GTR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not trying to stir anything here just a interesting response from cobb. I emailed them about the lack of features and were they planning anything in the near future or should I move to ECUTEK.

Anyway here is [email protected]'s

Tim (COBB Support)
Apr 04 10:46 AM

Rob,

Just to let you know, we have now released another feature for GT-Rs.. Flex-Fuel tuning. Also contrary to popular belief, EcuTek actually does NOT offer nearly as much as shown on the forums. The vast majority of the features being claimed are done/hacked by the tuners themselves and they end up getting it to work (not working the greatest by even their own admissions) and not by EcuTek as if you were to purchase the EcuTek software, you would not get these features! So this is why it looks like we are behind because before we release anything to the public, we have to make sure everything works properly and correctly for our tuners, shops, and our customers. We even offer OTS maps that take quite a bit of time compared to EcuTek which does not offer any support or any type of maps for their customers.

I hope this clears things up a little and if there is anything else I can assist you with, please let me know. Have a nice day!

Thank you,
Tim

What do you think? Still undecided whether to make the move?

·
Premium Member
1,040 Posts
Sounds like a load of b*llocks to me!!!

Flex fuel maybe in the pipeline, but its the other features that made me jump ship!

My COBB didnt allow me to:

Have a 'pop & bang' map for showing off
Have the 'rolling boost' feature
Advanced Traction Control
Adjust my boost whilst I'm driving at the touch of a button

And probably many more featues that are not overly important to me!!!

The only thing I miss about the COBB is the fact it used to live in the glovebox so when any error codes flashed up - it was always to hand & extremely easy to use! Ecutek requires a laptop and I tried resetting an error code today and didnt find it very easy to use!!!!

Otherwise : ecutek > cobb

:D

·
Premium Member
2,519 Posts
There is an element of truth in his response, the pops and bangs and improved traction control have been developed by Litchfield not EcuTek

·
Premium Member
1,040 Posts
There is an element of truth in his response, the pops and bangs and improved traction control have been developed by Litchfield not EcuTek
I believe Litchfields developed LTC (Litchfields Traction Control) ???

I was under the impression that the phase 4 racerom has ATC - Advanced Traction Control as a feature? I could be wrong!

Anyhow, tuner hacked/developed is not really a down point! Tuners only create these features as ecutek has the ability to host them? Cobb does not!

·
Premium Member
2,041 Posts
Litchfield are an ECUTek partner and their car is used to develop the ECUTek software...It is the tweaked by them to the requirements of the individual companies like Litchfield. ..no hacking involved

That email shows Cobb off in a very bad light imho

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Firstly, I don't think COBB are going to admit to being miles behind and imply that EcuTek have effectively left them standing.

Secondly, EcuTek don't release the features, per sé. I believe EcuTek give functionality/visibility of certain areas, i.e. Wheel Speed, Oil Pressure, etc. This along with Custom Maps will then allow the tuners to set conditions. So, whilst they don't give the functionality, they allow the tuner to make up their own strategies with great control.

If you're in doubt, you just need to think why top COBB tuners like Ben Linney from GTC are moving to EcuTek, and why people are going from COBB to EcuTek, but not the other way.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Hi guys

Quick message as typing in iPhone.

Poor ecutek don't get any credit sometimes. Their dealer support is nothing short of amazing around the clock. They have owned their own r&d Gtr since 2008 which gets tested regularly. Phil @ ecutek does most of the coding, their custom maps are a masterstroke which pretty much turned the oem ecu into a better tool than some standalones. Advanced traction control is fantastic and a must but it's nothing new was done by syvecs first in the Gtr, it was very much programmers job to get wheel speeds logging so the tuner can simply set up a slip calculation and retard timing (torque) from say 0 to 50, and automatically adjust soon as the front/rear wheels stop slipping/speed variance

G- dell tablet fits nicely

·
Registered
68 Posts
Not trying to stir anything here just a interesting response from cobb. I emailed them about the lack of features and were they planning anything in the near future or should I move to ECUTEK.

Anyway here is [email protected]'s

Tim (COBB Support)
Apr 04 10:46 AM

Rob,

Just to let you know, we have now released another feature for GT-Rs.. Flex-Fuel tuning. Also contrary to popular belief, EcuTek actually does NOT offer nearly as much as shown on the forums. The vast majority of the features being claimed are done/hacked by the tuners themselves and they end up getting it to work (not working the greatest by even their own admissions) and not by EcuTek as if you were to purchase the EcuTek software, you would not get these features! So this is why it looks like we are behind because before we release anything to the public, we have to make sure everything works properly and correctly for our tuners, shops, and our customers. We even offer OTS maps that take quite a bit of time compared to EcuTek which does not offer any support or any type of maps for their customers.

I hope this clears things up a little and if there is anything else I can assist you with, please let me know. Have a nice day!

Thank you,
Tim

What do you think? Still undecided whether to make the move?
It's truly sad to see such a response from a person I have a lot of respect for, I only can guess he's feeling the pressure from the GTR community big time.

