GTR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys I'm looking for an engine for my r32 gtr what is the differences between 32/33/34?
I'm looking to source and fit the 6 speed box out of an r34 too

It's a long term project so no rush to source anything till I know

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
Not a huge amount of difference between them. The main differences:

-Early R32 had a short oil pump drive on the crank, later cars towards the end of production had a longer drive

-R33/34 have long oil pump drives as standard

-R34 has ball bearing turbos

-R34 CAS is different and the cams are slightly different too I believe

-R34 doesn't have an ignition amp to drive the coil packs (same as Spec 2 R33 Gtst)

I'm sure there's other bits that are different or got updated along the way, but that's the main ones

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So it would be better for me to take the r33 engine r34 6 speed box and have that combination in my r32?
Instead of spending out more on an r34 engine or buying an r32 engine with the lesser oil pump drives
Turbos I want to uprate anyway

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
It's probably the route I'd take. I've never done an engine swap so there may be a few other bits to consider but I guess they'd be pretty minor

On a side note, I wouldn't pay extra for an R34 engine as essentially its still exactly the same as an R32/R33

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok thanks I had a look on here and there isn't much to do to fit the r34 gearbox in the 32 is there a specific list of parts I need to make or get hold of?

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
putting a getrag in a 32 sure maes is lively but it isn't very cost effective... and top speed decreases thus motorway cruising rpm rises a smige to ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts