GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving the car last night in RRR mode and it was running perfect. Get home and stop outside my garage to engage reverse so i could back it in and touch the accelerator and there is no drive, so i thought perhaps it is in neutral to stick it in park and engage reverse again tap the throttle, the car then lights up the dashboard with Engine Malfunction warning light and Transmission Malfuction warning lights, it therefore disengages from RRR to NRR and on the dashboard it flashed transmission picture but that then disappeared and it just lights the exlamation mark as well as the CEL. I manage to back the car into the garage.

This morning went and started it up and again the CEL is still lit and on the dash computer after it does it's checks it says transmission is fine, oil level fine and then flashes up with Engine Malfunction Visit HPC. In the owners manual it mentions that a few short drives can resolve a permant lit CEL so I nudge the car out of the garage and it drives forward with no problems, go to check reverse and the same thing happens as last night. Again i drive it forward with no issues and then engage reverse once more and it works fine. However the CEL is still on so Monday morning i guess Middlehurst are going to have to send a flat bed down to pick it up and sort this issue out.

Very disappointing but i guess these things happen and it's better to catch them early on! Anyone else had a CEL or Engine Malfuction and Transmission Malfunction warning lights come on?

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
If you know anyone nearby with an Accessport you can read out the fault codes (no need to flash the ECU to do this). Without those people are only guessing.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Anyone in Central/North London area with a COBB then? :p

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Phonecall made to Middlehurst this morning and instruction given to RAC to come pick the car up, was with me within the hour and already en route back up norf. However replacement vehicle......either a Mondeo or Vectra estate car!!!

Hope to get the GTR back shortly

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bit of an update, had a call back from Gary at MH to say they beleive it to be a solenoid problem, however the GTR boffins are there tomorrow so he'll get them to have a look over it all and he thinks they will want to take the gearbox for further diagnosis and trials etc. so more than likely a new transmission will be the remedy....

However he will confirm that by 5pm tomorrow and once that new part has been sourced and delivered apparently its an 8-10 hour job to install!

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
That sounds strange that a TM issue should pop up as engine malfunction on dash, it would say Transmission and u should loose gears. but who knows, your in safe hands with Gazmo.

seems unfair that some of us hammer these cars without issue, yet others inc those living in London areas don't get to use to full potential and this happens.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
David, the data log should be clean as a whistle no events that would constitute them to deny repairs that i am aware of so no concern on that front.

Ben, spoke to Gary about this today as he was puzzled by this also. When it actually went cuckoo it flashed up T/M Malfunction first and the transmission switch popped out of R mode to normal mode, then it instantly popped up as Engine Malfunction and stayed this way with the CEL and the exclamation mark lit up. When it happened i lost reverse and 1st gear, then shifted the stick to Park and it gave me reverse. Next day it gave me 1st but then wouldn't give me reverse and a few minutes later it had no problem giving the full selection as you would expect.....maybe this car thinks too much for it's own good?

·
Registered
300 Posts
crap

you even could be the first EDM ...

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Think it may be the first EDM pretty sure its the first UK one

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
I've had the 'transmission/clutch overheat' warning come on.

I was driving a French Route Nationale (single lane each-way A-Road equivalent) and went to overtake a truck. I paddled it down several gears then nailed it. Partway through the overtake, it cut the power massively and the warning came on. There was a car heading towards me and I was lucky that I had enough momentum to complete the overtake, as the car would not allow me to accelerate any more.

I pulled off the road immediately, let the car idle for about 10 seconds, then switched it off and on again. The warning cleared and I've never had it again.

What really bothered me was the unexpected and sudden loss of all acceleration. If the overtake had been one that I had judged based on requiring the full acceleration of the car (we were doing about 40mph in 2nd gear prior to overtaking) then I could have had an bad accident. Imagine my feeling at being alongside a articulated lorry, accelerating past and having all power cut. Really freaked me out.

I spoke to my HPC and they simply said 'let us know if it does it again'!

Now I find myself worrying when I contemplate an overtake that the car will suddenly cut power..........

·
Registered
669 Posts
Sounds like you got a boost cut, usually ascociated with a car overboosting on a gear change. However I have only heard of this happening on tuned cars, particularily some of the early tuning when people were a bit ambitious with the boost levels.

I assume your car is standard? Did this happen on the 2nd to 3rd gear change or mid gear, what fuel were you running? Did the garage check for any fault codes?

Actually what I have just said could be a load of old rubbish, have read your post again and see that you got a 'transmission/clutch overheat' warning, so presumably that caused the cut in power? Supprised if the garage did not check for fault codes?

Rich

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I was wondering the same Rich - about Guy's report.

The stock boost cut is at 110kPa, about 29kPa above the midrange boost target. However, even when stock I saw some impressive boost spikes (and mine on Cobb maps had much less spiking than some other cars suggesting some are friskier still), and if you caught it in the right circumstances and briefly breached 110kPa I believe it would cut and do what you describe, although I've not witnessed it personally and noted which exact lights come on and I suspect you just wanted to get to safety and clear it asap!

See the lower left of the four graphs from a stock car. I see about 98kPa at 4200 RPM and this was just a brief test with a few pulls through a gear. What I see from some cars on staged maps leads me to believe that some in the right circumstances may well be able to hit overboost fuel cut (on stock maps), although we're not hearing too many report in the forums I think it is a bit close for comfort, or rather the stock boost control can encourage these spikes. Oddly for the GTR, they seem to be more pronounced in lower gears, whereas other cars tend to overboost cut in top gear. There is some gear compensation going on with the boost control I think.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
My car is completely standard. The reason I bought a UK R35 was to get and maintain the warranty. I tuned the hell out of my other GTRs (R32,R33 and R34) and got fed up of buying new parts/engine rebuilds.

It was not a boost-cut, it cut all power and restricted revs to about 2,000rpm and showed 'trans/clutch overheat' on the dash.

My HPC was not interested in looking at the car or diagnosing a fault, just said 'let us know if it happens again'. I informed them in writing via email in case this proves to be an issue later-on.

This is one reason I have so little faith in my HPC and why my car is going somewhere else where they have some proper experience of the car, not just oil-changes on Micras. They were perfectly happy to ignore a potentially dangerous problem and not even interested in running a diagnosis to see what faults it had. This is not acceptable IMHO.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Guy

So that the rest of us can know which HPC lacked interest in their customers safety, are you willing to name them please?

Your experience would have had me requiring new underwear!

D

·
Premium Member
5,031 Posts
The only time I had the "transmission/clutch overheat" warning come up was when I half-heartedly tried to do a launch start and wasn't pressing the brake pedal all the way to the floor. The clutch really doesn't like that!

But a switch off and momentary cool down was all it took to clear it.

As for it happening whilst already moving, were you doing lots of sliding about with VDC off Guy? I imagine not, but I've heard of other overheating incidents where drifting/donuts were involved.

·
Registered
669 Posts
My best "guess" would be that after the dropping a couple of gears & boot it excercise :) that the clutch slipped and through an overheat warning?

Have you had the optiisation service, and did they adjust the touch point / capacities? I agree take it to someone who shows a bit more interest, get the fault codes checked out, and also get them to check the clutch settings.

Rich

1 - 20 of 42 Posts