GTR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys as my engine will be installed into my car very soon it’s just sitting there with no engine in it looking pretty messy, I was considering degreasing and jet washing the engine bay. I have searched on here and seen everyone’s comments on what to cover up but as my engines out I wasn’t too sure what I need to cover up and what I didn’t as most of the important things are out??

I think I will need to cover up the alarm, bell housing, fuse box wiring for coil packs, Drive shafts (as they are disconnected) and intercooler holes? What do you guys think?

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
I'd use engine spray degreaser and lots of hot water but maybe keep the pressure washing to a minimum in case you blast paint off and careful not to bend fins on the radiator intercooler etc. with the jet... Cover or avoid anything electrical.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply I will be using Gunk engine degreaser spray and a jet wash with hot water, jetting it from a distance and avoiding the electrics and radiators and intercooler.

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
you can spray the rads with jetwash but be sensible! Make sure the jetwash is set to a fan rather than a jet and dont get to close!

hows the engine build coming along? you got any pics in the projects section or simular yet?

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi matt il keep the jet at a distance. Engine should be finished by tonight and installed into the car on Wednesday. Might be delayed if I ask for the starter motor to be rebuild/clean out?

Saving the pictures and will put up a rebuild thread once all back together.

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
i would get the starter rebuilt while its out to be honest. Its a pain in the arse if it was to pack up when back in. Mine has just started playing up so got to strip mine again to get it back out.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah it’s getting sorted before we install the engine back in, hope it won’t delay the install.

where do you stand with yours matt?

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
Waiting on a silenced decat, japspeed have been out of stock for a few months now :(

Also need to finish spraying the underside of the car and get the fit/shim the cams.

I have run out of room at the unit so have had to move it to my parents garage until after christmas then i will drop it back up the unit to carry on with it.

Its all running and driving tho. Still needs mapping also.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
A few month wait on the de-cat seams long. Not too much to do until your happy with it, once your done it will be all worth it, well that’s what I keep telling myself.

By the way my standard turbos where fine, but we still fitted the 2860-5’s

Once i have run the engine in, will do all the power upgrades

700 injectors
Bosch 044 pump
Nismo FPR
Replace MAFS with piping
Links or Vi-Pec ECU with MAP sensor
Accusump

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just a update used the Gunk engine degreaser, a paint brush and a jet wash and it removed most of the crap, didn’t really leave a shine as the engine bays a matt finish. Should of probably used a product that gave it more of a shine would of looked nice but will most likely do it again now the engine is back in.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
only thing worth doing when the engine is out is spraying the whole bay, disconnecting everything of course

when the engine is back in then its worth tidying up

I cleaned my bay when the engine was out, when the engine went back in it just went dirty again, fluids everywhere, oils etc so I think its just best when the engine is in and work around it cleaning it and stuff, could be just me though

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I guess it could be worst it got rid of the muck but it’s dirty again. I want it spotless like some of them gorgeous engine bays I’ve seen on here. Il get it like that one day.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
I guess it could be worst it got rid of the muck but it’s dirty again. I want it spotless like some of them gorgeous engine bays I’ve seen on here. Il get it like that one day.
I think if you transport your car everywhere on a trailier and never drive it in anything but glorious sunshine and treat it like a show car, that is the only way its going to stay clean lol!

The way I see it, if the engine bay doesnt have a bit of this and a bit of that on it, then your not driving it properly (either that or your mechanic is a messy guy)!:D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts