GTR Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I did a run-down considering my turbo upgrade choice:

Setup: Forged internal, poncam Type-B, RB26 86.5mm

My goal: Have a fantastic quick car while making approx. 600whp. I.e: great transient response/ quick spool-up.

1) Intake and charge pipe : In all case, I will need to pay for custom pipings so doesn't matter.

Advantage : None ( propably, twin will cost a bit more, but not much my mechanic told me)

2) Turbos: PTE 6266 1800$us. EFR 83/74 2000us. Twin GTX2863/60 approx. 2500$us ( if you can find a deal on an used rear housing from -5s)

Advantage : single by about 500$

3) Manifold : 6boost are about 1300$us, while Raw brokeage, Full-race or doc race are all 2000$us. Would you know any manifold in the 1000$ range good for RB26 T4 ?

Advantage : 2000$ for twin.

4) Downpipe/outlet : Again, not needed for twin if you use -5 rear housing. For single, it seems like it could cost about 650-1000$ to make.

Advantage : 750$ for twins.

5) Wastegate : EFR have IWG, but was told that they were not *fantastic* and could have boost creep. for PTE, no choice to go external. Now obvisouly, you want best spool, so your going divided and thus need 2 wastegate lol

Advantage : 500$ for twins.

Am- I forgetting something ? I was trying to see if it wouldn't be cheaper to buy as a whole kit.. I only found 2 shop that do it.

Raw brokerage with a PTE 6266 for 5100$ ( but my mechanic told me not to buy this kit as he dont seems to have confidence in them) I honestly, havent found one review about their kit so I really dont know if its quality or really fit like a glove..

Or the Garage Whifbitz which is 4 900$ ( but run with a boostlab turbos, so I would need to ask for a price without this turbo ( prefer to stick with pte or BW EFR) ) and does not include an intake kit.

So.. what would you do ? try to buy everything separately or buy as a kit ?
Go single or stick with twins ?

Thanks for helping me clearing this out :thumbsup:

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,203 Posts
One area of consideration is the air metering. If you are running MAFs etc. If you go MAP then there is no difference.

Likewise on the BOV front. If you want to use the OEM reircs then twin it is.

For the power level you are looking at surely the money saved makes the decision obvious. The money saved ($2750 by your reckoning) could be better spent elsewhere on ECU or vcam or whatever.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
What dyno and fuel is this going to be tuned on?

A FP3582HTA with a single T3 manifold (which should cut cost and complexity down) would probably outspool all of the other options and do 600whp without any stress on E85 - just won't flow quite as well as the others if you wanted to push for a lot more power.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
im on 94+ WMI. no access to E85 and using a dynpack.

However, I probably over-exagerated the need for custom piping for GTX option so I'm leaning toward this solution. the 300zx crowd seems to like them much.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
GTX(63) twins with modified -5 front covers are the best compromise of performance and price.
A couple hundred for machining then you can use stock or off the shelf pipework.

EFR8374 would be the best budget unlimited.

If budget isn't unlimited and you decide you only want a single setup, then PT6262.
(best compromise of performance and price for a single)

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
GTX(63) twins with modified -5 front covers are the best compromise of performance and price.
A couple hundred for machining then you can use stock or off the shelf pipework.

EFR8374 would be the best budget unlimited.

If budget isn't unlimited and you decide you only want a single setup, then PT6262.
(best compromise of performance and price for a single)
this is my exact though lol !

My tuner told me to wait and get it tuned with my new haltech ( they have an option for throttle % which should help response with ITB) play a bit with cams and put a few kms on it and see if I really want to shed a couple thousand for better response after that. ( Honest and logical reply I feel)

·
Registered
320 Posts
agreed, since you already have supporting mods for twin garretts, that would be the easiest next step. however it is not inexpensive and time consuming to swap everything over. And, it's likely they will surge/shuffle at lower rpm and may not deliver the performance you really are targeting compared to your current or previous turbos (since they are all very similar)

there have been zero reports of boost creep on the EFR's internal WG that i am aware of... I think your source may be confused. If the 0.92 a/r is not limiting your power goals then it makes a lot of sense and the IWG is a huge cost benefit.

... that being said if you need new intake and charge pipes anyway, why not consider twin EFR6258 -- this is the best kit ive driven on an RB26... the spool of the EFR8374 with plenty more top end. the manifolds are less costly than the twinscroll setups also... if i was building a GTR right now, that's the direction i'd go. also we have the pipings here in stock at a very good rate... twin EFR far outperforms the single

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
there have been zero reports of boost creep on the EFR's internal WG that i am aware of... I think your source may be confused. If the 0.92 a/r is not limiting your power goals then it makes a lot of sense and the IWG is a huge cost benefit.
If any car with an EFR internal WG is going to suffer from boost creep it would be mine :) ....... No problem with it here, I have however probably maxed out the EFR 8374 .92a/r IWG turbo, but I'm running an RB30 with a worked head. On an RB26 you won't have this problem (not that the response and power that it makes is a problem!! :bowdown1: )

... that being said if you need new intake and charge pipes anyway, why not consider twin EFR6258 -- this is the best kit ive driven on an RB26... the spool of the EFR8374 with plenty more top end. the manifolds are less costly than the twinscroll setups also... if i was building a GTR right now, that's the direction i'd go. also we have the pipings here in stock at a very good rate... twin EFR far outperforms the single
.......but it's sooo clean with the lack of extra piping and stuff on the single EFR with IWG......stop talking me into more power Geoff!! Haha :chairshot

·
Registered
320 Posts
^^that is my all time favorite performing RB setup due to the low inertia on the twins. Single turbos advantage of less piping and less plumbing is helpful for install and servicing, but the twins tend to outperform the single when it comes to outright performance *particularly in the midrange*

1 - 10 of 10 Posts