I won't bore you with the details but one of the main reasons EcuTek was late to this market is because they didn't want to release exactly what Tim @ COBB is talking about, hacked together code. Those of us that understand more of the interworkings of the ECU would argue the exact opposite in this debate - Cobb's software is full of hacks and short cuts.

Everything about EcuTek's custom code is super clean and streamlined, allows real tuners to do almost do anything we want. When we have software updates we dont have "software compatibility" issues like COBB, IMO EcuTek has raised the bar.

Unlike COBB, EcuTek is also a owner operated company.. the owners play a key role in everything that gets done. Everyone is also cool as hell.

John

·
Vendor
480 Posts
I agree with JV there, there's a lot of very in depth work to deconstruct the stock coding that COBB bypassed or simplified, EcuTek took years to do it properly and refused to release the product until it was complete. I was one of the ones pestering for years to get it after working with them for years on the Mitsubishi and Subaru platforms.
I ran COBB from day 1 on the GTR as it was the only option, but when EcuTek brought out the RR3 then it was an easy decision to get on board with the GTR platform as well.

The difference to the end user is that COBB target the end user market, the software is simple to use, accessible and as Tim pointed out, they have OTS modified maps which will get the end user 75% of the way to a full custom tune by simply purchasing an accessport and flashing a map in, no 'tuner' involvement (or cost) needed.

EcuTek is a fantastic tool, they give the tuner access to many more maps and options available, even if you don't need to adjust a certain table, they'll give you access to it just because it's there. The custom maps are a revelation and open up a great range of possibilities for us tuners to really build some cool features into the mapping on the GTRs. Hence everyone will be building their own 'custom' roms and really putting their own stamp on the tuning. BUT EcuTek is not end user orientated, it is a tool for us to use. Hence the Master tuner setup which places the onus of selling a proecu cable to a customer firmly with the tuner to support the customer and provide backup.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
So Cobb is for the end user, and doesn't require tuner mapping etc... As mine did not. Just did a few in gear pulls and uploaded the map and it was written specific to my car by Ben and I was perfectly happy with it.

Ecutek seems like a pro tuners and racer/drag set up. Something they can customise and map themselves...

So, for an average gtr owner... Cobb seems enough IMO. Less to **** up!

·
Vendor
480 Posts
So Cobb is for the end user, and doesn't require tuner mapping etc... As mine did not. Just did a few in gear pulls and uploaded the map and it was written specific to my car by Ben and I was perfectly happy with it.

Ecutek seems like a pro tuners and racer/drag set up. Something they can customise and map themselves...

So, for an average gtr owner... Cobb seems enough IMO. Less to **** up!
No, sorry, maybe I wasn't clear. COBB target the end user market so you can purchase an accessport, flash in a map and you'll go faster, no tuner involvement needed at that point. BUT the maps are obviously not individually tailored to each car so have a large margin of safety in them and they dont push them at all.
You can then have a custom tune done by a COBB pro tuner that will give you the fine tuned map and get the best from your car.

EcuTek, you don't have that first option, you have to go to a tuner and get a custom map done (or one of their 'off the shelf' stage upgrades), however if the tuner knows what he's doing, he will have more tools and options at his disposal in the EcuTek software to be able to get the best from your car PLUS will have the option to add in their own setups for boost/traction/safety etc however they feel fit using the custom maps.
In my opinion, EcuTek currently gives me better tools and will produce a better end product with the map, I've swapped quite a lot of customers to EcuTek from COBB and everyone so far has been very very happy that they made the move.

Downsides? EcuTek requires you to purchase a proECU cable and use a laptop/notebook if you want similar end user diagnostics to the COBB handset and the pops the cost of it to a similar cost to the COBB setup, but that would be the customers choice and not a necessity. If a customer requires remote diagnostics or a reflash, I can mail them a cable on loan to do a job then they can mail it back after, no issue.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
It is difficult to comment in recent detail because my work with Cobb was over a period from nearly 3 to 5 years ago, and because I was using my own CBA which remains stock except a Cobb tune, I couldn't do DBA, launch control or flex fuel. The custom maps, rolling boost and Ecutek datalogging appear impressive. I would say that there are no simplifications involved in Cobb except for how we rewrote boost control in 2009 because the factory were using a mod unfriendly boost control system. It worked then and it still does on daily drivers or cars in the 8s. There are some limitations on space in real time RAM in the CBA, and the real time system was and still is a USP, but it need not stand in the way of new features that do not need more maps in real time if you can put up with a quick engine off flash to have them. It appears Ecutek took a different route for boost and load control, but Cobb's method is properly engineered. I have no need for the extra features on my car, part of what drove my interest in the project was that I wanted solid engine management on my own car, things have moved on since, but it was no hack job.

I have respect for both companies having been involved with products or services with both and at various times on various platforms over then last 12 years or so one or other has a difference in features. Competition keeps things strong and interesting.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts