GTR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If cost was not an issue, which combination would you guys recommend?

Stock 2.6
Stroked 2.7
Stroked 2.8
N1 block
Stroked 3.0

What is the max RPM each of the above can sustain?

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Size

I would go for 2.8 litre kit or 3.0 litre.

The N1 engine still has cast pistons, which although better than stock are not as good as forged ones for ultimate power.

The 2.7 or 2.8 kit will rev very high, the OSG 3.0 will not rev as high as it has a much longer stroke.

Guy

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So many choices. :confused: :p :D But I love it. How is the power with your 2.8L? Which brand did you get?

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
IMHO, the answer depends entirely on the use of the car. Assuming all other supporting mods are in place:

(1) If its going to be a circuit car then greater displacement is the way to go as you get all important torque. Hence the OS 3.0ltr kit would be ideal. Obviously, you'll lose the ability to rev high with this approach but that will be less important given the size of the turbos you would match to a circuit car.

(2) If its going to be a drag car then just stick with an N1 block and standard displacement but uprate all the internals to billet/forged items. You can then rev high and make use of the air flow afforded by huge turbos. An analysis of the specs on the RH9 car engines should support this as many of them displace less than 2.7ltrs.

Cya O!

·
Registered
78 Posts
OS Giken & revs

Correct me if I'm wrong but I remember reading a post by R777MTD (the guy with the OS Giken kit). He mentioned his engine had a maximum rpm of 9,000 or even 9,500 revs.

Seems high enough for me!

MDG.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
In an article from one of the issues of GT-R Magazine the OS Giken kit has been tested to sustain 9,400rpm. However, Saurus (a tuning house that promotes the OS kit heavily and has worked with OS in testing turbo kits on it) recommends a maximum operating rpm of 8,500 rpm.

As Guy said, 10,000+ is possible on the 2.6 ltr dimensions. Veilside is a good example where they spin their rb26 in the R34 street drag car to 11,000+ rpms regularly. After all the 3240s like that sort of flow.

Cya O!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How high can the 2.7 rev up to? How about the 2.8?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Not sure about the maximum revs of a 2.7 but according to the figures in the Technical section a 400R (with 2.8 litre engine) is red lined at 10,000rpm.

MDG

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Sorry, I don't have any authoritative numbers on the max revs the 2.8 and 2.7 kits can sustain. However, what I do know is that HKS shift their drag cars (R33 and 180SX) around 9,500 rpm (using their 2.8 kit), and make peak power just over 9,000rpm with the huge turbos they run. This shift point also tends to apply with other tuners that use the 2.8 kit in their drag cars.

With 2.7 kits (eg. Trust, JUN, etc.) there is evidence of RH9 cars taking the engine to 10,000rpm. However, this appears to be the upper end. Tuners with shift points at 10,000rpm or later tend to keep their displacement below 2.7 litres (eg. stock stroke with a 1mm overbore piston).

Apologies if I'm not exact with the numbers as I'm going from memory based on articles in the Japanese mags.

Cya O!

·
Registered
597 Posts
Hi

I've been offered an RB28 block that is apparantly a stock Nissan unit and not a stroked 2.6, does anyone know anything about it and is it better to use this for tuning than an N1 block?

Also is it a direct replacement for a normal block i.e. can i use all the parts available from a standard engine?

Cheers

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Not sure. The only thing I know about the factory Nissan 2.8 is that it's used in the turbo-diesal Patrol 4x4. Not sure if that's built for high power. Sorry can't be of more help.

If you want to increase displacement with factory items, it's far more common to to use the RB30 bottom end from a Holden VL Commodore (sold in Australia) and mate it to an RB26 head. I understand this is a proven combination and the fitment is not too complicated. Finding uprated internal parts are also easier.

Cya O!

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
V1H I would have thought that the N1 blocks still the stronger of the two (I haven't heard of an off the shelf Nissan 2.8 with full tuning potenial) The N1 block is still used for the enduro series in japan. I am certainly happy with my choice since my stock engine was discovered to be porous after the previous owner had fried it!

I am still only at the early stages of tuning it but the results I am getting with the Reimax turbos at just 1 bar look promising for the future mapping and boost increase.

..Ian

·
Registered
994 Posts
I`ve got an N1 block and HKS 2.8 kit:)
:smokin: Gary :smokin: built it for me at GT-ART.

·
Registered
994 Posts
:smokin: Gary :smokin: Gary :smokin:

I have seen that happy smile with the B&H and sunglasses before?Have you?

Brilliant result with those monster 28/35`s on Saturday at Dyno Day,well done mate.

Henry.

·
Registered
15 Posts
In one of our GTR we are using forged 87mm pistons. This will only make it 2.65L or so. Turns out for us that these pistons were easier to get and cheaper than new cast ones..

:smokin:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts