GTR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The engine in my 33 is having trouble idling. It is very lumpy and idles at 1000, then 1400, then 600 etc etc. When it is reved gently then is a bit juddery. When the engine is cold you can hear a chuffing noise from the rear of the engine from the turbo region. Could it be a hole in some pipe work? or a gasket problem or something else. Turbo related??

Also when driving in a high gear and gently acclerate so the boost guage goes from -7 to around 0 the car goes really lumpy/slightly juddery then stops when the boost guage goes to +3 onwards.

I have had a compression test. One cylinder was slightly low on idle, but they all level out with more revs. Plugs are ok. Car pops loads too(more than normal).

Cheers

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
My idle was all over the place - needed the inlet gaskets changing. Mark (Abbey's) diagnosed it using a crap sound recording from my mobile phone ! he was spot on too ! lol !

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you have similiar sounds from the turbo region(like a chuffing noise)

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
Can't say I can recall hearing anything like that (but then mine is too loud to hear much anyway :D ).

I'm sure someone more techy would be able to give you better input than I can ...

Mark diagnosed mine over the phone and it was confirmed when I took up to Abbey's the folllowing weekend. My advice - take it to someone who knows more about them and get them to diagnose it out for you.

·
Registered
4,892 Posts
Sounds like an air leak on the intake. Mine did the same with a leaking atmospheric BOV, but leaking gaskets would be possible too :) Have you tried pressurising the intake system to find any leaks?

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
I think brake cleaner (or something anyway) was sprayed onto the inlet of mine and it made the revs pick right up - thus highlighting that the gaskets had gone. I think I read that someone done the same test with WD40 recently ?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am hoping it may be a leak cos before i though it might have been something inside the engine.

If its gasket then shouldnt cause too much trouble. Going to get it looked at soon, so hopefully get it sorted.

cheers

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
lol, so true

what exacly do you mewan by "compression low on idle"?, the engine isnt supposed to be run during a compression test (all plugs should be removed)

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ooo no wont be doing the work myself. going to let a garage have for a few days.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts