GTR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys/Lassies,
Does anyone know the best method of cleaning a filthy Engine compartment. I am a bit wary as I don't want to mess up the electrics. Is steam cleaning better than jet washing?. also is Gunk or similar a good method of cleaning. Any ideas will be welcome.
I really must get this done, as I don't think the engine has ever been cleaned in 13 years!!!.

PaulP.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Take the car out for a spin, then leave it an hour or so. The engine should be warm (not hot). Spray the gunk on the dirty parts, leave for a few minutes to soak, spray some more on and then use a paint brush on any areas that are really dirty to free up the grease.

Rinse off by using as little water as possible, but make sure all the gunk is off, then run the engine until the engine is dry.

As long as you clean the engine at least once a month after doing this you shouldn't need to use gunk anymore, just a damp cloth.

Hope this helps - Laurence.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cleaning

Laurence,
Thanks for that, will do as you suggested. will let you know if I come to a grinding holt!!!!.

PaulP.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Well it works a treat for my mums 200SX, but then that car never really sees much boost so it's not much of a test. :D

·
Registered
637 Posts
I've also found that washing powder dissolved in a bucket of warm water is very effective at getting rid of built-up crap. Use one of those small sponges then rinse off. To put a shine on plastic bits and hoses I use tyre-shine (clear).

john

·
Registered
515 Posts
Granville engine de-greaser

I used the above with the brush you get in a wonder wheels package. Drove the car for 10 minutes. Left it 30 minutes, then washed the engine bay with a sponge and some car shampoo. Then brushed on the granville into the dirty places, left for a few minutes then rinsed off with cold water. Ran the engine again to dry it. Then I used back to black on the plastic bits and radiator hoses etc. Then used some cheap car polish on the strut tops and firewall and polised with a dremmel polishing mop attachment. Looked lovely for a few weeks. Now it's dirty again! ARSE

James

1 - 6 of 6 Posts