GTR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Im looking at doing an engine and transmission conversion on a different car (not a skyline) from standard inline rwd setup to 4x4 using an RB26DETT engine and transmission.

I realise the amount of work i have to put in, this is no problem as i have done an engine conversion before. But with never working on a skyline i have no idea what other parts i will require for this setup

so i have just a few questions

1. Is the front diff part of the engine sump or is it mounted on a sub frame.

2. Are the diffs electronicaly controlled or would i get away with using my original rear diff off the car which can handle the power.

3 Does anyone know where i could get the complete standard or close to standard engine, transmission and wiring diagrams from, ive had a search over the net for these things and couldnt seam to come across anything

4 Is the transfer box part of the gearbox

at the moment i know that i will need;

complete engine
transmission.
engine ecu
wiring diagrams
front diff
rear diff
front hub and strut assemblys

idealy i would be looking for a write off complete car that i can use as a doner car.

any help would be greatful on this

Cheers
Eddie

·
Registered
374 Posts
Hi all

Im looking at doing an engine and transmission conversion on a different car (not a skyline) from standard inline rwd setup to 4x4 using an RB26DETT engine and transmission.

I realise the amount of work i have to put in, this is no problem as i have done an engine conversion before. But with never working on a skyline i have no idea what other parts i will require for this setup

so i have just a few questions

1. Is the front diff part of the engine sump or is it mounted on a sub frame.

2. Are the diffs electronicaly controlled or would i get away with using my original rear diff off the car which can handle the power.

3 Does anyone know where i could get the complete standard or close to standard engine, transmission and wiring diagrams from, ive had a search over the net for these things and couldnt seam to come across anything

4 Is the transfer box part of the gearbox

at the moment i know that i will need;

complete engine
transmission.
engine ecu
wiring diagrams
front diff
rear diff
front hub and strut assemblys

idealy i would be looking for a write off complete car that i can use as a doner car.

any help would be greatful on this

Cheers
Eddie

1. The front diff is housed in the sump so it goes with the engine. If you dont want a front diff ie rear wheel drive only you can fit an RB25 sump if thats your goal.

2. The front diff is a normal plated diff- no electronics
The rear diff is also plated but if a v-spec diff is used it is hydraulic so the pump and pipes etc would be needed (plus the electronic control parts for that including g sensors).

3. The transfer case is part of the gearbox but it can unbolt- not sure how simple this is to blank off though. The centre diff is hydraulic and only comes in when needed ie hard acceleration or wheel speed differences from from front/rear.

Do you intend making your car 4wd or 2? If 4 i would use the Nissan diffs if only to keep the ratios the same.
If you only want 2wd i would buy the running gear from a GTST with an RB25 in it.
What are your power goals?
What car are you putting this lot in- sounds good :smokin:

Tony

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers Tony.

Thanks a great help and just what i was looking for. i thought the drive train was more complex than that. it make the conversion more simple to get going and less problems in the future.

im going to be putting it in a z32 300zx. this is why i will be looking for a rb26 engine rather than the rb25 as its not going to be a step forward from the engine i will be removing. but my main goal is to convert it to 4x4.

Eddie

1 - 4 of 4 Posts