GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone fitted an electric power steering pump to a 32 gtr ...?

i was thinking about it both to lose some weight and to get some more power because of less load on the engine ..

i've been told that a citroen saxo pump is a good start
anyone got any fitting details ...? or ideas .. ?

i did a quick search but didn't come up with anything...

·
Premium Member
3,994 Posts
has anyone fitted an electric power steering pump to a 32 gtr ...?

i was thinking about it both to lose some weight and to get some more power because of less load on the engine ..

i've been told that a citroen saxo pump is a good start
anyone got any fitting details ...? or ideas .. ?

i did a quick search but didn't come up with anything...
Contact Rob at RIPS he might just have the answers you are looking for.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
my thinking is that the pump has got to take a lot of power from the engine ..we all know how much power the aircon pump sucks .. and the psp is on all the time to a degree

fitting one should be pretty straight foward i'm just not sure about pressures and the like ..

jeff.. rob has used the electric pump conversion has he .. ?

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
A friend of mine used one from Mercedes A-class.
Easy simple pump to install. Only 3 wires. Workes very well.

Another friend used one from Opel Astra (vauxhall? ) but that is a bit bulky, and needed some custom work.

Ive heard people try to use one from Ford, but it has some "complicated" wiring to work.

How many hp does the powersteering steal anyway?

Asim

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
Its easy ...
You can use an MR2 pump too.
But those euro pumps might be cheaper and easier for you guys to find
Its about $400 nzd for the toymota Mr2 pump here

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
The pump your looking at uses pressure depending on how you turn the wheel in that direction it then moves the fluid in that direction, blah blah.

They are renound to be troublesome and go wrong relatively. However for about £300 you can buy them and get it connected.

I have investigated power steering electric pumps, electric water pumps and also electric oil pumps.

All good ideas and fitment is something I am working on myself currently.

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
Surely the pump only loads the engine when the wheels are changing direction? Would you really miss a few hp then? (Maybe for drifting)

·
Registered
359 Posts
There was another thread about running a mechanical fuel pump...
As I understand it no electric pumps last like mechanical ones, the only advantage with electric seems to be 'power only on demand' but that demand is often more than realised...
Some cars now have fully electric steering racks, however they are a con-trick to lower emissions and increase mpg figures on test with a 100% static steering wheel, in practice they fail far too often and draw huge power when fidgeting of the steering over normal roads with bumps.
If it ain't broke.....

·
Registered
885 Posts
Theres an Irish race/TA GTR that has it done.

Or you can go to demon tweeks and get stung out of about 2000 quid for a fancy bling bling jobbie.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so all in all then it's easy to fit an electric pump just a matter of connecting the pipes and power wires no complex pressure and flow rates etc.. to take into account ..?

419 Posts
electric pump

Claire Williams has one fitted on her supercharged GTS. aka Bootylicious. Been on there for a few years.

Tony

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
the gtr standard pump works on a speed basis also taking its feed and reducing the pressure to make it heavier when faster speeds.

Last thing you want it to turn at 70mph and you go flying off a direction easily.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
the gtr standard pump works on a speed basis also taking its feed and reducing the pressure to make it heavier when faster speeds.

Last thing you want it to turn at 70mph and you go flying off a direction easily.
surely though all pumps work like this as the speed versus steering sensitivity issue appliess to all cars ..!!

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
so what seems to be the most suitable pump for this application ?

and where would the signal for the speed sensor come from ?

and ideas ..?

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
so what seems to be the most suitable pump for this application ?

and where would the signal for the speed sensor come from ?

and ideas ..?
The mercedes and opel pumps dont need a speed signal. They work at the same rate all the time.
In my friends car it works like a charm, no problem what so ever.

The other one has a opel pump in a cossie, works perfect there also.

Only three wires, main plus, earth and one to connect to ignitionkey.

Asim

1 - 20 of 34 Posts