GTR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I'm about to import a skyline to sweden, but before i settle for a gts-t i wan't to know what differs the RB26DETT from the RB25DET.

Is it just the heads?
Will pistons/rods etc from a 26dett fit a 25det?

if i want to swap a rb25det to a 26dett, how much work am i looking forward to in that case?

thanks

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
If you want to go from a RB25DET to a RB26DETT its simple... just buy a complete RB26DETT. It will definitely be the cheapest way as they are two very different engines in factory form.

Cya O!

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
Sorry but how many times do we need to answer this !! Do a search, 2nd last icon under the adverts on the top left of the screen, for RB25DET and RB26DETT. The answer has been covered loads of times before :eek:

To swap a RB26DETT for a RB25DET you'll need to modify the sump pan from the RB25DET to fit the RB25DETT, as the RB26DETT incorporates the front diff in the sump.

The pistons, I think are the same (dia. is definately the same), but there is nothing to gain from sawpping the RB26DETT head on to the RB25DET bottom end. The RB25DET head flows well enough for what it is.

·
Registered
476 Posts
The thing is that I may need to fit a RB25DET head onto a RB26DETT engine for registration purposes here, and then swap back after it passed the registration.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
hi

Why not just swap front timing cover ??? as think they are they same ?? although inlet plenum is different just say its got custom plenum on

lee

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
Just not feasible to swap the head for registration purposes........You'd need the turbos, intercooler, exhaust manifold and all the associated piping. Not to mention some sort of ECU to run it.

What is the problem with the RB26 that you can't register it with this fitted ?

·
Registered
476 Posts
Well, my main goal is to get a R33 GTR, but there is a chance that my budget won't my enough for that. In that case I'm going for a GTS with a GTR engine which is a lot cheaper. BUT, the car needs to be standard to register here, so I need to have it look something like the GTS engine.
I don't think the guys at the registration knows that much about the engines though, but too much to even try to register it with a "plain" GTR engine.

Anyways, I will probably go for the GTR all together, but I'm sure the thread starter is having similar issues, so the answers will be appreciated from both of us.

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
Thomas, (That is your name yeah ?)

The RB25DET is pushing 250bhp and tuneable to 400bhp, this is plenty in a RWD chassis why do you want the RB26DETT engine ?

it may be feasible to swap the rocker covers between the RB25DET and the RB26DETT, but any other swaps are simply not viable for the purpose of registration.

The layout of the engine bay for starters is different. Why not have a look in the Members Gallery and see if you can find engine bay photos of the RB26DETT and RB25DET, you'll notice a whole load of differences.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
and i just want to know if the engine internals from rb26dett fits rb25det, since there are not very much tuning parts for the 25. =/

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
Eric,
There are loads of tuning parts available for the RB25DET, any of the tuners on this board will be able to help and advise you on a suitable path to more power.

Try Abbey Motorsport or Rod Bell Motorsport for a start, their details can be found in the links section of this site.

Thomas,
WOW, 600bhp in the GTS must be really mad on the road !! :eek:
The only feasible way to get make this look like a RB25DET would be to change the rocker covers and remove the cam gear cover. Anything else is just not feasible.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
you can change rocker covers, heads etc... but theres no getting away from the fact that the RB25DET only has one tubo... and the RB26DETT has two... this to me is the biggest dirrerence... :) if the guy doing the reg check notices the rocker cover is wrong, chances are he will probably know about the number of turbos the car is supposed to have...

oh... and if the RB26DETT has been tuned to 600hp... its going to look far from standard!!! even to the untrained eye... and the guys that check cars for compliance are usually a) Jobswoths, and b) pretty clued up...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
excuse me for beeing so retarder, but all engine internals from a 26 WILL fit straight into a 25?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts