GTR Forum banner

Engine re-build

3K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  goghat 
#1 ·
Hello,

So im about to buy my first R33 - GTR might be v-spec or might not. I was wondering do they need an engine re-build at 80,000 miles or is that so bull I heard?

Your help would be greatful, oh and the engine in all three ( one GTR v-spec and other two GTR's) ive viewed are standard with only having exhaust swaped and air filter.

Sorry if this maybe have been ask ten million times.

#3 ·
it should be ok, but it all depends on what kind of life its had. if its been abused as in run on low oil or cheap oils been used and not changed regular then it may die, but tbh i think its alot about luck. you could buy a minter that just goes wrong.

i bought a car with a fresh rebuild, had a new N1 oil pump which just stopped working :( where as i know someone with a 33 that goes to the ring, gets taken for long hacks and is on stock lump and no probs to date (touching wood here lol)

#4 · (Edited)
not unless its not been maintained well, oil changes every 3000 miles,
have the car start from cold, so you can check for smoke,white or blue,
let the car get to full running temp ,should have min 2.5bar oil pressure rev the car to to 4000 rpm should have oil pressure 3-4bar
v-spec model has an oil cooler on the diff,
other age checks you can do is check the seatbelts label.
hope that helps

you could also get someone from on here to veiw the car with you, we all know that i just want a skyline feeling.

#5 ·
it might depend how often the owner does servicing and the extent of your mods later on. My old R32 GTR looked/felt pretty stock when i bought it (and i thought it was good) however when i took the rocker cover off it was shocking-black goo everywhere,a sign that the oil wasn't changed frequently. The bearings in mine went after a while.

Then again, r32 gtr's are alot older so im interested as well to hear what the 33R owners have to say cos i want one soon as well!

#6 ·
Ok cool this is helping thank you so much, i very much looking forward to buy my 1st but as ive been look for around a year i really dont wana spend 8, 9, 10k and have a dog of a car so will look out for these things. Anymore info keep it coming.

Cheers guys

#7 ·
The trouble is mate everyone is very anal about mileage, people never talk about how many miles the rb engines can do, did'nt you know everyone's car has only done 40,000miles or less, people must never drive there cars, for the record my r33 gtr vspec has 78,000 on the clock, miles, and is running great, but i don't thrash it everywhere. Just my thoughts:thumbsup:

#15 ·
Deffo agree on undersealing, i've had mine waxoyled and will do it every couple of years, also i dont drive mine if its wet, it stays in the garage.Im thinking of getting a dehumidifier for my garage, has anyone done this and is it a good idea, your thoughts?

#16 ·
Thanks people for the help. I think ive found one going back for a 3rd look and will get it on the ramps. Dont wana say to much just incase someone pips me to it. But it looks very clean and looked after unlike some ive seen.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.