GTR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I have to Ask all R34 Owners a Question, after owning my R34 for just over two weeks i have noticed a engine noise when the turbo timer switches off the engine, not only my car but also a friend who also got his
R34 it seems to be like a main end bearing knock but its more like a clack clack clack that slows down as the engine dies down and the momentum slows down inside ? is this normal for R34 Rb26 engines please R34 owners help experiment and let me know if you get this as wel i feel its normal but will only know once you guys have tested or noticed the same noise just after a switch off as the crank shaft slows down spinning ?

·
Registered
7,624 Posts
Hey there.

It's probably the gearbox or the tubbies depending on the sound. Record it and post it up :)

3,665 Posts
could be the dual mass flywheel , or of the car has a twin plate clutch it is the Getrag box that makes the noise, this is normal thou

·
Banned
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies that explains

What is a Dual mass flywheel ?
Though that sound is consitent with the clutch area so certainly that is the root of the noise problem is for the first few times its scary you think its your big ends or mains but the engine runs properly so you think again and thats why i posted my questions ?
Thanks again Abbey M/S

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have that clickety clack sound as well when i turn off the car.

Its just when the car dies and the engine does a short shudder which makes that clickety clack sounds and it comes from the gearbox. The thing is ive heard it on almost every 34 GTR i come across but not on 33's..

Dont know why.. When you sometimes almost accidentally stall the car and the window is open, you'll hear it as well..

Good to know its normal at least.. Hehe.. :)

·
Registered
552 Posts
It is most probably your twin plate clutch!

A dual mass fly wheel is a fly wheel that is fitted with weights that under centrifugal force are thrown out load, when the speed of rotation over comes the retaining springs force to increase the mass inertia of the fly wheel while keeping the weight down at low revs so increasing the engine ability to rev more freely. The same flywheel is fitted to the E39 M5! So the clatering is the weight re setting them selve often happens when there is a lot of dust floating around the bell housing it all becomes a bit sticky.

·
Registered
715 Posts
^^^^ I don't think you understand a dual mass flywheel on a Nissan^^^^

And I didn't think the R34 had one fitted, but I have been wrong before!!!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts