GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!
I have a skyline gtr r33 which has developed a weired knocking from the engine lost all boost pressure and throwing out blue smoke.... it all started after having the manifold gaskets changed last week... the car drove fine coming back from the garage. the next day fired it up and everything was fine went for a spin in it and all of a sudden der woz a loud noise like something breaking on the engine and it started rattling like mad... turned the car off fired it back up and the knocking had stoppped... but as i drove off i realised there woz no boost and the car was really struggling after 3000rpm it just doesnt want to know there is no boost whats so ever and after 3000rpm its letting loads of blue smoke out. now when you start the car up and rev it sometimes it will knock and sometimes it wont...
what do you guy think is wrong...
help much appreciated...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
havent checked anything on the car yet mate still trying to get around to it.... however the sound of the car has definently changed it sounds like its blowing when you rev it ..... but if id had broken an exhaust wheel would the wheel not have gone out of the exhaust and not in to the engine if that is whats causing the knocking coming from the engine...

·
Registered
4,821 Posts
it can go either way....

compression test first as there is oil getting burned - better still a leak down.

Just out of curiosity though i'd take of the induction pipe work and spin both turbo inlet wheels... you'll feel it if the shaft is broken 'free'

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
compression test has been done got a friend to do that the other day and it was 150 in all cylinders... will check the turbo shafts tomorow...

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
At least you have compression in all 6 cylinders, as Adam suggests, check the turbo wheels and see if all the intercooler pipes are still on. You may also have blown the oil seals on the turbos, hence the blue smoke.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
have tried to get around today to checking the ehaust wheels but only got around to taking pipes off... decided to chech the turbo pipes for any oil in them but there is nothing... if the exhaust wheel is broken it surely would not cause blue smoke or would it???

·
Registered
276 Posts
Is it definitely blue smoke??

When I lost the exhaust wheel on my last 33 it would chuck out huge amounts of black smoke due to being exceedingly rich because the ecu is expecting a lot more air going into the engine than actually is.

·
Registered
4,821 Posts
have tried to get around today to checking the ehaust wheels but only got around to taking pipes off... decided to chech the turbo pipes for any oil in them but there is nothing... if the exhaust wheel is broken it surely would not cause blue smoke or would it???

it would if seals are damaged

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
do you fink it will be a difficult job to get the bits out of the engine if it is the exhaust wheel that has broken and been sucked in...

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Depends if you're able to remove, strip, rebuild, then refit the engine. What you might have trouble with is getting over the cost to replace all the damaged parts if the wheel did get eaten by the engine.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well hopefully il get around to checking the turbo wheels in the morning if that is the case then its going to have to be an engine out job strip down and rebuild....

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i have a set of recon'd turbos so thats not a problem its jus the matter of getting the bits out of the engine that are causing it to rattle....

1 - 20 of 44 Posts