GTR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need your help urgently!!!

When i purchased my car, the paint on the centre plug cover was flaking. So i got it repainted after getting my preferred bodyshop to match the colour.

It came back from the bodyshop, and it was still not an exact match. This week, I took it to my local paint supplier, who scanned the rocker cover, and gave me the paint that matched it as close as possible.

Went to bodyshop to be sprayed up, came back and still no good.

Now having seen pics of other R34 Engine covers (i.e. Red finish), i can see that the centre plate is not an exact match, unless all the pics i have, have had their centre plates painted!!!!

So now my question; does anyone know the correct terminology, i.e. finish used by Nismo, and for that matter Mines on their S/R/Z Tune or stage 2engines?

And secondly can anyone recommend someone who can carry out this job. I've had enough, so hence am looking at sending off the rocker covers, and centre plate to get this finish done.

Your help will be much appreciated. And thanking you in advance

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Virdee,
I don't know who can do it for you in the UK but the Nismo engine finish is a powder coat process.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Virdee mate, there´s no secret to get the kind of paint that´s on the nismo engines. (Not saying Bean´s wrong here, just saying there are other methods to get the same result) Your paintshop should be able to do it for you. It´s a special extra part that they add to any normal paint that gives it that "rough" surface. I´ve done it on my R33 and it came out like this:

Sorry that the surface isn´t that visible in this pic but it´s "rough" like it´s not been sanded if you know what I mean.

/P

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Perra, thanks for the reply

Is it possible for you to find out what this process is called?

Bean; thanks again, yes powder coating sounds good, but it seems like there is 2 different powder coating processes, as one comes out like normal paint, and the other textured, like Nismo stuff

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Virdee, they just mix another component into the regular paint and then they paint it as usual. You can get ANY colour you want. :) :cool:
Just ask your painter if he can do that "wrinkle" paint.

I know for a fact you can even buy the paint in spraycans in the UK. I was actually going to do the job myself before I spoke to my painter and he said he could do it. Here´s one company that sells it:
http://www.nfauto.co.uk/wrinkle_paint_chrome.htm

/P

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Dont know the english name for it, but when i worked in Denmark as an epoxy painter we used alot of that. Its called "Hammer texture" it is a dry powder that stick the the surface from positive charge(the paint+paint gun) to the item that is negative charged.(Fusion Bond Epoxy coating) If it is not a metal the powder dont stick to it. then it goes in to an oven 200-300Celcius for about 30min, then cooled for about 10min.

I think Jotun make the spray cans too.

Regards
Jan

·
Hawaii-5-0
1,817 Posts
That's called powder coating, as Bean said :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts