GTR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my car out yesterday..........rev it till 9000rpm and shift.......at 1.1bar.
(stock engine, stock cam, mine's ecu red line at 8250rpm...)

When i parked the car............smoke coming out from the engine compartment......water temp is at its peak.......oil temp no change..........then took it to the garage.......

mechanic said all all the water drained out due to one of the cylinder bottom "cover" is broken and i keep driving the the car for 15 min. without noticing it........and caused overheat.........

my car is now sitting in the garage.......mechanic is checking if the head gasget is burnt...........what else can be "damaged"???

any opinions??

michael.:(

·
Registered
9,034 Posts
Michael,

Bad luck but what do you expect...? Rev a stock engine to 9k and you're asking for trouble. Some of the big Japanese tuners recommend that 7.5k is the maximum for a stock engine to give a reasonable lifespan.

I really hope that it isn't as bad as it sounds. :(

Peter.

·
Registered
997 Posts
A cracked block is the worst it could be.Could be a head gasket or a mountain of other things.

Be lucky,
Henry:( :( :(

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Sorry to hear the news. Sounds a lot like a cracked head gasket. Better watch those revs next time.

Cya O!

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
What is a cylinder bottom "cover"?

The RB26DETT is a strong engine, but 9k:confused:

I hope its only the head gasket.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Over Reving

Is there any electronic device to stop over reving the engine?

Can it be program into the standard ecu?

As the GTR engine reved up so quickly, it will useful to have a device that will help the driver so that he can just concentrate on driving the car fast.

I suppose a shift light will help.

Any suggestion?

Peter m

·
Registered
9,034 Posts
Hi Peter,

AFAIK, all stock and after market ecus have a rev limiter built in. If it is set correctly, I can't understand how this sort of situation should arise, unless it is set very high to start with. Have to say that I get a sort of kick when hitting the rev limiter on mine, which is set at 7.5k btw, sad I know!

Peter.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
How is the rev limiter set up on the GTR? How does it work?

On my Stang I have an aftermarket ignition system, that will cycle the spark to every other cylinder, so 1357 will get the spark, then 2468 will get the spark, and so on until you drop your revs. This way you do not flood your cylinder with gas. Flooding with gas is very bad, for a number of reasons.

Tony

1 - 9 of 9 Posts