GTR Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has any gtr owners had such a problem.

To explain, std r34 gtr comes with a egt sensor mounted in the turbo elbow after the turbo.

But if you was to mount the egt sensor before the turbo as is what is recommened for much more accurate readings, and the sensor was to break, would it not destroy your turbo?

What are the r34 gtr egt sensors track record, are they a good quality make, considering they are OEM. Would it be advisable to ditch the old egt sensor for a brand new OEM sensor, would this help void the sensor failure?

Or is there a better quality sensor on the market that is less prone to self destruction and taking your engine with it.

I heard the the sensor needed to be made of a aerospace material 'Inconal'
and so was least likly to fail.

Any info on this subject would be gratefully appreciated.

cheers.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
northstar34

I wouldn use any kind of sensor on a turbo inlet if it brakes you will destroy your compresor wheel, the egt is for exhaust gas temperature so in the front of a turbo you will only get the temps of the inlet air and not your exhaust one, you already have i think a sensor for the inlet temps, egt is made from inconel which has a very high melding point i think over 1700-2000 dec. we use a lot this material on our small gas turbines on jet model airplanes. I believe the oem will be just fine.

·
Registered
834 Posts
DrGtr I think he means mount the egt senser on the exhaust manifold rather than the downpipe

I have seen egt sensors that have more of a short fat tip on them, less likely to shear off. Specifically for use in front of a turbo but I cant remember where I saw them or what gauges they would be compatible with

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Inconel probes are vital on performance turbo charged petrol engines when mounted in the only worthwhile and meaningful place, as near the engine valves as realistically possible. Stainless probes may melt and take the the turbine blades with it.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
DrGtr I think he means mount the egt senser on the exhaust manifold rather than the downpipe

I have seen egt sensors that have more of a short fat tip on them, less likely to shear off. Specifically for use in front of a turbo but I cant remember where I saw them or what gauges they would be compatible with
As 'M SKINNER' has said. Was thinking about tapping the sensor into the manifold, so, before the turbo.

My OEM egt sensor has seen better days so was thinking of buying a new one.

Should l stick with the OEM part or is there a better, tried and tested sensor (inconel material) on the market that l could mount before the turbo and have no fear.

Where do the majority of the tuners mount there egt sensors?.... l have a low mount single t04z setup, if the info helps.

P.s which brings me to the question, what material is the OEM sensor made out of?

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Chris, are you able to get these sensors that you say are in teh motec catologue and at what cost.

Can they be mated to work with the mfd in the r34 gtr, basically, can l wire it up using the same oem wiring in the engine bay and the temp info will display on my mfd display?

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Chris, are you able to get these sensors that you say are in teh motec catologue and at what cost.

Can they be mated to work with the mfd in the r34 gtr, basically, can l wire it up using the same oem wiring in the engine bay and the temp info will display on my mfd display?
I have some of the German oes spare, hey are 3mm diameter I think, and I should have the stainless 1/8 BSP fittings to srew them into the manifold(s). No idea what size an R34 GTR probe is though, so you might need one in a separate hole. If the stock GTR one is a K type thermocouple, which it lmost certainly will be, these will just wire up t the dash. I hve the proper k type plugs and sockets too. I am ill in bed with this damn Swine flu, but hopefully up and about again this week, so if you need a price i can check it out. The Motec ones are VERY dear for nothing any better than a generic Inconel probe. They are also bulky.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Sorry to here about the swine flu, hope you get better, lots of vitamin c concentrate should keep your imune system in check to beat the flu.

As for the sensor, keep me posted, lm very interested and tell me what l need to do/info to collect to see if they are compatable..

cheers chris.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.