pectel are also a very good option

Nigel
Nigel,

I called Pectel twice before deciding on Motec.

First time I called Pectel, the guy I spoke to told me they weren't suitable for road cars, the second time I called, the guy more or less told me to stop wasting their time. He said there was no way the Nissan trigger disc would work with their ECU.

I didn't need to try again a third time. I do however still think they are good ECU's just not an easy company to deal with.

What none of you have so far mentioned is the quality of service you get from Motec, they are always helpful, they will talk to you on the phone, or respond to E-Mails very quickly. You do not get charged for the support, as far as I can tell, it comes as part of buying the ECU.

Motec also run courses on how to use their products which I found extremely helpful

Yup it's lots of work to wire in an ECU compared to the plug and play options, but it has for me been a great investment, I can't imagine using anything else in the future.

The new version 3 software is available to download from here

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Sev,

I use all the standard Nissan sensors on my engine, I even use the R34 MFD map sensor to provide the load input to the Motec.

Motec will read the Nissan CAS without difficulty.

The only nissan sensors I do not use are the lambdas where I use two widebands instead.

The main issue is wiring, if you knew someone that would make a loom for you the system would be plug and play.

Cheers

Hugh

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Hugh Keir said:
Sev,

I use all the standard Nissan sensors on my engine, I even use the R34 MFD map sensor to provide the load input to the Motec.

The only nissan sensors I do not use are the lambdas where I use two widebands instead.

The main issue is wiring, if you knew someone that would make a loom for you the system would be plug and play.

Cheers

Hugh
I want to junk the Nissan CAS when I change ECUs as I understood it was one of the RBs biggest weak points.
I am surprised that you got such a lacklustre attitude from Pectel as they have been super helpful when I have contacted them. They are moving into road car conversions very actively now.

Cam

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hugh Keir said:
Sev,

Cheers

Hugh
Hugh,

Thanks for that mate,

Yeah I noticed the wiring issue in another thread when I did a search,

I will probably get it installed and mapped at Owen Developments, they are a MoTeC distributor and rabbit on about MoTeC every time I go there,

Perhaps they have all the stuff for an easy set-up?

Just out of interest, is it easy to map with? and did you get that multifunctional display MoTeC do with it?

Thanks

Sev

·
Registered
393 Posts
The DragCombat 700 uses MoTec. Not to sure what cam/crank sensors he uses.

My R32 GTR Uses M880 and a ADL2 which also controls the 4wd. It is an awesome peice of kit.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Big Sev said:
Hugh,

Just out of interest, is it easy to map with? and did you get that multifunctional display MoTeC do with it?

Thanks

Sev
Sev,

Mapping with Motec is much like any other ECU.

With Motec, you can set a target Lambda and have the software work out the correct number for the map.

Best fuel tuning is done with an off boost map to get the driveability right and a boost map to get the power right.

The MFD is the standard dashboard display on the R34 GTR, I tapped into the wire feeding the MFD to get the boost voltage.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts