GTR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past month my R34 GTR v-spec is having engine problems. At any time during driving the engine will start to chug as if only half the cylinders are working - then suddenly everything will be OK. Any thoughts anyone - something to do with the EMU? there are no warning lights on the dash.

·
Super Moderator
15,843 Posts
Horribly familiar - I've had this problem on and off for 3 months. So far I've changed the plugs, coils (to new splitfires) and AFMs and it still does it! I've booked it in for a proper diagnosis now (at TR Racing) so I hope it's coming to an end!

Do you find if you lift off the gas and drop a gear you can clear it?

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
TOMIMR2 is yours a v spec to im wondering if this is something i should keep an eye on if mine dose it , would love to know what it is tho . mine to is going into tr soon :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's very difficult to clear sometimes and can last for as long as 5 or so minutes. Sometimes the car starts up like that and sometimes it jumps in at motorway speeds. it just goes away on its own most of the time but I agree it can sometimes be cured by dropping a gear and building the revs.

·
Super Moderator
15,843 Posts
Yes mine is a v-spec Chris.

Sounds like we have the same problem chap. I'm booked in for 21st September (who said they could have a holiday :chuckle:) but I also find it is intermittant. Sometimes the car is completely fine.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Would you let us know if the problem is found. If they cure it I'll run mine round there as well.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
What ECU is it running? I had a similar fault and I have a Tomei Reytec airflowless ECU. Turned out to be a faulty map sensor. No problems since.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well it's an official UK version bought from Middlehurst - so I'm guessing that it is the correct one - though it is something that I have suspected as the engine mistiming is so random.

·
Super Moderator
15,843 Posts
Mine is also a UK Middlehurst car on the standard ECU (Stage 1 tweeked though). God I hope it's not that.:nervous: Map sensor sounds interesting.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Toni

Did you have your problem resolved at TR Racing. I have the red UK GTR Vspec with what sounds like the same problem as yours.

Cheers Pete

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
ignition system. I had somewhat similar problems on my R32, and eventually sorted them by taking the sledgehammer approach - new coils, switch to surface-gap plugs, earthing kit, HKS DLI ignition amp....

·
Super Moderator
15,843 Posts
Have had a couple of PMs about this asking what it was! Just to say I had to move my slot at TR Racing due to family reasons.:( I'm re-booked in 8th October to look at this problem.
T

·
Super Moderator
15,843 Posts
On my car it's turned out to be the Lambda sensors guys....!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts