GTR Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to do 2530 turbo upgrades on my GTR with all the other bolt-on upgrades, fuel, PFC and etc.

I want to look into sending my head to a shop for basic porting and polishing.

1) Will this increase top end and take away from response, all else being equal?

2) If you had the basic port and polish job which duration and lift camshafts have you had success with?

3) If its a high lift camshaft, is there a complete valvetrain kit to match?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Building my car for time attack.

Just need to know which camshafts to pair with my 2530s and basic/mild headwork?

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Personally id go with Tomei 260/9.15 cams........good all round cams, which work very well with 2530's..........
Or if you are looking for top end power go for a higher duration......something like HKS 272's (step 2 cams).

·
Registered
8,548 Posts
Have a look at the Tomei cams HERE. Tomei spec the 260° -10.25mm (Procam MID) for their ARMS B7660 turbos which are close to 2530 spec. Should give you some idea.

TT

Reactions: Egnaro

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice.

I was looking to go with the Tomei 260/260 9.15 with the 2530 and no headwork.

But, since I'm going to do mild headwork, I was wondering if there is a more optimal camshaft to match.

Do you guys have a similar set up on your car with seat time feedback?

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
Have a look at the Tomei cams HERE. Tomei spec the 260° -10.25mm (Procam MID) for their ARMS B7660 turbos which are close to 2530 spec. Should give you some idea.

TT
by going with the 10.25mm lift, aren't other modifications necessary? I'm planning to put in Poncams (B type) at some point, but that choice is mainly because I don't have to do new valves, springs, and god knows what else. Just drop in and go.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Pon cams are suited to 2530's. And will allow 500+ whp.

I'm building my R32 for time attack aswell, and i'm thinking maybe a little port and polish will increase lower end power and get full boost quicker.
The guy who's building my engine said not to bother going that far with the head as you only need to change cams to acheive 500+ whp.

You cant go over 10mm lift unless you change the full head set up, which is a very very expansive outlay! (titanium this, titanium that, coated this etc...) and unless your looking for serious power its not needed.

I've been looking at the Jun cams lately, 264 duration and 9.7mm lift! The large lift surely means you can get more fuel in and thus gain more power quickly!!?? My friend has these fitted and he made around 520bhp @ hubs @ 1.2bar with 2530's.

I'm going to have new bronze valve guides fitted and the valves triple cut, only going to fit new retainers if the current ones are nackered.

Probably a good idea to fit a very good intercooler as this will minimize lag and increase hp due to lower intake temp than have alot of head work carried out.

·
Registered
303 Posts
You cant go over 10mm lift unless you change the full head set up, which is a very very expansive outlay! (titanium this, titanium that, coated this etc...) and unless your looking for serious power its not needed..
Rubbish. Time for the people with actual knowledge to reply about headwork and what's required :rolleyes:

·
Registered
366 Posts
Rubbish. Time for the people with actual knowledge to reply about headwork and what's required :rolleyes:

then POST the CORRECT INFORMATION! Just dont shoot him down and leave everyone guessing...

·
Registered
303 Posts
i didnt specify what needs to be done as i'm not 100% certain so i left it open for the shops on here to reply, but obviously they havnt, but u atleast need to get the head machined (to allow extra lift) for anything ~10.5mm+, and heavy duty springs. no need for titanium anything, or even guides, lifters, valves, its just a waste (unless ur going ~10,000rpm and massive power)

dont take that as gospel, ask the shop who'se doing it for you just to make sure :)

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I believe the 9.15mm is near the max lift before you need to drop more coin.

I'd like to hear some more feedback. I know mild headwork for a drag car is different than for a time attack car.

With that said, choice of cams to match with your specific headwork and turbos is what I'm after.

Mild headwork for time attack + 2530s = what type of cams that are more aggressive than Tomei 260/260 9.15mm?

TIA

·
Registered
436 Posts
shanef is right, i think you can go to about 10.5 before more work is needed.

But like he said you are best of talking to an "expert"

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
shanef is right, i think you can go to about 10.5 before more work is needed.

But like he said you are best of talking to an "expert"

AHHHHHGHGHHGHGHHGHG

Base circle stock cam 32 mm. Base circle most aftermarket cams... some... a few of them 30mm. With a smaller base circle you can have a taller cam profile, but you have to make the 2mm up in the shim.

Biggest lift- stock head 9.15....

Other than that...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts